Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Baltimore
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-05-2007, 09:21 PM

6,459 posts, read 12,023,273 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terrapin2212 View Post
Is it true that Baltimore is a very racist and intolerant city no matter which group you're talking about. I've heard that East Coast ethnic enclaves, especially Irish people and Italians are very "insular" and hostile toward people who go into their communities? Is the city very divided along racial and ethnic lines. It is rare for people in Baltimore to have friends who are a different race than them?

I'm most likely living on the Univeristy of Maryland campus in a year and I'm very scared about being in Baltimore City. I've heard a lot of nightmare stories on this board and being from Montgomery COunty I already hate Maryland for the unfriendliness and liberal politics and I'm afraid Baltimore is just more of the same. Are people going to have problem with an Asian American who is Americanized and conservative? I

Is it true that Baltimoreans (of all races but especially blacks, Italians and Irish) hate outsiders and are downrigth hostile to them? Or it just typical East Coast coldness and not directed at any group in particular? At the very least I've heard that the communities in Baltimore and cities further up the East Coast are very insular and self-contained and its impossible for a newcomer to feel welcomed. I personally hate living in this state and in this part of the country but in-state tuition is important. I just hope that by the time I can finally move South or to the Midwest I won't just end up being another stiff arrogant typical Marylander. Or I guess that's just the northern influence here.
You are correct in your assertion of irish and italian neighborhoods being racist and ignorant towards the "darker" races. These people are stuck in a timewarp and will continue to pass down their genetic deficiencies to their children and grands.

It's definitely like this in NYC and from what I've heard Boston, Phili, Jersey, Long Island, and other places where these "ethnic" whites reside.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-05-2007, 09:34 PM

62 posts, read 253,933 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marilyn220 View Post
You are correct in your assertion of irish and italian neighborhoods being racist and ignorant towards the "darker" races. These people are stuck in a timewarp and will continue to pass down their genetic deficiencies to their children and grands.

It's definitely like this in NYC and from what I've heard Boston, Phili, Jersey, Long Island, and other places where these "ethnic" whites reside.
In trying so hard to condemn "racism" you just made the most racist statement I ever read on this site: "genetic deficiencies" But, don't worry, you'll get away with it.

Old 08-05-2007, 10:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoHometoCallMyOwn View Post
In trying so hard to condemn "racism" you just made the most racist statement I ever read on this site: "genetic deficiencies" But, don't worry, you'll get away with it.
Racist or truth? Go to Bensonhurst, Brooklyn, Howard Beach, Queens, and Boston, Mass and show me the "brotherly" love among the "ethnic" whites that live there. Long Island is very well-known as the THIRD MOST SEGREGATED SUBURB in the nation. Why? Can only be due to ignorance by most of the italians and irish that live there.

Don't be mad at me for speaking what everyone KNOWS to be true.

Old 08-05-2007, 11:28 PM

Quote:
Racist or truth? Go to Bensonhurst, Brooklyn, Howard Beach, Queens, and Boston, Mass and show me the "brotherly" love among the "ethnic" whites that live there. Long Island is very well-known as the THIRD MOST SEGREGATED SUBURB in the nation. Why? Can only be due to ignorance by most of the italians and irish that live there.

Don't be mad at me for speaking what everyone KNOWS to be true.
Gee, I wonder what would happen if I as a white person speak the truth about certain groups of people that I, and everybody with eyes to see, know the truth about. What do you think would happen here if I stated an honest opinion based on experience of certain non-whites in the exact same language that you used?

Old 08-06-2007, 09:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoHometoCallMyOwn View Post
Gee, I wonder what would happen if I as a white person speak the truth about certain groups of people that I, and everybody with eyes to see, know the truth about. What do you think would happen here if I stated an honest opinion based on experience of certain non-whites in the exact same language that you used?
I apologize NoHometoCallMyOwn. Maybe you're not like that. I'm just thinking back to some bad memories.

I'm also tired of posts where in 2007 whites are STILL afraid to be around a group of blacks. The people attending a Patti LaBelle concert are of a vastly different mindset from those attending a gangsta rap or heavy metal one.

Old 08-06-2007, 12:58 PM

165 posts, read 533,158 times
Default So not nicely done...

You'd think as a black woman you'd have more sensitivity to the racial profiling or generalization of ANY race, be it black, Latino, Asian or "Arabs."

Quote:
Whites fear of blacks is based on an irrational fear that has been passed down through generations.

Trust what I'm going to tell you NOW - As a black woman, I can honestly say that black folks ain't thinking about white folks in ANY capacity whatsoever. WE DON'T CARE ABOUT YOU. We're too busy trying to survive.

So, GET OVER YOUR FREAKIN SELVES. Direct your fears to the arabs where it rightfully (and justfully) belongs.

Thank you. Soapbox over.

Old 08-06-2007, 01:04 PM

18 posts, read 102,914 times
It is amazing to read this in 2007. I thought I was reading a 1960's history book.
America needs to wake up because people of color outnumber whites. If we don't learn to get along as a nation why are we over in Iraq and other countries. Our own nation is a mess. Divided we fall and if you believe we are winning in Iraq that's another lie by the people who want to lead.

Old 08-06-2007, 06:49 PM

689 posts, read 3,215,009 times
I honestly believe that people who are afraid of someone simply because their skin color doesn't match their own...they have nothing better to do or worry about. And I have to also wonder why on earth you'd move to Baltimore...or any large urban area, for that matter...if you're "afraid" of black people, or if you dislike people of color.

As for "ethnic whites", of which I happen to be one, I guess -- I'm too busy running my business, raising my son, and generally living life to worry about shunning entire groups of people. That kind of ignorance was never tolerated in my family, and it's certainly not tolerated in my business or in my home.

Gads, I honestly think people need to find hobbies, or jobs, or religion...something more important to worry about, than the color of someone's skin. It's 2007, for crying out loud, not 1957.

Old 08-06-2007, 08:00 PM

Quote:

I'm also tired of posts where in 2007 whites are STILL afraid to be around a group of blacks. The people attending a Patti LaBelle concert are of a vastly different mindset from those attending a gangsta rap or heavy metal one.
I'm tired of posts that suggest whites have some obligation to soothe the feelings of blacks or any other race. I'm not going to attend some lame concert or other gathering just to prove my multicultural devotion, nuff said.

Old 08-06-2007, 09:15 PM

Delete.

Not worth it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Baltimore