Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Baltimore
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-05-2011, 08:27 AM

7,301 posts, read 13,516,151 times

Advertisements

Howdy AJNEOA, nice to see you in the Baltimore forum!

Quote:
Originally Posted by AJNEOA View Post
I visited Baltimore again this this past week, and I wanted to see what the folks in this forum think about Baltimore's progress and where it will go in the next 10 years. So the question is:

What accomplishments or changes will occur in Baltimore over the next 10 years?

This can include changes in public transportation, gentrification (or un-gentrification if that's a word), new buildings, changes in the restaurant scene, economic changes, etc.

Some things I was wondering about while I was there:

- Perkins Homes - Seems like this is now an isolated public housing location, bordered by some cool areas...will this hang on or will something happen with it?

They aren't too bad now. But their days are numbered. I echo JonJ's idea of redeveloping it a la Jonestown. It's sort of an embarassment to have these dilapidated 1930's brick projects in the middle of our big money area. But I would like to see them replaced with Jonestown type housing, not simply kicking the residents out so they can spread throughout the city (which has negatively affected areas of NE Baltimore over the years).

- Western parts of downtown remind me of Market East in Philly (or actually a little more rundown). I'm thinking of areas like Fayette and Liberty or Howard between Mulberry and Franklin.

Once the Superblock gets rolling (it's only been in the works for what, 6 years now?) that area will improve substantially. It isn't dangerous now, just forlorn. An idea that is readily dismissed is the idea of retrofitting the Howard Street CSX freight tunnel to operate as a subway tunnel once it the freight line gets re-routed. That way Howard St can once again be open to full traffic and the damn light rail can run underground instead of stopping for traffic lights on the street. Lexington Market is awesome - if they want to clean it up, all they need to do is stop selling beer. But they are catering to their customer base, and who can blame them? Brave foodies are the only visitors who make the trip up from the harbor.

Anyway, I've got too many ideas about that neighborhood. They're on the right path there - just got to get the damn Superblock built (preserving Read's drug store of course).

- The red line and if it will get built now that O'Malley is staying in office?

Yes. I don't love everything about it, and it's not going to be the finest system in the country, but they did what they could with the funding they can expect to have from the FED so I'm excited. It will be a tremendous improvement over the buses it will replace (one of which I ride everyday, almost). I know some people who are involved with the project and they are definitely the type of people you want running it - driven, focused and intelligent.

- What else will be built in Harbor East and the Harborplace (e.g. 10 Inner Harbor)?

Not much, not for a long time, I don't think.

- Will the area around Hopkins Hospital on Broadway continue to improve, and if so where will that improvement spread?

I think it would have to be linear improvement up Broadway from the water and also eastward from downtown. It will happen over time but it's going to be a long time coming.

- There seems to be a burgeoning Latino food scene that will only continue to improve.

Very true, although my favorite Peruvian chicken place closed. You could get a quarter chicken, fried yuca and a salad and drink for $5.50. R.I.P.

- I love Cross Street Market in Fed Hill and I was surprised that Broadway's Market in Fells wasn't more like it. I see renovations are scheduled...will those happen and how will it impact that market (and that area)?

The renovations were scheduled for '08... now everyone is just waiting, waiting, waiting. Some better management would capitalize on the Fells Market, which was far more substantial even 6 years ago.

I can certainly see where improvements are logical, but from an outsider's perspective I don't know where hidden challenges exist. I can say that this town has more potential for improvement than any other city I've visited in the US. I also have to say that it's a great city in the present, and has a ton to offer (I love the good and even the bad about this city!).

Well good thing you'll be in Philly then, you can come town anytime you want!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-05-2011, 04:38 PM

84 posts, read 276,410 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MDguy99 View Post
No, but it is clear what your agenda is. You should be banned from the site. I have seen your other posts and you should probably fix your username- God knows I wouldn't call myself "jerseyboy".
Is this another screen name I am supposed to be using? Banned? Wow that's harsh

Old 03-05-2011, 04:59 PM

501 posts, read 1,161,423 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bawlmr View Post
Is this another screen name I am supposed to be using? Banned? Wow that's harsh
I am asking why you have named yourself after a place you intensely dislike. And yes, banned for inciting many things throughout your various posts.

Old 03-07-2011, 05:26 AM

84 posts, read 276,410 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MDguy99 View Post
I am asking why you have named yourself after a place you intensely dislike. And yes, banned for inciting many things throughout your various posts.
Why does it make a difference to you what my screen name is? I don't understand your interest. I have never incited anyone to do anything. Unlike you who are inciting someone to ban me for stating opinions you don't like.

Old 03-07-2011, 06:16 AM

805 posts, read 2,115,734 times
your intense and extreme negativity incites people.

Old 03-07-2011, 06:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrboltonman View Post
your intense and extreme negativity incites people.
Yes, it does. And his username matters to me because he is using MY city to mock and I can not understand why people here give his posts any validity when it is clear he has an agenda. It is also clear that these Maryland boards are not moderated well enough to weed out trolls.

Old 03-07-2011, 07:15 AM

5,228 posts, read 15,292,248 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bawlmr View Post
I'm sorry. I forgot. Only the good comments are serious.
Maybe it' s because you don't even make an effort to notice the good things that others see, or even understand that your won attitude is part of the problem. Maybe is't because you DO make an effort to ONLY be negative and insulting. If negative and insulting is a valuable goal for you, don't be surprised when it's returned AT you. Get a clue or move on.

Old 03-07-2011, 06:35 PM

7,017 posts, read 11,310,963 times
Oh, please MDguy99, don't beg for more moderators! They would cut out half of all of the threads I am participating in! I like being in the "wild west." Barring extreme circumstances, we police our own board.

Old 03-07-2011, 07:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by westsideboy View Post
Oh, please MDguy99, don't beg for more moderators! They would cut out half of all of the threads I am participating in! I like being in the "wild west." Barring extreme circumstances, we police our own board.
Haha, me too... although if moderation does become more intense I will probably be placed in a "time out" for my defense in the "Is Maryland a Southern State?" thread before anything ever happens to you. You can control your frustration better- my fuse is short lol.

Old 03-07-2011, 07:41 PM

7,017 posts, read 11,310,963 times
The only recent time when I was legitimately angry was when a certain poster called my city the armpit of the state. Other than that, I try (not always successful) to be civil, even in disagreement.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Baltimore