Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Baltimore
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-26-2011, 12:06 PM

50 posts, read 171,014 times

Advertisements

As the weather has been getting nicer outside, I have started to run around the Inner Harbor around 6:00PM versus my usual 5:30am runs. Every time I run around there at night, I cannot stop thinking to myself “Isn’t the Inner Harbor supposed to be a tourist attraction, instead of being a tourism detractor?” For those of you who do not know what I am talking about, let me explain - it is nearly impossible to run or walk around the Inner Harbor without hearing adolescents screaming expletives, giving the middle finger to people, or being disrespectful to the environment/visitors to the city. I pay way too much for my city property taxes, and I get sick myself knowing that the beautiful area surrounding the Inner Harbor (that all Baltimore residents pay to keep nice) is being overrun by people who have no supervision, nor respect for themselves or the people who are actually trying to enjoy the Inner Harbor.

I recently read that there was a stabbing within a large group of teenagers who were “just hanging out because it was the day after Easter” Teen stabbed as youths converge Downtown - baltimoresun.com - I am getting nervous that violence like this could break out around the Inner Harbor at any second.

Is there anything that can be done to try to clean up the Inner Harbor to make it more attractive/less hostile for visitors?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-26-2011, 12:43 PM

2,713 posts, read 3,022,844 times
I was about to make a topic about this but I decided against it lol.

I think I saw the group of teenagers on my way home from work too, yelling stuff like F- Shaefer ( I know I spelled his name wrong). Cursing, taunting etc.

I saw the story about the mob on the news also.

Its really nothing that can be done, there's a high school not far away. The kids get out of school and do what they want.(not sure if school was open) Every time there's an incident there are few days of "increased police patrol through the harbor" then the cops go away. On a normal at the harbor (atleast when I'm down the harbor) I see 2-3 cops totals. I do understand the police can not be everywhere though.

Its a shame cause the city has been talking about adding stuff to the harbor to make it more fun/ or family friendly. Personally I would hope tax dollars would not be used as long as there are thugs going around harassing tourists. It would be a total waste of money.

Last edited by Jermaine88; 04-26-2011 at 01:00 PM..

Old 04-27-2011, 05:27 AM

775 posts, read 1,784,190 times
Last summer there was virtually a cop on every corner downtown after dark due to a number of violent incidents. It didn't seem to have much of an impact. It's kind of like what Willie Sutton said when he was asked why he robbed banks. "Because that's where the money is." Criminals are going to prey on tourists and decent citizens were they are-downtown. My advice is find another running route.

Old 04-27-2011, 07:10 AM

50 posts, read 171,014 times
It is a sin. It is so beautiful down there when I run in the morning.

I wish the city would make a good use of tax dollars and make the Inner Harbor more welcoming.. don't they know more tourism=more revenue?

Old 04-28-2011, 07:58 AM

4,180 posts, read 14,593,147 times
I guess this kind of thing can happen elsewhere also.

9 Charged In OC Boardwalk Attack - Baltimore, Maryland News Story - WBAL Baltimore (http://www.wbaltv.com/news/27671948/detail.html - broken link)

Old 04-28-2011, 08:27 AM

18,630 posts, read 19,412,427 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newlocustpt View Post
As the weather has been getting nicer outside, I have started to run around the Inner Harbor around 6:00PM versus my usual 5:30am runs. Every time I run around there at night, I cannot stop thinking to myself “Isn’t the Inner Harbor supposed to be a tourist attraction, instead of being a tourism detractor?” For those of you who do not know what I am talking about, let me explain - it is nearly impossible to run or walk around the Inner Harbor without hearing adolescents screaming expletives, giving the middle finger to people, or being disrespectful to the environment/visitors to the city. I pay way too much for my city property taxes, and I get sick myself knowing that the beautiful area surrounding the Inner Harbor (that all Baltimore residents pay to keep nice) is being overrun by people who have no supervision, nor respect for themselves or the people who are actually trying to enjoy the Inner Harbor.

I recently read that there was a stabbing within a large group of teenagers who were “just hanging out because it was the day after Easter” Teen stabbed as youths converge Downtown - baltimoresun.com - I am getting nervous that violence like this could break out around the Inner Harbor at any second.

Is there anything that can be done to try to clean up the Inner Harbor to make it more attractive/less hostile for visitors?
Racist!!! How dare you complain about unruly teenagers, who are Black.

Old 04-28-2011, 08:40 AM

8,230 posts, read 13,345,033 times
I thought there was a curfew in the City for teens??

Old 04-28-2011, 03:51 PM

3,237 posts, read 6,318,018 times
It's a shame that a certain demographic can ruin what is clearly the only thing that Baltimore has going for it in terms of a tourist attraction. They dont realize that what they are doing will only hurt themselves in the long run. They should stay out of the area they have no business in.

Old 04-29-2011, 07:18 AM

83 posts, read 447,592 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jermaine88 View Post
Its really nothing that can be done, there's a high school not far away. The kids get out of school and do what they want.
Do you mean the Digital Harbor High School in Fed Hill? It's a magnet school and probably not the source of the problem kids. I see the kids pour into the Cross St. area after school lets out and they've been harmless.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Baltimore