Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Aviation
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-24-2015, 11:18 AM

16,569 posts, read 15,274,757 times

Advertisements

Is there any prohibition against foreign airlines flying domestically? I can’t think of any that does. Why is that?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-24-2015, 11:35 AM

9,408 posts, read 11,932,122 times
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cabotage

Old 06-24-2015, 11:39 AM

14,611 posts, read 17,562,480 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyRider View Post
Is there any prohibition against foreign airlines flying domestically? I can’t think of any that does. Why is that?
By law, no more than 25% of a U.S. airline may be owned by foreign interests and must be under the "actual control" of U.S. citizens.

Virgin America, though the brainchild of British entrepreneur Sir Richard Branson, is a U.S. airline.

Flights like Air New Zealand's flight from Auckland to LAX and on to London are permitted to carry US passengers from LAX to London. This is codified as the 5th freedom under the "freedoms of the air" agreed to in the Convention on International Civil Aviation of 1944. To serve East Coast passengers they must either make an arrangement to coordinate flights to deliver US passengers to one of their non stop destinations to Auckland, or they could fly to Europe and on to the East Coast of the USA. While legal, the latter option would be difficult to turn a profit.

Old 06-24-2015, 11:40 AM

9,317 posts, read 21,004,968 times
More or less its a Off Shoot of the Jones Act for shipping (There is a aviation counterpart.)

A Foreign Carrier can not do Intra-US transport.

They can pick up, Drop off, even do Pickup Pickup US, Drop in another country, or Start, Drop in US, Drop in US, but can not carry passengers from two point in the US with out going thru a another country.

Old 06-24-2015, 12:40 PM

21,132 posts, read 19,714,475 times
Quote:
Why is that?
Extensive lobbying by the airlines and airline workers' unions.

(which I support because it keeps jobs here)

Old 06-24-2015, 12:59 PM

1,999 posts, read 4,996,363 times
Default Qanats JFK-LAX-JFk cabotage

Qantas operates QF108 JFK-LAX-SYD & QF107 SYD-LAX-JFK operated with a B747-400. There is no cabotage on the JFK-LAX-JFK segments. All pax on those segments either originate or will terminate in Australia.

Old 06-24-2015, 01:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retroit View Post
Extensive lobbying by the airlines and airline workers' unions.

(which I support because it keeps jobs here)
Las time I checked airlines were selling every single seat they could put on planes. A few more airlines aren't going to hurt anyone. This is so 70s. They’ll probably create jobs.

Old 06-24-2015, 11:06 PM

21,132 posts, read 19,714,475 times
Quote:
Las time I checked airlines were selling every single seat they could put on planes. A few more airlines aren't going to hurt anyone. This is so 70s. They’ll probably create jobs.
At the risk of turning this into a political debate instead of an aviation discussion, I respectfully disagree.

I would have no problem with the US market being opened up to foreign airlines provided certain conditions are met (which I highly doubt will be met). Those conditions are:
  1. Foreign airlines could not receive any subsidies from their government that are not received by US airlines from our government
  2. Foreign airline employees would be covered by the same flight/duty regulations and any other employment regulations as US airline employees
  3. Foreign airline employees would be allowed to unionize under the same provisions as US airline employees
  4. Foreign airlines would be subject to the same fees and taxes as US airlines, even within their own country
  5. All US airlines would have the same rights and privileges in other countries as those airlines have in theirs and ours
  6. Elimination of all government subsidies for aircraft purchases. For example, the US currently subsidizes foreign companies' purchases of Boeing aircraft through the Import-Export Bank, as I'm sure France and Germany probably do for Airbus. The problem with this as it relates to the current discussion is that when these subsidies are not equal across the board for all manufacturers, countries, and airlines, it gives inherently unfair disadvantages to those who are not privy to those subsidies.
  7. etc. (which I can't think of at the moment)
In other words, a truly level playing field, not a Free-Trade-for-them-but-not-a-Free-Trade-for-us playing field as currently exists in other industries.

Old 06-25-2015, 01:32 AM

14,611 posts, read 17,562,480 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Retroit View Post
In other words, a truly level playing field, not a Free-Trade-for-them-but-not-a-Free-Trade-for-us playing field as currently exists in other industries.
It will never happen on airlines. the situation with passenger ships has decayed to the point where there are almost no US flagged passenger ships. By now you would think that nobody would care if a foreign flagged cruise ship carried tourists from LA to Hawaii. There is no industry to compete with anymore. But still the cruise ships go to Ensenada before going to Hawaii.

There was an incident of a cruise ship breaking down in Ensenada. The passengers wanted to go back to LA in a taxi, but the cruise ship was worried about cabotage.

Old 06-25-2015, 05:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PacoMartin View Post
but the cruise ship was worried about cabotage.
This is not a typo, is it?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Aviation