Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Baltimore
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-21-2011, 10:55 AM

4,180 posts, read 14,595,746 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by utahperson View Post
Several Hopkins men have been shot recently. Be careful.

What? You make it up as you go along, eh.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-21-2011, 03:16 PM

5 posts, read 15,723 times
It seems like mixed reviews for the area. I am going to be going back and forth to Atlanta a good bit (long-distance relationship) and wanted to save some money. I liked the apartment and talked to the former resident and the person that will live in the upstairs apartment and it seemed like it was gonna be ok. I'm only going to be in Baltimore for a year. I looked on the stats for the area (Bayview Area, Baltimore, MD Neighborhood Crime Map, Statistics, Alerts and Reports) and did not see any shootings in the area, just car thefts and break-ins homes which is to be expected in any urban area and did not look any different that the crime stats for Fed Hill (Federal Hill, Baltimore, MD Neighborhood Crime Map, Statistics, Alerts and Reports). Any thoughts?

Old 05-21-2011, 03:35 PM

1,973 posts, read 6,808,058 times
Default Stop worrying, dude

Don't worry, be happy!

Old 05-22-2011, 04:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jalee6 View Post
It seems like mixed reviews for the area. I am going to be going back and forth to Atlanta a good bit (long-distance relationship) and wanted to save some money. I liked the apartment and talked to the former resident and the person that will live in the upstairs apartment and it seemed like it was gonna be ok. I'm only going to be in Baltimore for a year. I looked on the stats for the area (Bayview Area, Baltimore, MD Neighborhood Crime Map, Statistics, Alerts and Reports) and did not see any shootings in the area, just car thefts and break-ins homes which is to be expected in any urban area and did not look any different that the crime stats for Fed Hill (Federal Hill, Baltimore, MD Neighborhood Crime Map, Statistics, Alerts and Reports). Any thoughts?
It sounds like it suits your purpose. It's a quiet area kind of tucked away. It is relatively close to the more popular areas. There isn't that much crime there at all.

Old 05-22-2011, 09:39 AM

18,630 posts, read 19,414,577 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jalee6 View Post
The Bayview area was once white working class and is changing to Hispanic. Both groups tend to have low violent crime levels. You should be fine.

The problems Hopkins have are on its main campus which is in an African-American neighborhood. You should read some of the security bulletins that we receive from that area. Frightening.

Old 05-22-2011, 05:03 PM

1,973 posts, read 6,808,058 times
Default Let's be specific

Quote:
Originally Posted by EdwardA View Post
The problems Hopkins have are on its main campus which is in an African-American neighborhood. You should read some of the security bulletins that we receive from that area. Frightening.
Since we have lots of readers who are not familiar with Baltimore, the natural question is: Where is the Hopkins main campus?
Most Baltimoreans would probably say Homewood, which is surrounded by some of the city's most desirable (and expensive) residential neighborhoods -- Roland Park, Tuscany-Canterbury, Guilford plus Charles Village (popular and safe), Wyman Park (ditto), and Remington (up-and-coming).
Yes, the expanding medical campus -- the main Broadway campus -- in East Baltimore has issues. But those issues are being addressed and, as a result of large-scale demolitions and redevelopment plans, are limited to mostly one corner of the surrounding area. In fact, anyone with a heavy work/study schedule could do much worse than get a pad in one of the brand-new apartment buildings within walking distance of the hospital. Many Hopkinsnites also find themselves comfortable in Upper Fells Point, Butchers Hill and Patterson Park.
The third campus is Bayview, the one-time home of Baltimore City Hospitals. None of adjoining residential areas wins bragging rights at cocktail parties but they are safe and affordable -- except for slurs from those who don't know the communities and tarnish with a broad brush.

Last edited by barante; 05-22-2011 at 05:17 PM..

Old 05-22-2011, 05:49 PM

18,630 posts, read 19,414,577 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by barante View Post
Since we have lots of readers who are not familiar with Baltimore, the natural question is: Where is the Hopkins main campus?
Most Baltimoreans would probably say Homewood, which is surrounded by some of the city's most desirable (and expensive) residential neighborhoods -- Roland Park, Tuscany-Canterbury, Guilford plus Charles Village (popular and safe), Wyman Park (ditto), and Remington (up-and-coming).
Yes, the expanding medical campus -- the main Broadway campus -- in East Baltimore has issues. But those issues are being addressed and, as a result of large-scale demolitions and redevelopment plans, are limited to mostly one corner of the surrounding area. In fact, anyone with a heavy work/study schedule could do much worse than get a pad in one of the brand-new apartment buildings within walking distance of the hospital. Many Hopkinsnites also find themselves comfortable in Upper Fells Point, Butchers Hill and Patterson Park.
The third campus is Bayview, the one-time home of Baltimore City Hospitals. None of adjoining residential areas wins bragging rights at cocktail parties but they are safe and affordable -- except for slurs from those who don't know the communities and tarnish with a broad brush.
I'm referencing the main hospital and that area is not safe.

Old 05-23-2011, 05:22 AM

775 posts, read 1,784,748 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonjj View Post
What? You make it up as you go along, eh.
Maybe that guy is Bawlmer! I heard he has lots of handles you know.

Old 05-23-2011, 01:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by are you kidinme? View Post
Maybe that guy is Bawlmer! I heard he has lots of handles you know.

cute!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Baltimore
View detailed profiles of: