Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Baltimore
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-30-2010, 07:39 AM

15 posts, read 39,930 times

Advertisements

Your daughter should live in Mt Vernon, there are relatively inexpensive places to live. A townhouse is charming but arguable less safe than a larger building. If she works p/t in Mt. V and is going to law school in that area her plan does not make a lot of sense.

Does she have a car? I guess if she finds a place with secure parking and drives to and from the school it would work.

If she thinks she is going to be walking around late at night she ought to be close to her school.
She should call the law school housing office and ask their advice on where to look and where to live.
She would do well to find a fellow night student!
Good luck to both of you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-30-2010, 01:39 PM

569 posts, read 1,442,854 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nycistheplace2 View Post
There have been 3 homicides within a 1 block radius from orleans street on the east side. Its not in transition to me. I was just in Baltimore 4 days ago and everyone was still there, same poverty, same crime, same people.
It might be changing but for a presumably white female she will be a target.

Yeah but those murders were north of Fayette. I know...too close for comfort. I'm not disagreeing with you that it is definitely dangerous for a single female to be living that close to the action.

My point is that there is quite a difference between the north side of Fayette and the south side of it, racially and economically. Jonj can probably attest to this since he lives there.

Old 07-30-2010, 07:20 PM

447 posts, read 1,564,596 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ToneGrail View Post
Yeah but those murders were north of Fayette. I know...too close for comfort. I'm not disagreeing with you that it is definitely dangerous for a single female to be living that close to the action.

My point is that there is quite a difference between the north side of Fayette and the south side of it, racially and economically. Jonj can probably attest to this since he lives there.
But it kinda sucks that you cant travel one block up the street for fear of something happening.

Old 07-30-2010, 10:36 PM

569 posts, read 1,442,854 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nycistheplace2 View Post
But it kinda sucks that you cant travel one block up the street for fear of something happening.
Welcome to Bodymore!

Old 07-31-2010, 01:02 PM

4,383 posts, read 16,766,060 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ToneGrail View Post
Welcome to Bodymore!
How original! great comment. With such an in depth, thoughtful, and educated comment, you truly are valued here.

Old 08-02-2010, 04:33 AM

4,139 posts, read 4,528,885 times
All of these posts debating the safety of Baltimore neighborhoods are the same. If you are comfortable in an urban setting where violent crime is pervasive a few blocks away but, where your blocks are solidly working/middle class with community organization, go for it. If on the other hand, the idea that crime could "spill over" into your safely zone, e.g., a stray bullet, a criminal "passing through" on his/her way back to the wrong side of whatever boundary is the perceived line of demarcation, then opt out and move to an area with statistically considerably less crime overall. Nobody can make the choice for you. Some folks love city life and accept the violent crime rate as the price of living where they want. Others don't find the advantages outweight the disadvantages, it's a personal choice. Bottom line, there are not many areas of the city where you can continue in the same direction for very long before you cross a "boundary". That is simply the reality of Baltimore City.

Old 08-03-2010, 08:03 PM

1,973 posts, read 6,809,455 times
Default Excellent post

nurider2002 tells like it is.

Old 08-07-2010, 04:47 PM

149 posts, read 496,785 times
She should check out canton and fells point...those are further south and a bit safer to me. I think the best bet is to life as close to school as possible but in a safe area. Mt vernon is great.

Old 08-08-2010, 01:56 PM

447 posts, read 1,564,596 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nurider2002 View Post
All of these posts debating the safety of Baltimore neighborhoods are the same. If you are comfortable in an urban setting where violent crime is pervasive a few blocks away but, where your blocks are solidly working/middle class with community organization, go for it. If on the other hand, the idea that crime could "spill over" into your safely zone, e.g., a stray bullet, a criminal "passing through" on his/her way back to the wrong side of whatever boundary is the perceived line of demarcation, then opt out and move to an area with statistically considerably less crime overall. Nobody can make the choice for you. Some folks love city life and accept the violent crime rate as the price of living where they want. Others don't find the advantages outweight the disadvantages, it's a personal choice. Bottom line, there are not many areas of the city where you can continue in the same direction for very long before you cross a "boundary". That is simply the reality of Baltimore City.
That's body-more,murderland for you.
A criminal could easily be on his way through that area.
Look on street view on one block north of Patterson Park. It would look normal and middle/working class. Then look 3 blocks north you'll see Vacant buildings and run down row-houses plus everything else that comes with a bad neighborhood.

Old 05-06-2012, 05:23 PM

1 posts, read 1,867 times
Hello, I noticed that these threads were a couple of years old and wanted to see if opinions of the area are still the same. I have an opportunity to move into a row house a few blocks north-east of Patterson Park - I'd like to know if it is a relatively safe place for two 24 year old females, and if anyone is aware of the current crime trends. Any information you may have would be very helpful!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Baltimore