Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Aviation
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Commercial Pilot X Freight Pilot X Private Pilot
Commercial Pilot 0 0%
Freight Pilot 5 71.43%
Private Pilot 2 28.57%
Voters: 7. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-26-2016, 05:11 AM

43,618 posts, read 44,346,965 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by wheelsup View Post
Charter and most corporate is poorly paid compared to the vast majority of the majors.
Most of the regional airlines pay much less than charter and corporate companies. As for the majors, one has to build up plenty of hours in order to get a pilot's job with them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-26-2016, 06:53 PM

13,811 posts, read 27,433,048 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chava61 View Post
Most of the regional airlines pay much less than charter and corporate companies. As for the majors, one has to build up plenty of hours in order to get a pilot's job with them.
Yeah not really. Starting pay at the regionals now is low 40's to low 50's at the better companies. QOL and benefits blow most charter away, not to mention mid term career earnings. Then factor in the vast majority of guys at the charter companies don't move on from that world without taking another step. Very, very rare to see 135 guys in classes at the majors. Most leave to go to the regionals after becoming fed up with lack of time off and career stagnation. Even the fractional companies like Netjets and Flexjet don't pay that well compared to the best major airlines and have had some serious career stagnation happen since 2008. It was great for guys who got hired early on but not now. I know a Delta Private Jets guy who was only making $80k as a check airman, I made over $20k more than that as a line guy at a regional.

Old 06-27-2016, 06:58 PM

27,307 posts, read 16,212,564 times
Heh, back in the 90's the owner of the local FBO knew I was typed in King Airs. He asked to bring one back that had hot sections done. Said sure no prob. Guy flies me to York, PA and after dropping me takes off. Wandered around the ramp until I found the shop. Walked in, dropped my name and he hands me the keys and said around the corner. Go around the corner and uh oh it's a 60's vintage C90. I am typed in 200's. Tried to get ahold of the owner but no luck. Two hours before sundown soooo I climbed in and after 30 minutes of staring at a nonstandard panel, figured out how to light the engines. Upshot was I got it to its destination. Owner was there and I told him I never flew the plane. He turned sheet white when I told him why.

Old 06-28-2016, 09:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by T-310 View Post
Heh, back in the 90's the owner of the local FBO knew I was typed in King Airs. He asked to bring one back that had hot sections done. Said sure no prob. Guy flies me to York, PA and after dropping me takes off. Wandered around the ramp until I found the shop. Walked in, dropped my name and he hands me the keys and said around the corner. Go around the corner and uh oh it's a 60's vintage C90. I am typed in 200's. Tried to get ahold of the owner but no luck. Two hours before sundown soooo I climbed in and after 30 minutes of staring at a nonstandard panel, figured out how to light the engines. Upshot was I got it to its destination. Owner was there and I told him I never flew the plane. He turned sheet white when I told him why.
No type rating exists for 200's.

Old 06-28-2016, 12:11 PM

1,394 posts, read 2,087,806 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chava61 View Post
If one is going for the better salary then a charter pilot is probably the best. But if one wants jumpseat benefits and airline travel benefits for significant others/immediate family members then working for an airline is the way to go.
Maybe there's a mythical charter job out there that's better than a major job, but I've never heard of it. There might be some out there better than a regional, but like wheelsup said, that landscape has changed, and is changing rapidly. Also, a regional job is the perfect stepping stone to a major job.

I did my time in the charter business in the mid '80's, tied to a beeper 24/7. If you didn't get called today, "oh btw, that was your day off", and your 6 day calendar started again.

Nothing quite as exhilarating as sitting around an FBO (if you're lucky!) for 2-10 hours wondering what time the passengers will show up. I once waited in HPN for Michael Douglas for over 6 hours after the time he said he'd be there, with nothing but a metal folding chair to sit on. No tip either. Thanks Mr. Gekko!!

I was responsible for catering, loading bags, cleaning the airplane, dealing with finding fuel, getting reimbursed for it, arranging outstation maintenance (and then getting repremanded for not carrying the broken airplane back to our Mx base) etc. etc.

All that for $800 per month, gross.

Granted, I am a fairly senior, 20+ year Captain, but I'll make nearly twice that, today, at my airline job.

At the time, I was young and needed the hours, so I didn't care, and I left for a commuter (regional) job as soon as I could. Today, I would retire and be a Wal Mart greeter before doing anything close to that again.

It is simply not worth any "adrenaline rush" it would be unlikely to provide.

Last edited by Tripower455; 06-28-2016 at 12:21 PM..

Old 06-28-2016, 02:28 PM

2,452 posts, read 2,379,001 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tripower455 View Post
Maybe there's a mythical charter job out there that's better than a major job, but I've never heard of it. There might be some out there better than a regional, but like wheelsup said, that landscape has changed, and is changing rapidly. Also, a regional job is the perfect stepping stone to a major job.

I did my time in the charter business in the mid '80's, tied to a beeper 24/7. If you didn't get called today, "oh btw, that was your day off", and your 6 day calendar started again.

Nothing quite as exhilarating as sitting around an FBO (if you're lucky!) for 2-10 hours wondering what time the passengers will show up. I once waited in HPN for Michael Douglas for over 6 hours after the time he said he'd be there, with nothing but a metal folding chair to sit on. No tip either. Thanks Mr. Gekko!!

I was responsible for catering, loading bags, cleaning the airplane, dealing with finding fuel, getting reimbursed for it, arranging outstation maintenance (and then getting repremanded for not carrying the broken airplane back to our Mx base) etc. etc.

All that for $800 per month, gross.

Granted, I am a fairly senior, 20+ year Captain, but I'll make nearly twice that, today, at my airline job.

At the time, I was young and needed the hours, so I didn't care, and I left for a commuter (regional) job as soon as I could. Today, I would retire and be a Wal Mart greeter before doing anything close to that again.

It is simply not worth any "adrenaline rush" it would be unlikely to provide.
Very nice response i did like "I was responsible for catering, loading bags, cleaning the airplane, dealing with finding fuel, getting reimbursed for it, arranging outstation maintenance (and then getting repremanded for not carrying the broken airplane back to our Mx base)" iam a hands on person. i would rather work as garbage truck drive than sit at an office

Old 06-30-2016, 11:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by survivingearth View Post
Very nice response i did like "I was responsible for catering, loading bags, cleaning the airplane, dealing with finding fuel, getting reimbursed for it, arranging outstation maintenance (and then getting repremanded for not carrying the broken airplane back to our Mx base)" iam a hands on person. i would rather work as garbage truck drive than sit at an office
Those, as well as the lack of time off and abysmal pay, were the bad parts.....

Old 07-01-2016, 10:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tripower455 View Post
Those, as well as the lack of time off and abysmal pay, were the bad parts.....

I don't know about you but I didn't go to college or spend thousands on flight training to load bags and clean toilets .

Old 07-01-2016, 10:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wheelsup View Post
I don't know about you but I didn't go to college or spend thousands on flight training to load bags and clean toilets .
Yup..... Or be a slave for the rest of my career!

Old 08-28-2018, 03:48 PM

50,334 posts, read 63,906,560 times
My friend’s husband who was a commercial pilot, retired from that to be a cargo pilot in the Caribbean, so they retired to FL and he flies the occasional cargo flights to the islands.

My other friends husband, retired from commercial, and they retired to Lake Erie. I don’t get that, but ok.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Aviation