Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Baltimore
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-01-2011, 12:11 PM

13,648 posts, read 20,767,629 times

Advertisements

Similiar to Hells Kitchen in Manhattan which realtors and developers began calling Clinton/Midtown West in the 80s. Most residents, old and new, continue to call it Hells Kitchen.

I was visiting Italy once and told some people about Pigtown. They thought it was great.

Old 04-01-2011, 03:31 PM

206 posts, read 472,452 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by westsideboy View Post
I never said the pigs would be offended, it is those that love them so that could take offense. The real issue is that people that live 140 miles from something they are offended by, may want to spend some time discussing their position with the the delegates from that area and the residents that live there.

Ms. Gladden's sin is not being offended by the name, but thinking the way to "fix it" was run straight to an Annapolis committee and start this process behind the backs of the people that live in the area. Imagine if an Allegany or Garrett County delegate proposed a bill to start changing the names of Baltimore neighborhoods out of the blue and behind the native's backs. Would people in Baltimore be offended, even if the suggestions had some merit? I bet they would.
Your logic fails. No PETA people care. Pigtown doesn't offend anybody, it just annoys some that they can't sell their real estate as dear as they would like. And ultimately the creation of some local identity that acknowledges history will help their monetary cause.

The great thing is we don't have a "Coloredville" or "Gooktown" to get up in arms about, we wouldn't tolerate it as residents, and we don't need the outside cavalry to come in. The Planning Department (where these names become "official" after the real estate markets have spoken) doesn't recognize anything so dumb and print it.

You might be totally right about Ms. Gladden. I don't really care here. We were talking about Pigtown and not false comparisons.

Old 04-01-2011, 04:41 PM

6,999 posts, read 11,293,992 times
Sometimes humor is the best way to point out the absurdity of people's actions. I like logic as much as the next person, but sometimes it is better to lighten things up a little. I am sure you can tell the difference between satire and actual logical comparison. If you can't tell the difference, this symbol means "sarcastic" and I used it in my original post to point out it was satire. Most people seem have gotten it, I have racked up some rep points from that post.

Last time I checked Negro wasn't a slur word either. If it is, the United Negro College Fund must be in big trouble

Old 04-09-2011, 02:04 AM

661 posts, read 1,247,630 times
seriously I saw new constructions and new pedestrian walkways you'd see in anapolis and more cop presence as if to say they are cleaning up pigtown.

Quote:
Originally Posted by thealfa View Post
or i'm just high?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Baltimore