Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Baltimore
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-19-2007, 04:59 AM

13 posts, read 72,180 times

Advertisements

I've seen the wire on HBO and it's a very interesting series, HOWEVER not an environment I'd ever want to live in, I'm moving there soon and would like to know if I really will have to see people being killed, kids selling drugs, and lots of other horrible things!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-19-2007, 05:37 AM

1,389 posts, read 6,301,872 times
Yes and No it depends on the area. Baltimore city is by blocks one block might be nice then the other block is not. Baltimore will become the next Washington Dc is the next 5-10yrs. Baltimore is getting develope like crazy.

Old 07-19-2007, 06:15 AM

44 posts, read 271,716 times
I live in Baltimore county ($200k townhouse) in a supposedly nice area. There was a GANG SHOOTING across the street from my house. I saw it. I was outside when it happened. I feel safer in some parts of the city. However, you WILL see drugs, shootings, etc. It's everywhere. I used to feel safe going out in Canton and Fells Point (two hotspots for bars, restuarants in the city). There was a man shot and killed in broad daylight the other day in Fells Point. I won't let my 50-something mom go to the city alone. No way. I wish you luck if you're moving here.

Old 07-19-2007, 02:14 PM

1,463 posts, read 6,222,412 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fragile stone View Post
I've seen the wire on HBO and it's a very interesting series, HOWEVER not an environment I'd ever want to live in, I'm moving there soon and would like to know if I really will have to see people being killed, kids selling drugs, and lots of other horrible things!!!

LMao....Welll yes and no...Their are parts of Bmore that look and feel like the show. Then you have parts that are nice and modest and never have problems. The people who are getting merked involved in the drug game and know each other. Its not random where someone just rolls up on you and shoots. Just have to remember Bmore is like any other city and use common sense. Hoepefully with all transplants the tax base can increase and the future mayors can fix the education system...Its a pipe dream but I like to aspire big......

Old 07-19-2007, 11:19 PM

560 posts, read 1,130,457 times
I've been in Baltimore for two years now and I have not seen or heard of anyone dying in my vicinity at Morgan State. Yes kids kill kids, sell drugs, but it is because of a huge mismanagement of money on the administration's part, poor schools, and of course, the scars from racism. But it is only like mini-gangs fighting each other, walking up to each other and blowing each other's brains out, there are websites devoted to humanity of the victims, no matter how bad they were. But there also many parts where development and a wealth still exist, especially in the original northwood, roland park and many other neighborhoods on the outskirts, which are the safest because they are outlying areas, unlike fells point or mt. vernon or federal hill.

Old 12-26-2007, 07:25 AM

315 posts, read 1,300,521 times
short answer-yes

Old 12-26-2007, 11:40 AM

54 posts, read 255,851 times
Yes, the Wire is accurate and the "culture" is everywhere. It is no longer a case of if you live in certain areas or if you are not involved with drugs nothing will happen to you. That's a lie.

Buy mace, don't be flashy, don't have anything someone might want, keep your head down. It's not a fun way to live.

Old 12-26-2007, 12:08 PM

315 posts, read 1,300,521 times
[ Hoepefully with all transplants the tax base can increase and the future mayors can fix the education system...Its a pipe dream but I like to aspire big......]

The transplants are hauling ass outta there. Wait til the market recovers. I like to predict also, and I predict a flight from the city. O'Malley had a little success with crime reduction, just enough to give folks like me some thought that maybe things were changing. Nope, probably hit close to 300 murders this year. Like someone before me said, keep your head down.

Old 12-26-2007, 01:11 PM

45 posts, read 222,046 times
Default Are you planning on living in the projects?

Three simple rules in no particular order

Don't buy drugs
Don't sell drugs
Stay out of the projects

Old 12-26-2007, 01:29 PM

4,180 posts, read 14,600,083 times
I love "The Wire" but there was one episode--I believe in Season Three that blew my mind. In it, some members of the police had decided to allow drugs to be sold in a couple of blocks somewhere in "the city". The episode or episodes showed all of these people (I mean 100s) buying and selling drugs openly in this area. That was a bit far-fetched. Television writers have been known to exagerate to sell tickets.

Now to your initial question, yes, there are parts of Baltimore that are sketchy (to put it lightly), and best to be avoided. But, I have been walking the neighborhoods of Baltimore for over twenty years and never had an issue with violence. There are plenty of safe places to live and work and not be effected by that type of crime.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Baltimore
View detailed profiles of: