U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Baltimore
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-03-2011, 07:19 AM

5,229 posts, read 12,990,049 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by End-User View Post
Don't forget Philly, Houston, and Boston as other places that are more expensive too. But I suspect Baltimore has them all beat when it comes to property taxes.
Not compared to Washington State. It's actually not too bad here. And we don't have personal property tax here, either. And, even though it's changed now (of course, after I left the state), up until a few years ago, Washington State charged an annual exise tax to register your car (registration was annual, not every two years) based on the retail value of it. For example, if you bought a new car in 1999 for $20k, your annual registration tags cost ended up being nearly $600. Of course, you didn't have to get cars inspected when you bought/sold them, but the costs were still pretty high.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-07-2011, 05:46 PM

69 posts, read 148,251 times
Hi! I am going to be attending Hopkins School of Nursing, and would like to find a safe place near there. It is me and my 3 month old son. I have a vehicle that I will be keeping. My interests include restaurants/food (I like to cook and eat out), arts/museums, and bookstores. It would also be nice to have a gym around somewhere. I'm 31 and I'm not very outdoorsy, and would need a place that is relatively quiet for the baby and for study (though I'm not quiet as a mouse either). It seemed that Mount Vernon might be good..thoughts? I am not sure of what my budget is yet but I do know it can't be more than $1300 monthly. All suggestions are welcomed!

Old 02-08-2011, 06:42 AM

1,759 posts, read 4,711,974 times
You could certainly do Mount Vernon /Bolton Hill for $1300 a month. Where are you moving from?

Old 02-20-2011, 11:08 AM

1,759 posts, read 4,711,974 times
Bump: Seems to have been forgotten on the first page...

Old 03-29-2011, 01:54 PM

49 posts, read 79,119 times
My boyfriend will be attending JHU Homewood for graduate school this Fall. We currently live in Florida, and will be moving to Baltimore in mid July. We will be staying in a professor's home temporarily while we hunt for an apartment. Does this sound like a reasonable idea? While we'd like to visit the city beforehand, it's just not economically feasible right now.

We are looking for a safe neighborhood that is close to JHU (ideally within walking distance, but a short drive is OK), near grocery/convenience stores, restaurants/bars, and that has manageable street parking. My first choice was Charles Village, but I've read some news stories that have me worried (Stephen Pitcairn, the young Hopkins researcher who was mugged and stabbed while walking home from Penn Station). What areas should we be zeroing in on during our search? Our budget is $1100 excluding utilities, but we would love to find a place that includes heat.

Old 03-29-2011, 02:37 PM

4,180 posts, read 13,540,567 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lmw315 View Post
My boyfriend will be attending JHU Homewood for graduate school this Fall. We currently live in Florida, and will be moving to Baltimore in mid July. We will be staying in a professor's home temporarily while we hunt for an apartment. Does this sound like a reasonable idea? While we'd like to visit the city beforehand, it's just not economically feasible right now.

We are looking for a safe neighborhood that is close to JHU (ideally within walking distance, but a short drive is OK), near grocery/convenience stores, restaurants/bars, and that has manageable street parking. My first choice was Charles Village, but I've read some news stories that have me worried (Stephen Pitcairn, the young Hopkins researcher who was mugged and stabbed while walking home from Penn Station). What areas should we be zeroing in on during our search? Our budget is $1100 excluding utilities, but we would love to find a place that includes heat.
What happened to Mr. Pitcairn was very sad but also very rare. I wouldn't outrule Charles Village because of this incident. It would be by far the most convenient neighborhood for you and it also has a lot of pluses including a farmers market every Saturday, convenience to many locations, bars, restaurants, Barnes and Noble, shopping, etc. There are tons of people living in this neighborhood on a daily basis.

With all of Baltimore and with all of most cities, common sense is essential. Don't walk home late at night without knowing your whereabouts, etc.

Old 03-29-2011, 02:41 PM

4,180 posts, read 13,540,567 times
Quote:

Charles Village*? Baltimore, Maryland

I forgot to include my link about Charles Village.

Old 03-29-2011, 03:28 PM

49 posts, read 79,119 times
Thanks jonjj. I'm sure that what happened to Pitcairn is not the rule. Of course, walking alone late at night is not a good idea in any neighborhood, especially one in a large northeastern city. I have a feeling that Charles Village is where we'll end up. I just hope there are still some good rentals left by the time we arrive in July...

Old 03-29-2011, 07:07 PM

9 posts, read 9,495 times
Hi,
I am currently at College Park and will be moving to Baltimore area to take up a job in Middle River area.
I will have to commute to College Park every weekend as my boyfriend lives there. Hence, I am looking for some safe place for a girl to stay alone somewhere midway between Middle River and College Park.
My primary concern is safety - distance is not a problem.

Any suggestions?

Old 04-01-2011, 08:57 AM

206 posts, read 425,146 times
Quote:
We are looking for a safe neighborhood that is close to JHU (ideally within walking distance, but a short drive is OK), near grocery/convenience stores, restaurants/bars, and that has manageable street parking. My first choice was Charles Village, but I've read some news stories ...
I also wouldn't rule out Charles Village but your safety is based on what you feel. Getting here in July will give you some time to explore the areas and find what works for you. I'm sure that you'll miss some of the good properties that will be pre-renting for the fall by not coming for a look now, but then you'd be forced into a rushed decision with limited information. Your plan is fine.

Upper (closer to campus) is better than Lower Charles Village, and apartment availability is much better. Parking is tight but not impossible, and you've got some restaurants and amenities without it being that urban. But you'll be in good position to get down to more interesting parts of town like Mt. Vernon. The Safeway at Charles/25th Street is where I like to shop for groceries, though some like the Giant at 33rd/Old York Rd. Neither is in a perfect area but I'd give an edge to the Safeway as better to walk to. If you're driving then there's plenty of parking at either.

Another option would be to live on the opposite (west) side of campus in Hampden or Wyman Park (the park you would cross through to get to JHU). It would generally get higher marks for quiet and safety, though there are still some sketchy characters wandering around Hampden. Your bar and restaurant scene is pretty well contained around 36th Street along with some other cool shops. Parking is again tight but possible. There are fewer rentals in your range because many of the places are left intact as 3BR rowhouses, but some are chopped into 1BRs and there's also a couple apartment buildings. The Giant at the Rotunda (~40th St) is a bit run-down, else you can go 3 more blocks west to a pretty nice Super Fresh.

A final location is due north of campus and a cluster of large apartment buildings around University Parkway and 39th St. Parking is near impossible or else on paid lots though it feels reasonably safe up that way. Other than a couple restaurants there isn't too much right there, but you can walk to the same Charles Village and Hampden places mentioned above.

So ... East, West, or North.
Apartments for Rent - PadMapper Apartment Search for Oodle, Apartments.com, Kijiji, and Craigslist Apartments
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Baltimore