Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Aviation
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-12-2023, 09:54 PM

859 posts, read 694,777 times

Advertisements

How long would you say a "long-haul" flight is in either distance or time? I'd say over 5 or 6 hours about.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-13-2023, 11:29 AM

16,553 posts, read 10,614,216 times
I don't know if there's an accepted definition or not. I used to consider it being anything that was so long that it couldn't be accomplished by a narrowbody plane, meaning maybe 7 or 8 hours minimum. But that doesn't work as well now, given the long range of the A-321. I'd probably still say 8 hours, because that's a typical flight across the Atlantic Ocean from the East Coast, which conceptually feels "long haul" to me.

Old 12-13-2023, 11:38 AM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,700 posts, read 58,012,579 times
Remember that anything over 6 hours flying time is considered long haul, but flights of longer than 10 hours are not uncommon either.
Most of the USA can be crossed in 5-6 hrs,

Several definitions of "Long_haul"
  • Carrier / Continent
  • Distance
  • Time
  • Aircraft...
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flight_length

Old 12-13-2023, 11:42 AM

4,022 posts, read 1,874,326 times
If the plane has just a small-ish cockpit and a single crew (of pilots, I mean) and that crew does not take a rest break or swap out with others - then it's probably not a long haul. This is routinely the case in the USA, coast to coast - five or six hours, still not long haul. Narrow body, weak first class, bored pilot.

Note there is no official definition here - and where it is "official" by an airline, it will be different from another airline.

Safe to say though, 1000 miles and under is not long haul and 3000 miles and over usually is.

Old 12-13-2023, 01:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by roodd279 View Post
If the plane has just a small-ish cockpit and a single crew (of pilots, I mean) and that crew does not take a rest break or swap out with others - then it's probably not a long haul. This is routinely the case in the USA, coast to coast - five or six hours, still not long haul. Narrow body, weak first class, bored pilot.

Note there is no official definition here - and where it is "official" by an airline, it will be different from another airline.

Safe to say though, 1000 miles and under is not long haul and 3000 miles and over usually is.
I definitely see this.

Every transatlantic flight from the east coast I've taken has had in-flight entertainment and full meal service. Cross-country flights are less likely to have that, and I have done DC-SF flights without seatback screens or meal service. I agree with about 3000 miles. East coast to Iceland flights are also more of mid-haul, as some airlines run them without inflight entertainment.

Old 12-13-2023, 01:41 PM

505 posts, read 261,104 times
If you cross the Atlantic frequently it does not seem long haul.

But those 13-14 hour Pacific flights might qualify as long haul.

But ... if you count stops, then long-haul takes on a different meaning altogether. Once spent 54 hours en route from Raleigh to Washington-Dulles to Frankfurt ( 13 hour layover ) to Johannesburg to Cape Town.

Old 12-13-2023, 05:10 PM

2,295 posts, read 1,515,043 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Corey the Otter View Post
How long would you say a "long-haul" flight is in either distance or time? I'd say over 5 or 6 hours about.
I would be thinking more than about ten hours. Such as the Dubai to Sydney ordeal!

Old 12-13-2023, 07:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarisaAnna View Post
I would be thinking more than about ten hours. Such as the Dubai to Sydney ordeal!
I guess it is longer when the big cities are far apart the way they are in Australia.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Aviation