U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Baltimore
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-20-2010, 10:52 AM

1,759 posts, read 4,714,481 times

Advertisements

Seems like 3 or 4 times a week we get a new thread on someone moving to Baltimore all the way from the county to the other coast. Let's get everything in one thread since many questions are being asked over and over and have already been answered many times. I'll try to cover what comes to mind and the other residents can feel free to chime in.

If you're just moving to the city, welcome 'hon! There are many misconceptions about Baltimore and the best way to drop them is to visit the city for yourself. Many of us on the board have lived in the city for many years and have never been shot at, mugged or vandalized. Yes, The Wire was filmed in Baltimore about Baltimore. For me, the show is something of pride for me. It exposed social problems that are in every city. But if you really get into it, you can relate to any character on the show and empathize that the world is not perfect and we each try to make the best of our individual situations. Once you've been here for awhile, you'll recognize locations and maybe even see your house in there!

Don't be afraid to talk to people down here, especially if you are thinking about moving to the area. Baltimoreans love to talk about their neighborhoods and welcome transplants.

If you are moving from outside of Maryland, be prepared for what will more than likely be a large increase in rent if you opt to live in the city. $1100 seems to be the new minimum down here for something habitable with the average being around $1500-1800 for a nicely rehabbed row house and way up from there.

If you are looking to buy, be prepared for what are likely higher taxes than you are used to. A lot of homes are still valued by the city at their 2007 numbers and can be astronomically high.

Each neighborhood can vary wildly from the next and some can vary block to block. There are as many beautiful, Victorian style homes as their are abandoned homes.

If you get an opportunity to rent a place that offers parking, do it. Dedicated parking is worth its weight in gold down here.

Not a football fan? That'll change fairly quickly come September each year...

If there are any questions, please feel free to post them here. It's just getting rather impossible to answer everyone if they all have their own threads.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-20-2010, 11:48 AM

2 posts, read 7,902 times
There's a possibility I may be taking a job south of Baltimore next year and I'm looking at areas to live in. I'm single and looking to live in a walkable neighbourhood, close to a MARC station. I've got by in my life so far without a car and would not want to buy one now. Lofts or apartments are fine with me as I don't need much space, but I don't really know the Baltimore area at all. Does anyone have recommendations on which areas to look at?

Old 12-20-2010, 12:13 PM

7,311 posts, read 12,020,926 times
It depends on where your job is. There are two MARC lines that run south from Baltimore, and you'll want to live along the one that stops near your job.

Old 12-20-2010, 12:51 PM

2 posts, read 7,902 times
It looks as though either of the Camden or Penn lines would work for me.

Old 12-20-2010, 01:32 PM

7,311 posts, read 12,020,926 times
Great. Well lots of neighborhoods in central Baltimore are accessible to these places. What are your interests, what do you like to do in your free time? Based on that I'm sure we can make some good suggestions.

The neighborhoods closest to Penn Station are Mt Vernon and Station North, they are different from one another but both fun. Those closest to Camden Station are Pigtown, Ridgely's Delight and Federal Hill. There's a neighborhood "sticky" with links to different Baltimore neighborhoods.

Also, do you bike? I've found that it really makes things easier being carless in Baltimore. The transit here lacks, shall we say, punctuality?

Old 12-20-2010, 03:10 PM

6,970 posts, read 10,547,617 times
Dave.. you should see if you can make this a sticky so people go straight to it when they get on the Bmore page.....;0

Old 12-24-2010, 06:52 AM

1 posts, read 3,847 times
hi I will be moving down in a few months and am a young female professional looking for a safe neighborhood that's close to a lot of action (bars, things to do, etc.). I will be working at university of md medical center so somewhere close enough would be ideal. Also open to roomies! Any suggestion to what areas I should be looking in? I have heard good things about canton and federal hill.

Old 12-24-2010, 07:51 AM

1,759 posts, read 4,714,481 times
If you are at umd med then I would look at federal hill as you would be at worst biking distance to work plus it certainly has the night life you'd be lookng for. Rentals are pricey there however.

Old 12-30-2010, 11:26 AM

5,229 posts, read 13,003,476 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by davecj View Post
Don't be afraid to talk to people down here, especially if you are thinking about moving to the area. Baltimoreans love to talk about their neighborhoods and welcome transplants.
Judging from some of the other threads here, I'd have to both agree and disagree. There seem to be a lot of people that dislike transplants intensely.

Quote:
If you are moving from outside of Maryland, be prepared for what will more than likely be a large increase in rent if you opt to live in the city. $1100 seems to be the new minimum down here for something habitable with the average being around $1500-1800 for a nicely rehabbed row house and way up from there.
Depends on where you're moving from. DC, NY, LA, and even Seattle (where I moved from) tend to be much more expensive or the same kinds of locations. When I moved here in '99, a waterfront apartment in Canton cost me $1600/month. The same in Seattle would have been 3 times as much for the same quality/size facility.

Old 01-02-2011, 04:04 AM

251 posts, read 655,673 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Merc63 View Post
Judging from some of the other threads here, I'd have to both agree and disagree. There seem to be a lot of people that dislike transplants intensely.

Depends on where you're moving from. DC, NY, LA, and even Seattle (where I moved from) tend to be much more expensive or the same kinds of locations. When I moved here in '99, a waterfront apartment in Canton cost me $1600/month. The same in Seattle would have been 3 times as much for the same quality/size facility.
Don't forget Philly, Houston, and Boston as other places that are more expensive too. But I suspect Baltimore has them all beat when it comes to property taxes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Baltimore