Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Baltimore
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-10-2007, 07:14 AM

1,973 posts, read 6,806,163 times

Advertisements

On an adjoining thread -- Advice about these neighborhoods -- I gave my take. And I also mentioned that people's view about certain neighborhoods depends on their racial tolerance.
I was thinking about all this while attending the free Patti LaBelle concert at the African American Heritage Festival. It was the most segregated big event I have seen in Baltimore in my nearly 40 years here -- because only a handful of whites were courageous enough to attend the concert that drew tens of thousands.
No one bothered me, there were no incidents. The worst problem was the high sound volume. But after I stuffed some napkins into my ears, even that was taken care of.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-10-2007, 08:16 AM

Location: Unlike most on CD, I'm not afraid to give my location: Milwaukee, WI.
1,789 posts, read 4,152,345 times
Default That's wonderful to hear...

However, I can tell you of many incidents in my city, and in other cities around the country, where if whites are a very small number at a crowded black event, there are often some assaults against the whites.
No robbery, nothing else... just beat up for being white.
Ask my brother about it, or a co-worker friend of mine named John, or the unfortunate white fellow who stumbled upon the black "Juneteenth" celebration here, or the lone white guy on a city bus full of blacks who was beat up good.
But you won't hear about these incidents in the national news. Only when whites assault a minority. That is the only form of racism the media really cares about.
Non-whites assaulting whites are one of the most under-reported phenomena taking place in American society today.

Quote:
Originally Posted by barante View Post
On an adjoining thread -- Advice about these neighborhoods -- I gave my take. And I also mentioned that people's view about certain neighborhoods depends on their racial tolerance.
I was thinking about all this while attending the free Patti LaBelle concert at the African American Heritage Festival. It was the most segregated big event I have seen in Baltimore in my nearly 40 years here -- because only a handful of whites were courageous enough to attend the concert that drew tens of thousands.
No one bothered me, there were no incidents. The worst problem was the high sound volume. But after I stuffed some napkins into my ears, even that was taken care of.

Old 07-10-2007, 08:52 AM

2,079 posts, read 4,950,634 times
Quote:
Baltimore also has annual Greek Festivals, Irish Festivals as well as other ethnic festivals. So why do you choose to single out the African American Festival as being "the most segregated in nearly 40 years".

Old 07-10-2007, 09:12 AM

1,973 posts, read 6,806,163 times
Default It's a fact

I single it out because none of the other festivals you listed are as segregated. The Greek festival attracts all kinds of ethnicities, and being Irish is a state of mind as long as you drink Guinness or Jameson's.
We are talking about pathology of fear here. There is a long history to this. Starting in 1910, Baltimore City Council passed a total of four laws that decreed that each residential block be segregated on the basis of the majority of its residents. This was the first action by a local government to mandate residential segregation and was copied widely not only in the South but also by the U.S. occupation authorities in the Philippines.
After the U.S. Supreme Court outlawed that approach in 1917, racially restrictive covenants followed. Thus, homeowners' agreement prohibited blacks from living in much of Baltimore. Just like Jews were basically not allowed to live east of Fall Road.

Old 07-10-2007, 09:24 AM

2,079 posts, read 4,950,634 times
Quote:
I single it out because none of the other festivals you listed are as segregated. The Greek festival attracts all kinds of ethnicities, and being Irish is a state of mind as long as you drink Guinness or Jameson's.
We are talking about pathology of fear here. There is a long history to this. Starting in 1910, Baltimore City Council passed a total of four laws that decreed that each residential block be segregated on the basis of the majority of its residents. This was the first action by a local government to mandate residential segregation and was copied widely not only in the South but also by the U.S. occupation authorities in the Philippines.
After the U.S. Supreme Court outlawed that approach in 1917, racially restrictive covenants followed. Thus, homeowners' agreement prohibited blacks from living in much of Baltimore. Just like Jews were basically not allowed to live east of Fall Road.
So what is your point?

Old 07-10-2007, 01:46 PM

201 posts, read 1,282,366 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dorado0359 View Post
So what is your point?
His point is people should be able to go to a concert of there favorite artist without the fear of being beaten to death for no apparent reason.

Old 07-22-2007, 09:11 PM

62 posts, read 253,947 times
Quote:
LoL, so all the white people who chose not to go to this event are just being paranoid about crime in a city known for little else these days? It really is sooo tacky to be 'intolerant' of mindless violence.

Plus, who really wants to hear Patti Labelle?

Old 07-28-2007, 12:00 PM

10,210 posts, read 15,912,728 times
Is it true that Baltimore is a very racist and intolerant city no matter which group you're talking about. I've heard that East Coast ethnic enclaves, especially Irish people and Italians are very "insular" and hostile toward people who go into their communities? Is the city very divided along racial and ethnic lines. It is rare for people in Baltimore to have friends who are a different race than them?

I'm most likely living on the Univeristy of Maryland campus in a year and I'm very scared about being in Baltimore City. I've heard a lot of nightmare stories on this board and being from Montgomery COunty I already hate Maryland for the unfriendliness and liberal politics and I'm afraid Baltimore is just more of the same. Are people going to have problem with an Asian American who is Americanized and conservative? I

Is it true that Baltimoreans (of all races but especially blacks, Italians and Irish) hate outsiders and are downrigth hostile to them? Or it just typical East Coast coldness and not directed at any group in particular? At the very least I've heard that the communities in Baltimore and cities further up the East Coast are very insular and self-contained and its impossible for a newcomer to feel welcomed. I personally hate living in this state and in this part of the country but in-state tuition is important. I just hope that by the time I can finally move South or to the Midwest I won't just end up being another stiff arrogant typical Marylander. Or I guess that's just the northern influence here.

Old 07-28-2007, 01:29 PM

91 posts, read 140,291 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Terrapin2212 View Post
Is it true that Baltimore is a very racist and intolerant city no matter which group you're talking about. I've heard that East Coast ethnic enclaves, especially Irish people and Italians are very "insular" and hostile toward people who go into their communities? Is the city very divided along racial and ethnic lines. It is rare for people in Baltimore to have friends who are a different race than them?

I'm most likely living on the Univeristy of Maryland campus in a year and I'm very scared about being in Baltimore City. I've heard a lot of nightmare stories on this board and being from Montgomery COunty I already hate Maryland for the unfriendliness and liberal politics and I'm afraid Baltimore is just more of the same. Are people going to have problem with an Asian American who is Americanized and conservative? I

Is it true that Baltimoreans (of all races but especially blacks, Italians and Irish) hate outsiders and are downrigth hostile to them? Or it just typical East Coast coldness and not directed at any group in particular? At the very least I've heard that the communities in Baltimore and cities further up the East Coast are very insular and self-contained and its impossible for a newcomer to feel welcomed. I personally hate living in this state and in this part of the country but in-state tuition is important. I just hope that by the time I can finally move South or to the Midwest I won't just end up being another stiff arrogant typical Marylander. Or I guess that's just the northern influence here.
As an asian american, I'm curious what makes you conservative, since being conservative and right-wing is today synonymous with being a racist or being anti-black.

Old 07-29-2007, 10:12 AM

124 posts, read 449,843 times
I attended the Juneteenth festival in Minneapolis this year and there were several thousand black people in attendance. There were also many white people, including families with children in attendance, and no one was beaten or mis-treated in any way as far as I saw. In fact, this event had a very good vibe to it and there was no violence. There were hundreds of similar events celebrating this holiday, all across the country this year, and the only one that gets national coverage is the one where something stupid happens.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Baltimore