Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Baltimore
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-27-2010, 07:46 PM

2 posts, read 7,453 times

Advertisements

First, I just want to say thanks for all the people that contribute to these forums as they are invaluable assets. I would greatly appreciate everyone’s knowledge about a decision I have to make and will try not to make this too long.

Background info: I grew up in Destin, FL and am currently working in Biloxi, MS. I’m a 24 year old single accountant that doesn’t care to live in a downtown type environment. My company made me an offer to move me to Baltimore and give me a promotion. I currently have a very nice house on the golf course here but I am thinking if I move to Baltimore I would want to start in an apartment. I’ve done a few hours of research for apartments on the net and am not finding anything similar to other cities. In Florida there are awesome apartment complexes for really cheap. So I need everyone’s help. Here are my areas of concern.

Location: I’m not a huge fan of commuting and hate traffic. I’ll be working around BWI so hopefully no more than 15 minute commute. I want something that is not in a shady area and has good parking as I drive a new BMW and don’t want to have to worry about it. My ideal complex would be a mix of higher end college students and young professionals. I would like it to be near shopping, church, outdoor activities.

My BIGGEST factor is that I have a 60lb boxer/American bulldog mix that is an amazing dog and is coming with me. I think my biggest problem is going to be getting a nice place, that is dog friendly. I would like to be close to a dog park or some other type of area where I can take her.

So given these parameters, where would be the best apartments or townhomes to live?

Thanks for the info, Josh

Last edited by conceptbass03; 06-27-2010 at 07:49 PM.. Reason: correct errors.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-28-2010, 04:51 AM

1,757 posts, read 5,138,453 times
I think the most significant thing you'll find is how much more expensive housing is up here. I would talk to your company about subsidizing a large percentage of it for at least the first 6 months as you get acclimated.

Judging by what you've said, I personally wouldn't go for an apartment complex. It is a downtown city area and with a dog it's not a very ideal environment. My suggestion is if you would like to be in the city, find a row house in one of the younger areas (Canton, Fell's Pt, Federal Hill etc) as all are within walking distance to parks, restaurants/bars and night life. I think you'd have much better luck finding a dog friendly home in those areas plus there are properties with their own parking pads. The nice thing to is if you live in the city and work in the suburbs, there is virtually little to no traffic as everyone goes into the city when you leave and vice versa at night.

I'm a realtor in the city so if you'd like some more information, feel free to PM me.

Old 06-28-2010, 05:06 AM

7,301 posts, read 13,516,151 times
I am a city guy, too, but I have a friend who rents in this development south of the airport: Welcome to Piney Orchard

Piney Orchard is sort of a planned community with a lot of apartments and the like. It's in a quiet corner of Anne Arundel County and is pretty close to Baltimore, Annapolis, and DC. There's some nature paths in the development, I think.

My friend and his wife have a dog so I guess they're allowed. I don't think I would enjoy living there but based on your criterion I think you might.

Old 06-28-2010, 07:13 PM

2 posts, read 7,453 times
Dave and handsup, thank you for the wonderful information.

Dave, that is a very good point about opposing traffic directions about living near Canton. I didn't even think about that. However, I will have to check this out myself to understand the full ramifications of it. Last time I was in Baltimore every night i went to a different area. One night was powerplant live, the next was canton square, the next was Annap...so I do like the area so far, but next time I before I make a decision I'll do a pure leisure trip on my own.

Handsup, Piney Orchard seems like an awesome place from the description! I wish they had more photos of it though on their website for prospective residents. Looking at it from google earth, it shows the drive from P.O. to BWI at 8.7 miles north on 170. Is that road manly rural drive or is it all stop and go red lights?

Old 06-29-2010, 07:08 AM

7,301 posts, read 13,516,151 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by conceptbass03 View Post
Looking at it from google earth, it shows the drive from P.O. to BWI at 8.7 miles north on 170. Is that road manly rural drive or is it all stop and go red lights?
I don't drive it often, but last Monday at PM rush hour I drove from where I live in the city to my friend's in Piney Orchard in under 30 minutes via U.S. 1, 195 and 170 (known locally as Telegraph Rd). 170 moves pretty well. Not too many lights, and I know that the main intersection of Piney Orchard has a traffic circle (or rotary, or roundabout, these are all regional terms that mean the same thing) which keeps traffic moving.

I don't think traffic on 170 would be a problem. Lots of people who live there commute to BWI area businesses, but plenty more commute to Fort Meade and Washington.

Also, if you play hockey, there's a rink right there where the Capitals used to practice.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Baltimore
View detailed profiles of: