U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Aviation
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-30-2015, 06:12 PM

14 posts, read 15,246 times

Advertisements

What are the pros and cons of the job?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-01-2015, 05:45 AM

1,808 posts, read 2,815,314 times
My stepfather was a deburrer for Rohr Industries in Chula Vista, CA, in the mid 1950s for a year. I worked for the same company from 1981 to 1984 as a manufacturing engineer. The job is the bottom of the barrel for the factory floor. It may be a way to get your foot in the door for skilled training.

Old 07-01-2015, 12:49 PM

41,478 posts, read 53,751,926 times
That job requires a lot of concentration but little skill. It is a good way to get into the system and learn the basics of metal working. The employer is mostly looking for people that will show up consistently to do a boring job. Showing up sober is the important part. Making the most of the opportunity is your most important task. Good luck.

FWIW - Deburring is important. Just about every metal part that is cut, turned, drilled or otherwise mangled develops burrs. Burrs can cut people and interfere with fitting the part to other parts.

FWIW - I was a machinist and machine builder back in the day and spent a lot of time deburring the things I made.

Old 07-01-2015, 12:55 PM

5,720 posts, read 5,755,336 times
When did the term for removing a burr from a piece of metal change from "burring" to "de-burring"? One doesn't refer to "de-peeling" an apple, or that there's more than one way to "de-skin" a cat.

Old 07-01-2015, 01:04 PM

41,478 posts, read 53,751,926 times
I was a machinist for many years and we always called it DEBURRING. Burring was the result of doing something else to the work piece. We never deliberately "burred" something. DEBURRING means removing burrs.

WE peel an Apple and create burrs on the peels. As the peels are a waste and not very sharp we do not take the effort to deburr them. We remove metal from a work piece on a lathe and that leaves sharp corners that can cut people so we round the corners a bit to make them dull and deburred.

Old 07-01-2015, 01:14 PM

5,720 posts, read 5,755,336 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW View Post
I was a machinist for many years and we always called it DEBURRING. Burring was the result of doing something else to the work piece. We never deliberately "burred" something. DEBURRING means removing burrs.

WE peel an Apple and create burrs on the peels. As the peels are a waste and not very sharp we do not take the effort to deburr them. We remove metal from a work piece on a lathe and that leaves sharp corners that can cut people so we round the corners a bit to make them dull and deburred.

In the cases where a burr on an edge of metal is desired, I call out "FORM A BURR".

To eliminate any confusion between reference to removing burrs as "BURR" or "DE-BURR", I call out "REMOVE ALL BURRS AND SHARP EDGES".

My sheet metal-worker father always referred to removing burrs as "burring", and had asked me when "DE-BURR" started being the term that was used.

Old 07-01-2015, 04:40 PM

2,422 posts, read 3,322,327 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich Cabeza View Post
My stepfather was a deburrer for Rohr Industries in Chula Vista, CA, in the mid 1950s for a year. I worked for the same company from 1981 to 1984 as a manufacturing engineer. The job is the bottom of the barrel for the factory floor. It may be a way to get your foot in the door for skilled training.
Interesting. If this position can get you to move up, learn other things and earn more money then why not? This job would seem very hard to land. Not in demand.

Old 07-01-2015, 08:49 PM

1,563 posts, read 2,137,722 times
Here is what you do you take the deburring job and you constantly show interest in CNC machines. Ask if the company offers tuition assistance. If they do start working towards a degree in CNC machining at a local junior college. Ask about becoming a machine operator. Most machine operators get 16-18 hr to start. With tons of overtime.

Just De-burring is rare these days. Most companies expect the machinist to deburr their own finished pieces. I am the CNC programmer for my company and I always program deburring into my programs. Anything I can't program generally can be fully deburred with emory cloth or a fine file. withing 2 or 3 mins.

If you want to be a CNC machinst with no prior experience this is the way to get your foot in the door.

deburring makes perfects sense, you are removing a burr.

PROS: Income, foot in the door, it's super easy.
CONS: boring, repetitive, low pay.

Last edited by AndyAMG; 07-01-2015 at 08:59 PM..

Old 07-03-2015, 02:54 AM

11,554 posts, read 5,554,198 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyAMG View Post
CONS: boring, repetitive, low pay.
After watching this I would have to agree!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OGyYZZyukH4
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Aviation
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or