Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Baltimore
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-13-2011, 08:39 AM

19 posts, read 53,654 times

Advertisements

I am currently in the house hunting process and am trying to decide between a few different homes. The one I am favoring is in Butcher's Hill. I would like honest opinions from people who have lived near or are familiar with the neighborhood/area. It seems the few people I've talked to in Baltimore try to push me more towards Canton or Federal Hill. After visiting a few of these neighborhoods I think I favor the areas surrounding Patterson Park more than Federal Hill. I have heard that living above Baltimore St can get a little sketchy. The house I am trying to decide upon is above that street but the block looked fine to me. Does anyone have any thoughts or opinions that could hopefully help tip my decision? Btw I am young and single and will be living alone so I want to live in a place where I will feel secure. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-13-2011, 09:28 AM

4,180 posts, read 14,598,386 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimmie_P View Post
I am currently in the house hunting process and am trying to decide between a few different homes. The one I am favoring is in Butcher's Hill. I would like honest opinions from people who have lived near or are familiar with the neighborhood/area. It seems the few people I've talked to in Baltimore try to push me more towards Canton or Federal Hill. After visiting a few of these neighborhoods I think I favor the areas surrounding Patterson Park more than Federal Hill. I have heard that living above Baltimore St can get a little sketchy. The house I am trying to decide upon is above that street but the block looked fine to me. Does anyone have any thoughts or opinions that could hopefully help tip my decision? Btw I am young and single and will be living alone so I want to live in a place where I will feel secure. Thanks!

I live on Baltimore Street across from the park. (about four years now). I love it. The homes are a bit bigger than many in Canton. I have three dogs so that was a big factor also. I walk to/from work along Baltimore Street to downtown. Occasionally, I take the metro over at Hopkins if the weather is God-awful.
Having said all that, I love the neighborhood. But, you will have city-issues in Butchers Hill; probably a bit more than Canton. In the four years I have been here, I haven't had any issues but people have had their cars broken into and there have been robberies.
Two sources for you:
Butchers Hill has a very active neighborhood association and they post regular comments and concerns in their yahoo group. Anyone is invited to join and you would get a good sense of the concerns of the neighbors.
They also have a web site to address concerns and questions.

I also wanted to mention that I agree with others in that the further away from Orleans Street, the less crime you will experience. Even better would be to stay south of Fayette.

Depending on where the home is, it may be in the Patterson Park neighborhood or the Patterson Place neighborhood. Patterson Park neighbors (the area I am in) also has a very active neighborhood association and web site. The also have a yahoo group to join.

Old 02-13-2011, 10:13 AM

19 posts, read 53,654 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonjj View Post
I live on Baltimore Street across from the park. (about four years now). I love it. The homes are a bit bigger than many in Canton. I have three dogs so that was a big factor also. I walk to/from work along Baltimore Street to downtown. Occasionally, I take the metro over at Hopkins if the weather is God-awful.
Having said all that, I love the neighborhood. But, you will have city-issues in Butchers Hill; probably a bit more than Canton. In the four years I have been here, I haven't had any issues but people have had their cars broken into and there have been robberies.
Two sources for you:
Butchers Hill has a very active neighborhood association and they post regular comments and concerns in their yahoo group. Anyone is invited to join and you would get a good sense of the concerns of the neighbors.
They also have a web site to address concerns and questions.

I also wanted to mention that I agree with others in that the further away from Orleans Street, the less crime you will experience. Even better would be to stay south of Fayette.

Depending on where the home is, it may be in the Patterson Park neighborhood or the Patterson Place neighborhood. Patterson Park neighbors (the area I am in) also has a very active neighborhood association and web site. The also have a yahoo group to join.
Thanks, I appreciate your input. The house is on N Patterson Park Ave below Fayette. I really liked the homes and feel of the neighborhood more than some others I looked at and proximity to the park is a big draw. There were a few homes in Canton I liked as well but they are smaller and a parking pad is almost impossible to find in that neighborhood so I think the Butcher's Hill house may be my best option.

Old 02-14-2011, 06:24 AM

84 posts, read 276,385 times
Unless you think there is something magical keeping the people living North of Fayette from walking down the street to your house, I would reconsider. Take a drive (don't walk) North on North Patterson Park Drive. That's a pretty rough area, and those folks aint robbing each other.

Old 02-14-2011, 11:13 AM

201 posts, read 590,064 times
More house for your money in Butcher's Hill vs Canton. There are pluses and minuses to both.

Old 02-14-2011, 12:18 PM

8,239 posts, read 13,360,755 times
Butchers Hill north of Baltimore south of Orleans is not quite an outpost but you are approaching the frontier. Once you cross Orleans things tend to be way more sketchy though, in time, I believe redevelopment will improve the area approaching Monument Street and Hopkins.

Old 02-15-2011, 07:56 AM

1,349 posts, read 3,574,076 times
Baltimore to Fayette is okay, but anything north of Orleans is a total mess currently. Saying its likely to improve is pure speculation and with the pace things change in Baltimore will be unlikely to happen anytime in the near future, if ever. Are you comfortable being that close (1-2 blocks) to an area no sane person would suggest living? As someone mentioned there isn't exactly a fence or moat on Orleans street. There's a reason why comparable homes there are a little cheaper. I personally wouldn't consider living there, but other people are okay with it and seem to like it.

Old 09-24-2013, 12:13 PM

4 posts, read 6,243 times
along the lines of this thread - I own a row house in butcher's hill which I plan to sell in 4 years. It has a parking pad for an extremely small car (talking smart car or mini-cooper). For 13K I can have it converted to an actual parking pad for a normal car. Should I spend the money or not?

Old 09-24-2013, 02:23 PM

1,175 posts, read 2,900,550 times
Tough call, do you have any idea roughly how much your house is worth? I'm thinking it would probably be worth it. A parking spot is starting to carry a 20k/30k bump in certain areas, plus will make your house sell much more quickly. I know parking around there is tough, especially for a lot of odd hours working hospital people who got off after 6pm.

Also, 13k seems like a lot of money, what all needs to be done?

Old 09-24-2013, 04:26 PM

74 posts, read 122,356 times
I live North of Fayette Street on Milton (a few blocks down from you). The neighborhood is fine and is changing at a rapid pace. Very good investment, if you are buying. Hopkins is building luxury apartments 1 block West from you and a new educated populous is moving in daily into this neighborhood. You are on the 100 block, and those are perfectly fine. Even the 200 blocks are now in the process of improving. A home next door to me just sold for 220K. I bought mine 3 years ago for 100K. I am real happy. The 3 years I lived here, nothing major has happened except a couple of High School girls getting into a fight after getting off of a school bus.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Baltimore