Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Baltimore
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-28-2010, 09:13 AM

7,301 posts, read 13,513,021 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlaimAlbertsons View Post
HandsUp thanks for your advice as well. You're right - I'm not looking to drink my face off but I'm sure not all areas are like that right?
No, I don't think so. And not every place in Federal Hill or Towson is like that on the weekends, either. It just seems to be that's the scene.

The Canton/Patterson Park area seems to be very popular with people with your tastes.

I'd also check out Charles Village and Hampden as well. I've lived in both - good young crowd. Hampden is the "hip" area, so is said, but it's no Brooklyn. W. 36th is the main drag (The Avenue, as it is known locally).

My advice is to get out of the car and walk around the neighborhoods, too. Get a cup of coffee, talk to people. This is a city of lots of neighborhoods and each has a different "feel" to it - sometimes vastly different. I think you can find a living space that will suit you just about anywhere in the city or suburbs but finding a neighborhood/community that suits you will be the real challenge.

It's like trying on clothes - stuff fits, or it doesn't. But when it does, you'll know it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-28-2010, 11:07 AM

103 posts, read 410,219 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HandsUpThumbsDown View Post
Towson caters to a drink-your-face-off early 20's college crowd... many, when they leave college, wish to try something else.

Of course, Federal hill on the weekend seems to be a mid-to-late 20s drink-your-face-off crowd.

I'm glad you're coming to visit - keep updated with this forum if you have specific questions, we'd be happy to help, I'm sure.

This neighborhood summary may be useful: Live in Baltimore - Neighborhood Profiles
Maybe, I know plenty of people who found jobs in and around the Towson area upon leaving college. It's not ALL like that, but as you mention there are plenty of places in the city like that too... Powerplant, Canton, Fells etc. The main point of my post was Jonjj was once again spewing his anti Baltimore County rhetoric portraying Towson as boring with no "social scene". If you like to visit museums and look at art all day then sure perhaps Towson is boring in that regard. For someone in their 20's, I think it's fine.

Old 07-28-2010, 11:38 AM

4,180 posts, read 14,595,746 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cbrc5ed View Post
Maybe, I know plenty of people who found jobs in and around the Towson area upon leaving college. It's not ALL like that, but as you mention there are plenty of places in the city like that too... Powerplant, Canton, Fells etc. The main point of my post was Jonjj was once again spewing his anti Baltimore County rhetoric portraying Towson as boring with no "social scene". If you like to visit museums and look at art all day then sure perhaps Towson is boring in that regard. For someone in their 20's, I think it's fine.
LOL--Wow. Was that a personal hit? Okay, sometimes I deserve it. But for the record, I have often written on this site that city-living is not for everyone. I don't feel that I have necessarily "attacked" the county. I seriously did not know that Towson had that big of a "social scene". I admit, I am not to familiar with Towson other than the standard drive-thru. I have never walked along the streets nor even bussed to the area. I genuinely don't see that much pedestrian traffic when doing so and I rarely ever go there at night. I will take your word for it that the college kids have places to go there. So, I apologize if my statement was offensive.
Oh, I am not "Anti-Baltimore County". I am "anti-useless sprawl". America is filled with it so I take no particular aim to the county.

For the record, if you want that car/garage/shopping strip lifestyle: head to the county. Just not my preference-that's all.

Old 07-28-2010, 11:40 AM

4,383 posts, read 16,762,823 times
Ive had enough experience with Towson to conclude that it's not a very exciting place

Old 07-29-2010, 03:12 PM

1,973 posts, read 6,808,058 times
Default Life's unending mysteries

Pray, tell me why it is always bars that are supposed to be the social centers of young-adult life? What happened meeting would-be dates at churches, etc? Plenty of them in Towson, ranging from very-old-young-adults at the Towson Unitarian (is that a church?) to the holy rollers at Rock Church.
I suppose the OP has wheels. In that case the location of your apartment makes relatively little difference. You can always move once you get to know the Baltimore area and know where you heart is.
HandsUpThumbsDown gave the best piece of advice:
My advice is to get out of the car and walk around the neighborhoods, too. Get a cup of coffee, talk to people. This is a city of lots of neighborhoods and each has a different "feel" to it - sometimes vastly different. I think you can find a living space that will suit you just about anywhere in the city or suburbs but finding a neighborhood/community that suits you will be the real challenge.
Get involved. You will meet people who share your interests. Good luck.

Old 07-30-2010, 10:39 PM

569 posts, read 1,442,497 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonjj View Post
There's a "social scene' in Towson? Where? the mall?
The Circle. Have you not been there? It's teeming with college students and young professionals.

Old 07-31-2010, 06:07 PM

13 posts, read 43,248 times
Thanks for the advice guys. I was out there for about 24 hours and drove around a bit.

It wasn't nearly enough time to get a feel of places, though I think I wouldn't want to live in the downtown area, a bit too crowded, but I'm not making any concrete decisions yet.

When I do go up there I'll likely spend a week or so at a hotel to find a place, and then go from there.

Any advice still welcome. I guess really I dont need to be located in the "hip" areas, they just need to be within driving distance.

Old 08-02-2010, 10:23 AM

8 posts, read 14,425 times
I am moving to baltimore from ny within 2 weeks. I found a great place for under 700.00 in the Canton area. The apt place is called Boston Crossing Apartments on Boston Road. They are super nice people.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Baltimore
View detailed profiles of: