Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Baltimore
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-25-2013, 11:20 AM

4 posts, read 6,237 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by KLynch10 View Post
Tough call, do you have any idea roughly how much your house is worth? I'm thinking it would probably be worth it. A parking spot is starting to carry a 20k/30k bump in certain areas, plus will make your house sell much more quickly. I know parking around there is tough, especially for a lot of odd hours working hospital people who got off after 6pm.

Also, 13k seems like a lot of money, what all needs to be done?

Klynch10 - $11K of that goes to pay BG & E & Verizon to move a utility pole which is blocking the entrance to the parking pad and $2500 is for concrete work. I hate to pay BG& E & Verizon to buy them new infrastructure but maybe I am cutting off my nose to spite my face if I don't. I paid $249,00 for the home and it appraised for $269,000 - pre-closing appraisal. My appraiser says don't do it - my real estate agent says do it. My adult child (34) will be living there with hubby for next 4 years. I'm thinking I would get about $5K or $6K out it useage wise in 4 years. Plus - like you say - making it easier to sell. I don't live in Bmore and don't want to be an absentee landlord there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-25-2013, 12:33 PM

1,175 posts, read 2,900,139 times
For sure it will make your child's life easier. My sister-in-law lives around there and really struggle for parking after getting off her restaurant job. I think you will get that value back four years down the road, if not much more.

We can change all kinds of things about our house, but many houses cannot have parking no matter what. If you have a chance to have parking, it elevates your property above every comparable that doesn't. Tough call between realtor and appraiser, they both know well, but I think appraisers are bread to be super conservative these days because of the housing crash.

And would any hatchback likely fit, or just a the tiniest ones?

Old 09-26-2013, 11:00 AM

a very low to the ground car would fit under the guy wire - but its still hard to get in there unless the guy wire is moved. Seller had a Volvo station wagon parked in there when we looked at it - I now think he used magic to get it in there and I was dumb enough to fall for it.

Old 09-26-2013, 11:24 AM

1,175 posts, read 2,900,139 times
Have you tried putting any other car in there? Would it be worth trying one of their cars. I think it might be worth waiting a bit to see how it works out. I think either decision is a pretty good one. Sneaky move by the seller!

Old 09-27-2013, 09:20 AM

Yes - we have tried several cars - my husband is a boater (used to backing up boats on trailers) and thought he could do it if anyone could- even he could not.

Old 10-03-2013, 08:00 PM

6 posts, read 8,216 times
I live on the unit block of North Luzerne and think the area you looking at is a great choice. Parking Pad is always an advantage, trust me you will figure it out. I would not venture further than Fayette Street. We've lived here for going on 10 years and have had no issue's. It's the city! Some people think that A block or two north of the park is ooooooh soooo dangerous but it's not. My girlfriend is a server get's home at 12 o' clock on the weekends and although parking is the pit's has never had any issue's. People are going to have break in's- That's why we have alarm system's. Car's get broken into all the time due to owner error. Yup leaving your GPS stand in the car will make people wonder what else is in there. All in all I love this area. The park is so relaxing and you will meet plenty of people while you stroll through. On a Friday my neighbor's and I on nice night's sit on our stoop and have a beer or two and listen to some music and mingle. Everybody bring's out their chair's and we just have a good ole time doing so. There are free concert's in the park that lot of family's and neighbor's get together for.

Good luck in your decision but take the chance to talk to some of the neighbor's in Butcher's Hill. They will be more than happy to tell you about the neighborhood and how much they enjoy it.

Old 10-05-2013, 10:37 AM

5,724 posts, read 7,481,772 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by numbers101 View Post
I live North of Fayette Street on Milton (a few blocks down from you). The neighborhood is fine and is changing at a rapid pace. Very good investment, if you are buying. Hopkins is building luxury apartments 1 block West from you and a new educated populous is moving in daily into this neighborhood. You are on the 100 block, and those are perfectly fine. Even the 200 blocks are now in the process of improving. A home next door to me just sold for 220K. I bought mine 3 years ago for 100K. I am real happy. The 3 years I lived here, nothing major has happened except a couple of High School girls getting into a fight after getting off of a school bus.

Good for you!

Old 10-05-2013, 10:39 AM

5,724 posts, read 7,481,772 times
What the price range? taxes?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Baltimore