Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Baltimore
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-17-2011, 06:13 PM

6,999 posts, read 11,293,992 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sl0622 View Post
Baltimore (238) and Philly (302) are on par. The rest of that list is useless for comparison purposes. Not even Richmond or Pittsburgh can be considered comparable cities. (Good to see there were no murders in my teeny little home township of Buckingham, PA!)
I didn't set up the comparison, NCOriole did. He/She didn't specify anything in regard to city size, so I am free to use all cities as evidence to show my point.

If NCOriole would like to concede that he/she is wrong about "Baltimore having one of the lowest random murder rates in the country" based on the evidence that there are at least 10 cities on my list from 3/50 states with ZERO overall murders, let alone random ones, and propose another claim based on cities of a certain population, I can pull that data, too.

You certainly don't believe the original claim, sl0622, do you?

Last edited by westsideboy; 05-17-2011 at 06:22 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-18-2011, 09:16 AM

45 posts, read 147,137 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fredperry View Post
We used to live in Baltimore but had to keep moving and moving each time the neighborhoods got worse and crime increased. Finally we moved out of Maryland and are VERY happy. I would tell anyone do not move to Baltimore. Just like living in Detroit. HELL

ha ha, I agree! And don't forget the auto insurance cost! City taxes are ridiculous, a police dept. that is riddled with scandal. the pot holes, bed bug epidemic, and the humidity in Baltimore is atrocious. the crack/meth users, and the small business man suffers the most. Baltimore city schools are in dire straights! Students can not/will not do basic math, writing/spelling skills are deplorable. Language skills are non-existent. The only thing that saved me is my Columbia education. The price of apartments is crazy. You have to rent for $1500 ++ (that's a mortgage payment) to live in a safe neighborhood. Did anyone forget the "ground rent"!! What is that? We are moving to VA and cannot believe what we can get compared to here. The job market in MD is great, but when you get a job, it's cut-throat! Not very nice work environments. And don't let me forget the kicker: in state tuition for illegal immigrants? say what??? Let me tell you from first hand observation (govt. worker) they DRAIN the social services -illegal workers with work related injuries costing thousands of dollars, free clinic w/pregnant moms, it's crazy the cost, and they will not practice safe sex. My spanish neighbors downstairs when they have visitors, they literally throw their trash from their car on our parking lot! I don't get it. But we are gone by November 2011. O! and the Harbor is "so nice" with lots of police protection, but what about the walk to your car??? You can't tell me you are practically RUNNING to get to the garage safely. If you park on the street, your car WILL get dinged, or the parking patrol WILL ticket your car after one second past time.

Old 05-18-2011, 10:01 AM

158 posts, read 395,512 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by westsideboy View Post

"Lowest" is probably incorrect, sure. But I agree with the general sentiment I think the original poster was trying to convey - that unless you're somehow wrapped up in the Baltimore drug war (whether you use, sell, or try to intervene in some way b/c you're outraged that it's taking place in front of your house or on your corner - sad, but true), and if you generally don't take typical city-type risks like taking leisurely strolls in so-so areas late at night, or yapping on your iPhone or fooling with your iPad or iPod and not paying attention to your surroundings (day or night, even in better than than so-so areas), and just generally trust your gut ("Hmmm - does it feel safe to sit here at this bus stop on North Avenue at 2:30am?") you're probably going to be A-OK. Even getting your car broken into isn't random - you likely left something out that caught someone's eye - even some pathetic change in the cupholder.

I work in North Bethesda, right next to the White Flint Mall - - remember the DC Sniper? Can't get more random than that. I would rather take my "chances" living in Baltimore and knowing what areas to avoid and what times I don't think a whole lot in Baltimore is random if you're smart about your surroundings. But that's just my impression and I've only known Baltimore reasonably well for about 3 years or so.

Old 05-18-2011, 12:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sl0622 View Post
"Lowest" is probably incorrect, sure. But I agree with the general sentiment I think the original poster was trying to convey - that unless you're somehow wrapped up in the Baltimore drug war (whether you use, sell, or try to intervene in some way b/c you're outraged that it's taking place in front of your house or on your corner - sad, but true), and if you generally don't take typical city-type risks like taking leisurely strolls in so-so areas late at night, or yapping on your iPhone or fooling with your iPad or iPod and not paying attention to your surroundings (day or night, even in better than than so-so areas), and just generally trust your gut ("Hmmm - does it feel safe to sit here at this bus stop on North Avenue at 2:30am?") you're probably going to be A-OK. Even getting your car broken into isn't random - you likely left something out that caught someone's eye - even some pathetic change in the cupholder.

I work in North Bethesda, right next to the White Flint Mall - - remember the DC Sniper? Can't get more random than that. I would rather take my "chances" living in Baltimore and knowing what areas to avoid and what times I don't think a whole lot in Baltimore is random if you're smart about your surroundings. But that's just my impression and I've only known Baltimore reasonably well for about 3 years or so.
That is my only real point. Be smart, be safe, but everyone should be realistic and not sugercoat the bitter parts of living in the city.

Old 05-21-2011, 03:07 PM

296 posts, read 638,297 times
think i would worry more about being raped and beaten then just out right shot and killed.

Old 05-23-2011, 10:20 PM

1,081 posts, read 2,266,552 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by westsideboy View Post
I didn't set up the comparison, NCOriole did. He/She didn't specify anything in regard to city size, so I am free to use all cities as evidence to show my point.

If NCOriole would like to concede that he/she is wrong about "Baltimore having one of the lowest random murder rates in the country" based on the evidence that there are at least 10 cities on my list from 3/50 states with ZERO overall murders, let alone random ones, and propose another claim based on cities of a certain population, I can pull that data, too.

I'm no conceding anything. If you want to compare Baltimore and Upper Geek White Town, Pa, then you win. But be real.

Old 05-24-2011, 07:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCOriolesfan View Post
I'm no conceding anything. If you want to compare Baltimore and Upper Geek White Town, Pa, then you win. But be real.
That's a good attitude. Never concede anything, make them beat you fair and square.

Old 05-24-2011, 10:18 AM

2,713 posts, read 3,022,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NCOriolesfan View Post

Old 09-11-2011, 07:54 PM

23 posts, read 49,402 times
Duh, anywhere Blacks live is Dangerous, especially for white people.

Old 09-12-2011, 02:07 AM

1,081 posts, read 2,266,552 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GOOD BYE SF BAY View Post
Duh, anywhere Blacks live is Dangerous, especially for white people.
I'm assuming this is a joke.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Baltimore