Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Baltimore
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-12-2011, 08:36 AM

4,383 posts, read 16,762,823 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by brother's keeper View Post
By under $15k can getting you an 3 story home and $3k a smaller home in Baltimore your mean about rent right?
Huh? Don't understand what your asking exactly, but these houses are being sold at this price to buy. Now, these homes are in need a obvious renovations.

Btw! it looks like the big rowhouse in res hill just dropped in price the other day, to $13,410
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-12-2011, 10:55 AM

314 posts, read 759,601 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Billiam View Post
Huh? Don't understand what your asking exactly, but these houses are being sold at this price to buy. Now, these homes are in need a obvious renovations.

Btw! it looks like the big rowhouse in res hill just dropped in price the other day, to $13,410
Okay gotcha...I was just saying I find it hard to believe that homes in a major city such as Baltimore homes much less 3 story houses were going for so cheap...Even in my own town which is far from a major city I've seen houses that were single story going for no less than 50 and up to hundreds of thousandd of dollars...So I could've bought me a rowhouse in Baltimore with my last refund check You learn something new everyday.

Old 01-12-2011, 01:34 PM

152 posts, read 487,586 times
Default seriously?

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhemy1 View Post
5). I don't think they all should be town down and replaced with single family homes. I'm just saying that there are other options for architecture. S.f., Boston, DC, have beautiful row houses. Baltimore has some great ones too. There's beauty in juxtaposition.

6). I'm visiting Baltimore. I'll make my determination after that. What do you think Baltimore should do with its blighted areas?
You haven't even visited yet? You sure have a lot of opinions on the city for never having seen it.

I just looked out the window of my downtown DC office and all I see in the way of housing are bland, though new, apartment high rises (at least "high rise" in the DC sense). There blocks of mostly identical rowhouses about a quarter mile away. I will say that they have more trees out in front than we have in Baltimore, but I can't really see how it's that much different.

If I were to walk from Hampden (I know this is against your idea of how big the city limits should be) south through Remington, Charles Village, Station North to Mount Vernon, I would see everything from detached homes with yards to very well-kept historic homes that look every bit as striking as those in Boston. There is plenty of variation. Yes, there are hundreds of blocks of very similarly designed rowhomes in places like Locust Point, Canton, Federal Hill, etc., etc., but I think most would agree that even those have their individual charms.

Old 01-12-2011, 02:15 PM

257 posts, read 458,176 times
Quote:

Wait, you mean to tell me houses are that cheap in Baltimore? 13K? 15K? What is this 1956?

Old 01-12-2011, 02:20 PM

4,383 posts, read 16,762,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Internal Breathing Fire View Post
Wait, you mean to tell me houses are that cheap in Baltimore? 13K? 15K? What is this 1956?
They are in some areas! Depends all on location and condition. Federal Hill, Ridgley's delight, and some other neighborhoods around the harbor in the 70s had the dollar home program - speak of cheap housing! Now look at these neighborhoods! I want the city to make some houses $1 again!

Old 01-12-2011, 03:42 PM

31 posts, read 98,619 times
Quote:
Here are some examples of new rowhouses in Baltimore, well within your definition of the baltimore city limits, which sorry i must say is very weird.

Canton, Baltimore - Google Maps

Canton, Baltimore, MD - Google Maps

Locust Point, Baltimore, Maryland 21230 - Google Maps

Federal Hill-Montgomery, Baltimore, Maryland - Google Maps

Upton, Baltimore, MD - Google Maps

jonestown, Baltimore - Google Maps

And i take it you are refering to these new rowhouses on eutaw?
Bolton Hill, Baltimore, MD - Google Maps

While i think they look pretty good, i feel they are void of any of the character the grand majority of older baltimore rowhouses have.
Exactly my point they have no personality. And even some of the houses in canton have no personality. Even the houses you linked to are really just more of the same. I'll post pictures of what I'm talking about later

Old 01-12-2011, 04:32 PM

4,180 posts, read 14,595,746 times

Me thinks the Bostonian protests to much. Oh, those Baltimore rows!!!!!!! How disgusting. So unlike our more sacred Boston.

Seriously, the reason why I like Baltimore is because I can live in one of these (won't tell you which one) versus a studio in Boston for twice as much money. Not to disregard Boston. It's a very fine city. But I am happy here. I either walk or catch the metro to work. I have everything I need without a trip with the car (most of the time). What's to complain.

Now I agree with you in that Baltimore does have a lot of neglected neighborhoods that need work. But tearing down all the rows to put up garages with homes attached may not be the best answer.

All the pictures were taken by yours truely and I have tons more. I do regret that there are many neighborhoods without samples. One comes to mind is Ednor Gardens. I think the rows around there are really great. Anyway, that's all folks.

Old 01-12-2011, 05:15 PM

7,301 posts, read 13,513,021 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonjj View Post

All the pictures were taken by yours truely and I have tons more. I do regret that there are many neighborhoods without samples. One comes to mind is Ednor Gardens. I think the rows around there are really great. Anyway, that's all folks.
Oh my god look at all those terrible rowhouses! No character whatsoever!

Ednor Gardens has the neatest looking rows in town, in my biased opinion.

Old 01-12-2011, 05:20 PM

50 posts, read 111,878 times
Default Save the Rowhouses

Having moved from Atlanta not too long ago where they knock everything down in the name of "revitalization; and having lived in many major cities, including Columbia, MD, near Baltimore, I say keep the row houses. It is a part of the history of the city. The homes in Old Towne Alexandria, Va are even more narrow and no one is proposing to knock those down. Cities such as Baltimore have their own identity and personality and the white steps on the row houses happens to be a part of that. Leave them be.

Old 01-12-2011, 06:15 PM

805 posts, read 2,115,268 times
Nice pictures

I would have to pick Mt. Vernon for the nicest overall architecture. I do think other areas have very unique looks too. Baltimore has a lot of different types of neighborhoods and at first they might look similar but that's not the case. I guess you have to live here to appreciate them.

I also think there are a lot of neglected areas but ripping them all down would be such a loss. Some of those areas could be so awesome. The city needs to do a lot more to revitalize areas.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Baltimore