Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Aviation
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-09-2022, 03:18 PM

6,913 posts, read 3,370,512 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bus man View Post
Completely correct regarding wide-body seat widths, much to the chagrin of anyone who is stuck on one of these planes for a long-haul flight. However, I wasn't aware that any operator of the A330 had nine-abreast; I've only heard of eight-abreast on that plane. As for the narrowbodies, it depends. Southwest is 17.8" only on the 737 MAX; their 737-700 and 737-800 aircraft are 17". To my knowledge, the only 19" in regular economy is the A220, which is one of the reasons why the A220 has become my favorite narrowbody aircraft. Are any of the planes with 16.5" "regular" narrowbodies, as opposed to regional jets? The regionals sure are cramped, no question about it.
Currently 10 airlines run at least some A330s with 9 across - very tight and more than a few are running the newer planes with an extra seat across - there definitely is some reduction in width happening but the focus of the FAA study is emergency evacuation and primarily looking at pitch although narrower seats mean more going through the exits so is related. Some seats with the trays in the armrest are 16.5" - most seats are 17" minimum in the narrow bodies but these narrow seats do exist - and without space under the arm, hip width is reduced even more.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-10-2022, 04:38 AM

15,427 posts, read 25,795,620 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by albert648 View Post
Passengers of Size should buy a second seat.

And on international flights, Premium Economy is a thing and is basically exactly what you describe (with a few extra perks).
Many Premium Economy seats are the same as regular economy seats, but with more pitch. They are not exactly what he describes.

Old 11-10-2022, 06:45 AM

9,952 posts, read 6,665,261 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkf747 View Post
Many Premium Economy seats are the same as regular economy seats, but with more pitch. They are not exactly what he describes.
Right, and both seat pitch and width are issues for safety. Pitch matters for actually getting in and out of the row. If you actually squished into the seat itself because it’s too narrow, that’s still going to compromise the ability to evacuate.

According to that other thread, United is already blocking off 5-6 seats during the holiday season due to the likelihood of being overweight with everyone coming on with their winter gear. It seems like that was actually based on average weight BEFORE the pandemic, so it’s likely to be even worse now. It would seem like there is actually a limit to how many people you can squeeze on a plane and we’ve reached it. The most desirable option would just be to remove a row or two, which would help with the seat pitch problem.

Old 11-10-2022, 08:46 AM

8,181 posts, read 2,788,551 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkf747 View Post
Hence my caveat "on international flights". Premium Economy is not offered on most domestic flights. Maybe they should.

What you're describing is Economy Plus (UA), Main Cabin Extra (AA), or Comfort+ (DL) which is not a Premium Economy product. At least on United and American, the Premium Economy seats are sold as Economy Plus/Main Cabin Extra if an aircraft equipped with it is operating a domestic flight where Premium Economy isn't offered. Domestic First Class has about the same dimensions as International Premium Economy.

Old 11-10-2022, 09:53 AM

3,345 posts, read 2,306,314 times
Its interesting that smaller jets seems to have much more room for people inside. Embraer jets seem to have the most room inside of any plane I been on as will as small prop planes the aisle is almost twice as wide and seats are wider and have more pitch as well just like most larger planes in the old days. The only thing it doesn't shine on is overhead bin space for carryons but thats only due to the lower height of the fuselage.

Old 11-10-2022, 12:37 PM

16,555 posts, read 10,607,780 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by citizensadvocate View Post
Its interesting that smaller jets seems to have much more room for people inside. Embraer jets seem to have the most room inside of any plane I been on as will as small prop planes the aisle is almost twice as wide and seats are wider and have more pitch as well just like most larger planes in the old days. The only thing it doesn't shine on is overhead bin space for carryons but thats only due to the lower height of the fuselage.
This certainly wasn't my experience on the CRJ-200. Talk about cramped! I do agree that the E-170 is probably the best regional airliner out there.

Old 11-10-2022, 04:15 PM

10,545 posts, read 7,735,179 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by citizensadvocate View Post
Is that the plane Horizon air uses? Try getting into the bathroom. If you have large feet and/or are quite overweight-good luck!

I'm the former. It's real tight quarters in there.

I believe the seat legroom is identical to the Alaska airlines jets in standard class. Not sure though.

Old 11-10-2022, 07:37 PM

16,555 posts, read 10,607,780 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arktikos View Post
Is that the plane Horizon air uses? Try getting into the bathroom. If you have large feet and/or are quite overweight-good luck!

I'm the former. It's real tight quarters in there.

I believe the seat legroom is identical to the Alaska airlines jets in standard class. Not sure though.
Horizon Air uses the Q400. Personally, I like them; they might be the most comfortable propeller plane out there. I haven't used the bathroom on one, so I can't comment on that. But I've used the loos on Southwest's 737-700 planes, and that sure is a tight fit. I'm not a small person, but I'm not the biggest person out there either. I honestly don't know how people larger than myself can even fit inside those horrible claustrophobia bins.

Old 11-11-2022, 05:00 AM

15,427 posts, read 25,795,620 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by albert648 View Post
Hence my caveat "on international flights". Premium Economy is not offered on most domestic flights. Maybe they should.

What you're describing is Economy Plus (UA), Main Cabin Extra (AA), or Comfort+ (DL) which is not a Premium Economy product. At least on United and American, the Premium Economy seats are sold as Economy Plus/Main Cabin Extra if an aircraft equipped with it is operating a domestic flight where Premium Economy isn't offered. Domestic First Class has about the same dimensions as International Premium Economy.
I see. Thank you for pointing that out. I think you are correct.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Aviation