Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Baltimore
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-12-2011, 10:01 AM

5 posts, read 8,996 times

Advertisements

Hello everyone,

I am new here I did search the forum and threads many times to look for a place to live. I am also looking at listings on craigslist often.

I just got accepted to a PhD program at Johns Hopkins Bloomberg School of Public Health. So I would have to move. I'm currently living in NYC so sirens and crime rates don't bother me too much.

So far I have found out Fells Point, places near Patterson Park, Mt. Vernon, and Charles Village would be good for me. I will not have a car and since I am new to the area, I would really like to get a place near my school.

My budget is < $1200. Is there an apartment complex/building that is... ?:

1. Dog friendly, preferably without the monthly pet rent: I have two beagles both under 30lbs.

2. All utilities included (electricity, water, trash, possibly the Internet): I noticed that people complain about utility bills being crazy high in Baltimore. What's the average like??

3. Hardwood/-like floor: So much easy to clean.

Am I asking too much?? I can care less about nightlife scenes or skyline views or luxury/modern style buildings since I would pretty much eat-sleep-study. But I cannot give up my dogs. I would want a place where I can take my dogs out for a short walk at 8pm or later. Is this impossible in Baltimore?

I would really appreciate any ideas. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-12-2011, 11:16 AM

1,757 posts, read 5,138,453 times
Patterson Park is very pet friendly and would more or less be walking distance from JHH. $1200 is on the lower side but if the city and nightlife amenities aren't a priority then I think it's doable. Pets seem to be the harder thing to find but it can be done. If you'd like I can pull up a list of rentals for you in the area.

I don't think you'd find anything with all the utilities included however. Gas/electric maybe but generally not water and cable/internet. BGE (gas and electric) has never been outrageous for me but I know some have had varied experiences. On any given month if you're living by yourself and paying more than $100 you either have a very large home or you are leaving all the lights and heat/AC on at all times.

Old 03-12-2011, 01:54 PM

79 posts, read 228,559 times
hi PH, if you find a small row home in Upper Fells Point, Butchers Hill or Patterson Park you could walk to school, if you wanted to do that.... You could also take the Metro subway from downtown, Mt Vernon or Bolton Hill. Southern Management has several apartment buildings that should fit your price range and include utilities. Also, Sutton Place apartments in Bolton Hill should be around that price too. Good luck!

Also, you can call BGE at 410-685-0123 and get the 12-month average utility cost for any property.

Old 03-13-2011, 12:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by davecj View Post
Patterson Park is very pet friendly and would more or less be walking distance from JHH. $1200 is on the lower side but if the city and nightlife amenities aren't a priority then I think it's doable. Pets seem to be the harder thing to find but it can be done. If you'd like I can pull up a list of rentals for you in the area.

I don't think you'd find anything with all the utilities included however. Gas/electric maybe but generally not water and cable/internet. BGE (gas and electric) has never been outrageous for me but I know some have had varied experiences. On any given month if you're living by yourself and paying more than $100 you either have a very large home or you are leaving all the lights and heat/AC on at all times.
Hi Dave,

Thanks for the info

I would really appreciate if you could post that list of rentals. Thanks!

Old 03-13-2011, 12:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dfredward View Post
hi PH, if you find a small row home in Upper Fells Point, Butchers Hill or Patterson Park you could walk to school, if you wanted to do that.... You could also take the Metro subway from downtown, Mt Vernon or Bolton Hill. Southern Management has several apartment buildings that should fit your price range and include utilities. Also, Sutton Place apartments in Bolton Hill should be around that price too. Good luck!

Also, you can call BGE at 410-685-0123 and get the 12-month average utility cost for any property.
Thanks dfredward!

I'll call BGE soon, and also check out Southern Management & Sutton Place. I appreciate your help!

Old 03-18-2011, 02:22 PM

2 posts, read 4,335 times
Hi sorry I'm new to this website and haven't quite figured out how to post a new forum!

I was wondering if anyone had any insight into the areas South of Patterson Park, safety wise for 3, 24 year old females?

Thank you!

Old 03-18-2011, 02:49 PM

South of Patterson Park (Canton) is mainly comprised of people your age and is quite a safe area with a very fun night life.

Old 03-18-2011, 03:38 PM

2 posts, read 4,335 times
Great, thank you I appreciate your help!

Old 03-18-2011, 08:29 PM

Sure no problem. Are you guys moving from College Park or the surrounding areas?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Baltimore