Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Baltimore
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-13-2010, 11:05 PM

31 posts, read 98,638 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone,

I was thinking about moving to Baltimore from Boston, but after reading the boards I am definitely rethinking that idea. The things I like about Baltimore mostly focus on the housing stock, it's location (I was also thinking of DC), and it's potential to be a great east coast city without an extremely high cost of living. However, the things I don't like about Baltimore are the high crime rate (Is it really as dangerous as people say it is? I imagine having to fear for my life at all times, even while in my home.) and the sense that the cities revitalization efforts focus more on building things and knocking down buildings than engaging the black population which seems to be driving many of its problems.

So many people on this board talk about the rude racist behavior of low-class blacks in the city that they make me wonder how involved the city and the people are in truly revitalizing the city.

For white's on this board revitalization seems to equate to pushing out the lower income mostly black residents of the city and installing new arts districts. I can't help but think that any revitalization efforts will fail without understanding how more than half the city wants revitalization efforts to occur. Not that all 64% of blacks in the city are lower income. But obviously there is a sizable population of lower income individuals in Baltimore, and they don't seem to be going anywhere anytime soon. Without policies in place to work with that element in the city and no large population of affluent middle class workers moving to Baltimore, it seems unlikely any real improvement will ever occur.

Because I have only been through Baltimore, I would like to hear more about what the citizens of Baltimore city have to say about the cities revitalization efforts. How is the new mayor? What do you think about the new plans the city is putting in place?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-14-2010, 03:29 AM

4,180 posts, read 14,598,386 times
I moved to Baltimore from Boston and have been happy with the decision. Baltimore lacks Boston's public transit options for convenient movement without a car but it's doable. It also has more crime than Boston but if you use your commons sense, you'd be fine. Your statement about hovering out of fear for your life in your home hints at you being a bit of a drama queen.

Baltimore is weathering out the recession better than most other locales although most efforts for revitalization have been put on hold until the economy improves; not unlike Boston. You are incorrect about Baltimore knocking things down in the name of improvement is incorrect. Baltimore has in many instances done the exact opposite in saving many historic buildings.

In terms of rudeness, I don't find Baltimore to be any more "rude" than Boston. People don't change that drastically from one city to the next. "Rude behavior" can be seen in both.

You are correct in that the needs of the underclass have to be better addressed regardless of race. However, that is a national issue along with being a local issue. Baltimore is no different from Boston in terms of gentrification. I lived in the south end before it changed so I am somewhat familiar with Boston's plans as well.

Finally the mayor. Originally I was not a fan. But I have become somewhat a fan. I think she has been handling the business of city government better than I expected.

Old 12-14-2010, 04:42 AM

4,139 posts, read 4,528,885 times
As a longtime native of Baltimore I can tell you that although crime IS a problem in Baltimore, there are many neighborhoods where you can feel reasonably safe both inside and outside of your home. It doesn't take all that long to figure out the boundaries of any neighborhood and, although crime can and does happen anywhere, you can reduce the probability of being a victim. That said, Baltimore is not Boston! Hardcore Baltimore fans will praise the architecture of the city, the history and it does have its share of historic and interesting landscape but IMO, it does not compare to Boston. As far knocking down buildings, have you seen the endless blocks of vacant boarded up neglected rowhouses in Baltimore. Some are worthy of renovation, others need to be torn down. There are thousands of abandoned homes and buidlings in the city, contributing to the urban blight. I do agree that community planners would benefit from reaching out to minorities however, there are plenty of black leaders in the City working on revitalization. Baltimore continues to have issues with race, ethnicity and poverty. None of those problems are going away soon. As far as friendly/rude goes, people always complained to be about Boston being a rude city. I found the natives very friendly, helpful and pleasant. Baltimore has its share of friendly and not so friendly folk--like everywhere else. That said, if it weren't for the weather and high cost of living I would take Boston over Baltimore any day.

Old 12-14-2010, 07:53 AM

239 posts, read 759,828 times
I've also lived in both cities. I'm not the biggest fan of Baltimore, but I would pick it over Boston. I'll have to speak in generalizations, b/c I'm trying to summarize entire cities.

The crime is inflated b/c of drug/gang violence in concentrations. Sadly, those concentrations can butt right up against a 'good neighborhood'. Coupled with the drug violence is the serious problem with heroin and cocaine in the city. The junkies don't steal from other junkies. What do they have to steal? They prowl the nice neighborhoods, and will steal anything of value that isn't nailed down.

Don't leave stuff in your car, period. It'll get stolen. Have a good bike lock, if you have a bike. In fact, just bring your bike inside.

Don't be alone, drunk on the street. You'll have a (higher than some other cities) chance of getting mugged. It's not the Wild West, but there are plenty of muggings, even in good neighborhoods. Anecdotally, my friends, who have been victims, were all walking home after a night out, by themselves. The defenders will say that's a problem in any city, but statistically, you have a higher chance in Baltimore than you do in many other cities.

Baltimore positives:
Baltimore people are more friendly w/i your neighborhood. Go outside your typical neighborhoods, and people can get territorial.
Much easier to drive, if you have a car. I can't say this enough. Baltimore is really easy to drive. Compared to the turnpike, etc, with it's odd, twisty, toll-ticket system, and lack of any sort of way to turn around, Baltimore is a dream.
I prefer the Baltimore transit system. Inside the city, it's mostly buses, but they seem to run on time. The Boston Metro (to me) was cumbersome, hard to navigate, and unreliable.

Baltimore Cons:

Baltimore is not as 'nice' as Boston. If you like good shopping, nice nightclubs, getting dressed up to go out, etc, Baltimore is lacking.

Parking. Boston is super expensive to park, but at least you can do it. If you drive to any of the typical hotspots in Baltimore, it could easily take half hour/ 45 mins to park. Canton is the worst, by far. Get home after 8pm? Good luck. There's a huge lack of parking garages anywhere but downtown.

Diversity. Baltimore is not an integrated city, despite what anyone says. People group into tight neighborhoods, and you will meet hostility if you don't fit in that neighborhood.

Old 12-14-2010, 08:16 AM

8,242 posts, read 13,360,755 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KennyP View Post
I've also lived in both cities. I'm not the biggest fan of Baltimore, but I would pick it over Boston. I'll have to speak in generalizations, b/c I'm trying to summarize entire cities.

The crime is inflated b/c of drug/gang violence in concentrations. Sadly, those concentrations can butt right up against a 'good neighborhood'. Coupled with the drug violence is the serious problem with heroin and cocaine in the city. The junkies don't steal from other junkies. What do they have to steal? They prowl the nice neighborhoods, and will steal anything of value that isn't nailed down.

Don't leave stuff in your car, period. It'll get stolen. Have a good bike lock, if you have a bike. In fact, just bring your bike inside.

Don't be alone, drunk on the street. You'll have a (higher than some other cities) chance of getting mugged. It's not the Wild West, but there are plenty of muggings, even in good neighborhoods. Anecdotally, my friends, who have been victims, were all walking home after a night out, by themselves. The defenders will say that's a problem in any city, but statistically, you have a higher chance in Baltimore than you do in many other cities.

Baltimore positives:
Baltimore people are more friendly w/i your neighborhood. Go outside your typical neighborhoods, and people can get territorial.
Much easier to drive, if you have a car. I can't say this enough. Baltimore is really easy to drive. Compared to the turnpike, etc, with it's odd, twisty, toll-ticket system, and lack of any sort of way to turn around, Baltimore is a dream.
I prefer the Baltimore transit system. Inside the city, it's mostly buses, but they seem to run on time. The Boston Metro (to me) was cumbersome, hard to navigate, and unreliable.

Baltimore Cons:

Baltimore is not as 'nice' as Boston. If you like good shopping, nice nightclubs, getting dressed up to go out, etc, Baltimore is lacking.

Parking. Boston is super expensive to park, but at least you can do it. If you drive to any of the typical hotspots in Baltimore, it could easily take half hour/ 45 mins to park. Canton is the worst, by far. Get home after 8pm? Good luck. There's a huge lack of parking garages anywhere but downtown.

Diversity. Baltimore is not an integrated city, despite what anyone says. People group into tight neighborhoods, and you will meet hostility if you don't fit in that neighborhood.

Well Said....

Old 12-14-2010, 09:24 AM

7,301 posts, read 13,516,151 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KennyP View Post
I have to disagree. My neighborhood is mixed and friendly. But I don't live in Canton (thankfully).

My advice to anyone who may move to Baltimore is to visit and spend some time here. It's a hard place to pin down from afar. It's different from Boston in a lot of ways, but I know a lot of Massachusets transplants down here (plenty of people in the bars watching Sox games). Plus if you're a fan you'll be able to attend a great many more games at very cheap Camden Yards than you'd ever be able to get tickets for at Fenway.

Some things are just plain different here than in New England. Death awaits you if you expect a car to stop for you in a crosswalk, for example.

I lived in Southern Vermont for a while and have spent a good amount of time in Boston. Boston seemed cleaner, more affluent, better dressed, stodgy. Baltimore is dirtier, less wealthy (though there are still plenty of rich folks), more casual, and more fun. I find that people are much nicer here and will say hello, good morning, etc. as you walk by, which I don't recall happening in Boston. Transit is better in Boston but runs later in Baltimore. Biking is way easier in Baltimore though drivers are not as used to seeing cyclists and you must watch for potholes.

It depends on what you like, as well. You can choose a neighborhood based on your activities pretty easily.

As far as the city's revitalization efforts: More has happened in the last 10 years than in the previous 40, I feel. Things are improving substantially. There is still a long way to go.

Old 12-14-2010, 12:48 PM

99 posts, read 244,098 times
Default Boston to Baltimore

Moved to Baltimore two summers ago after about 20 years in metro Boston (Cambridge, Somerville, Boston proper - pretty much anywhere on the T). I find Baltimore to be a very livable city and here are my observations.

Crime - it's a city, so keep your head up, and use common sense. I have never felt unsafe.

Parking - in contrast to one of the other posters, I find parking in Baltimore remarkably easy. I live in the northern part of the City and have no problem parking downtown, near Mt. Vernon etc. whenever I drive in to do what I have to do.

Transportation - there is public transportation in Baltimore but it serves pretty narrowly defined geographic corridors (unlike the T). I get around mostly by car now, and that's a bit of a drag.

Shopping etc. - there is no equivalent to the Back Bay or Copley Plaza etc. in Baltimore. The positive aspect of this is that I find myself buying less stuff.

Attitude - I find Baltimoreans to be uniformly warmer, and more welcoming than Bostonians. Take it from someone who lived there for almost two decades. I know my neighbors, and feel like part of a community. Maybe it has something to do with those cold New England winters or the fact that so much of Boston is defined by a constantly shifting student population. Whenever I'm back in Boston, I find myself wondering why people have to be so darn rude and pushy.

Traffic - the "expressways" (JFX etc.) can be pretty horrible - and getting across town during rush hour can be traumatic. Then again, I remember Boston pre- Big Dig and that was pretty miserable too.

Decline or revitalization - well, I've met a lot of young, working artists who have relocated to Baltimore because it is affordable, has places to make art, and is convenient. That's a really great catalyst for ANY city.

There is a lot in Baltimore that reminds me of what Boston was like over twenty years ago...like Somerville before the Diesel Cafe and Joshua Tree moved in and people were buying/gut rehabbing triple deckers (back then, the only place to get a drink - if you dared - was the Sligo Pub). I am continually impressed by pockets of beauty in the very urban environment of Baltimore (Sherwood Gardens), and even within this city, the outdoors are not too far away (Wyman Park, Stony Run etc.). I do enjoy the earlier spring and longer fall.

Good luck with your move.

Old 12-14-2010, 01:34 PM

31 posts, read 98,638 times
Thanks to those who responded to my post. I plan on visiting Baltimore before moving there of course. It just strikes me as strange that the one thing everyone in Baltimore seems to agree on is the seriousness of the crime in Baltimore. In Boston, you could basically walk through most of the city at night drunk and no one would bother you. So I'm concerned that after years of being in a city where you can carelessly cross the road and walk alone at night that i won't be prepared for the worst parts of Baltimore.

If anyone else has anything to say, especially about the revitalization of Baltimore please chim in. There is only so much one can learn from a week long visit to charm city.

Old 12-14-2010, 02:23 PM

4,180 posts, read 14,598,386 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rhemy1 View Post
Thanks to those who responded to my post. I plan on visiting Baltimore before moving there of course. It just strikes me as strange that the one thing everyone in Baltimore seems to agree on is the seriousness of the crime in Baltimore. In Boston, you could basically walk through most of the city at night drunk and no one would bother you. So I'm concerned that after years of being in a city where you can carelessly cross the road and walk alone at night that i won't be prepared for the worst parts of Baltimore.

If anyone else has anything to say, especially about the revitalization of Baltimore please chim in. There is only so much one can learn from a week long visit to charm city.

Well, you probably won't be in the worst parts of Baltimore just like you can avoid the worst parts of Boston. When I lived in Boston, I worked at a place in Roxbury and although I took the t home at night, I was a bit concerned walking the four blocks over to it. Crime can occur in Boston also and I was a victim of it there. Oddly, I have not been a victim of it here. (Not saying it can't happen). Maybe I'm a bit cloistered but I really don't think I would walk home late at night by myself drunk in any city. I always kind of thought that could lead to trouble. The 5 dollar cab ride is worth the money.

Old 12-14-2010, 02:28 PM

239 posts, read 759,828 times
People get stumbling drunk here a lot and make it home just fine. I do it a lot, I just don't do it where I know there can be problems
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Baltimore