Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Baltimore
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-04-2010, 02:59 PM

10 posts, read 22,427 times

Advertisements

I can't find a lot of info. of that area.
Is it a good neigborhood? Safe?
I'm a single woman and looking to buy a house there (clyburn meadow).
If someone can help, I'd really appriciated.
Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-04-2010, 03:21 PM

1,973 posts, read 6,805,637 times
Default It's Cylburn

The area you have in mind is Cylburn, south of Sinai Hospital and Cylburn arboretum and west of Coldspring New Town. I haven't been inside the townhouses but have driven by.
Cylburn Meadows Real Estate - Cylburn Meadows Homes For Sale - Search Urban Brokers (http://www.urbanbrokers.com/real-estate/cylburn-meadows_baltimore/ - broken link)
Cylburn Arboretum Association
I have no first-hand knowledge of that particular area although I used to live at Coldspring in the 1970s. Cylburn Meadows is in a predominantly African-American residential area where many surrounding streets have been declining of late. The city has ambitious plans for the nearby Park Heights Avenue corridor.

Old 10-05-2010, 07:08 AM

8,222 posts, read 13,338,852 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rokaw2000 View Post
I can't find a lot of info. of that area.
Is it a good neigborhood? Safe?
I'm a single woman and looking to buy a house there (clyburn meadow).
If someone can help, I'd really appriciated.
Thanks!

Cylburn is a transitional area between Park Heights and the more stable Coldspring Newtown. The areas along Cylburn Ave and east of Laurel Ave are fairing better than the sections closer to Pimlico Road and Park Heights. I believe the area is part of the City's Healthy Neighborhood Initiative which offers incentives for people to purchase and fix up homes in targeted areas of the City. Cylburn Meadows was built in early 2000 and are your typical suburban style townhome. From what I hear from people that know folks that live there is that the area is safe...The only complaint was that when the development was first completed there were a series of break ins since the homes were new and nearly everyone living there worked during the day. Since then many of the homes have since added your typical 'baltimore welcome mat' of steel doors with bars on front and some of rear patio doors. The way the development is laid out creates quite a few blind spots with the rear decks and patios being hidden from view... which may provide privacy but it prevents people from being seen by BPD as the cruise around. This is only complicated by the fact that the area nestle up against some existing homes and there is no viable separation between the existing homes and the new development thus potentially providing a hidding place for those who want to burgularize homes. Check out some of the nice single family homes along Cylburn Ave near Sinai or some of duplex row homes along Garrison EAST of Laurel.. they may provide some other alternatives as well. Also consider Coldspring Newtown directly across Greenspring there are several condo units for sale in there and in the neighboring Woodlands@Coldspring which is similiar to Clyburn Meadows but provides a better layout. www.coldspringnewtown.com

Old 10-05-2010, 09:38 AM

10 posts, read 22,427 times
Thanks guys!
I'm a first time home buyer and want to buy a home in the city (mid 100's to upper 100's) but it is difficult to find a decent area with that price range.
I've visited several homes in Lauraville, Hamilton, and Cylburn Meadows (I liked the house but not much of the area) but I didn't like much.
Since I do not know the city and its neigborhood well, any recommendation would be great.
Currently, I live in Mt. Vernon area which I love but just can't afford to buy one here.
I am looking for place where diversed and safe for a single woman.

Old 10-05-2010, 11:31 AM

569 posts, read 1,441,795 times
Have you checked out Charles Village? There are some really nice rowhomes along St Paul and Charles St. Lauraville and Hamilton are both good choices but farther out from the hustle and bustle of the nightlife of Mt Vernon and Charles Village.

Old 10-05-2010, 01:53 PM

4,180 posts, read 14,591,613 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rokaw2000 View Post
Thanks guys!
I'm a first time home buyer and want to buy a home in the city (mid 100's to upper 100's) but it is difficult to find a decent area with that price range.
I've visited several homes in Lauraville, Hamilton, and Cylburn Meadows (I liked the house but not much of the area) but I didn't like much.
Since I do not know the city and its neigborhood well, any recommendation would be great.
Currently, I live in Mt. Vernon area which I love but just can't afford to buy one here.
I am looking for place where diversed and safe for a single woman.
You may be able to find a home that needs some work for that price range in Patterson Park or Highlandtown. For Charles Village, it would be tough to find a place for that price in a decent block. Be careful with Hamilton. There are good areas and not so good areas.

Old 10-05-2010, 03:41 PM

4,180 posts, read 14,591,613 times
The Real Estate Wonk: What $185,000 can buy you in Baltimore - Baltimore homes, apartments, real estate: Buying, selling, renting and housing news from reporter Jamie Smith Hopkins - baltimoresun.com

Interesting article in the Sun about a home sold for 185 in a good neighborhood. Thought you may be interested, rokaw
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Baltimore
View detailed profiles of: