Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Aviation
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-13-2018, 04:50 AM

34,228 posts, read 18,561,496 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SluggoF16 View Post
Maybe you're on to something, I shared this with my legal assistant wife who lawyered it. Since the engine takes in fuel, and mixes it with compressed air, the claim that compressed air operates the engine is not in fact false. The lawyers would pronounce it as a safe statement. The claim that compressed air is the only thing that makes an engine produce thrust is the YGBSM statement. I guess those AET-288, AET-308 and AET-360 courses I took in college (jet engine mechanics, propulsion, and thermodynamics... had to look at my transcript) were all for naught if true, but having torn an engine apart (a P&W J57) as part of the 288 class, it seems sort of wasteful to have put a diffuser, combustor, fuel injectors and spray bars, igniters and turbine in the engine. That's extra weight that cuts into the bottom line for airliners.

It's not amazing that people can be so stupid, it's scary.
I was always taught a turbine engine was just a big kerosene powered compressor.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-13-2018, 07:04 AM

24,276 posts, read 13,132,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilot1 View Post
I was always taught a turbine engine was just a big kerosene powered compressor.

They don't all run on kerosene. Some can run on just about any liquid hydrocarbon. As for the engine, it's just the common suck-squeeze-bang-blow process.

Old 03-13-2018, 11:34 AM

7,887 posts, read 11,401,514 times
Not enough room in the current curriculum to teach real science when PC demands safe space and the evils of AGW and that any questioning of any aspect us grounds for hanging for stupidity.

Old 03-13-2018, 02:12 PM

23,766 posts, read 29,034,674 times
I don't think anyone really knows what keeps the planes in the air, maybe it's wire

Old 03-14-2018, 06:32 AM

5,718 posts, read 7,253,680 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SluggoF16 View Post
They don't all run on kerosene. Some can run on just about any liquid hydrocarbon. As for the engine, it's just the common suck-squeeze-bang-blow process.
When Andy Granatelli introduced his turbine-powered race car at Indianapolis, they were joking about its ability to run on just about any combustible fluid. Andy's son said that they should run it on Chanel No. 5 and drive the crowd mad with passion every time the car went past the grandstand.

Old 03-14-2018, 10:15 AM

24,276 posts, read 13,132,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by P47P47 View Post
When Andy Granatelli introduced his turbine-powered race car at Indianapolis, they were joking about its ability to run on just about any combustible fluid. Andy's son said that they should run it on Chanel No. 5 and drive the crowd mad with passion every time the car went past the grandstand.
I'll have to pass that on to my niece's husband... he works with a team at Indy.

When I flew the OV-10 the T76 engines (civilian equivalent: Garrett TPE-331) had an adjustment screw on the fuel control, accessible from the main landing gear wells. It was adjustable with an allen wrench, and was used to change the engine settings based on different fuels, according to a chart in the flight manual and checklist. I had the privilege of flying with a couple of Vietnam FACs who said it could run on cooking oil, which at the time they told me was almost unbelievable, but not so much anymore.

Old 03-15-2018, 01:46 PM

34,228 posts, read 18,561,496 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ghengis View Post
i don't think anyone really knows what keeps the planes in the air, maybe it's wire
money

Old 03-15-2018, 06:34 PM

3,376 posts, read 6,102,410 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilot1 View Post
money
That pretty much sums it up. Fuel, training costs, maintenance costs, licensing costs. It's a wealthy person's sport/game/con.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Aviation