Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Baltimore
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-27-2011, 08:07 AM

34,090 posts, read 82,975,811 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by HandsUpThumbsDown View Post
How do you know the elementary schools around there are terrible? Jeez.
You talkin' to me?

Who said they're terrible?
The OP asked for "great" and I used the term "decent".

Aside from the semantics and the subjective...
is there a criticism of the accuracy in my comments?
Right.
--
OP: You're moving to an unusual area in the US w/r/t how the municipal governments of the City
and the surrounding County are organized and consequently how the public school systems operate (separately).
The City schools are doing some good work and are improving in all sorts of ways.

As a newcomer you have a fundamental choice to make right now.
In poker terms... that choice is to either check or to raise.
Do you like to gamble?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-27-2011, 10:14 AM

1,175 posts, read 2,900,855 times
Places to look. City Rentals will probably be more expensive than county, and some of the neighborhoods may be way out of your range, but sometimes there is a smaller townhome near the mansions.

City

Hampden, Mt. Washington, Homeland, Roland Park, Charles Village, Medfield, Guilford, Tuscany-Cantebury, Cross Keys

County

Towson, Loch Raven Village, Lutherville, Timmonium, Cockeysville, Hunt Valley, Pikesville, Owings Mills

Old 05-28-2011, 03:41 PM

5 posts, read 9,055 times
Thank you so much for all your help. My husband is flying in on Wed to look for some places. Right now we found 3 apartments we are interested in - Belvedere Towers in Roland Park, Wyman Park Apt and Ivymount apartments in Mt. Washington. Is anybody familiar with one of these places? We would really appreciate some information about them. Thank you

Old 05-30-2011, 05:07 PM

13 posts, read 17,489 times
Could you find something?

Old 05-31-2011, 06:33 AM

3,766 posts, read 4,104,726 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zuzi78 View Post
Thank you so much for all your help. My husband is flying in on Wed to look for some places. Right now we found 3 apartments we are interested in - Belvedere Towers in Roland Park, Wyman Park Apt and Ivymount apartments in Mt. Washington. Is anybody familiar with one of these places? We would really appreciate some information about them. Thank you

You must understand that if you locate in any of those places, you will be sending your kids to Baltimore City public schools. Good luck with that; you'll need it.

Old 05-31-2011, 10:41 AM

4,180 posts, read 14,598,386 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by james777 View Post
You must understand that if you locate in any of those places, you will be sending your kids to Baltimore City public schools. Good luck with that; you'll need it.

These blanket statements of opinion of Baltimore City Schools are getting annoying. Although I am not familiar with the schools, I understand from many parents in the city that there are some good ones to choose from and not all of them are bad. I also understand that the schools have been making some tremendous progress in the past five years or so. I would suggest doing some research on individual schools before making harsh judgments on the entire system.

Old 05-31-2011, 11:01 AM

7,301 posts, read 13,516,151 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonjj View Post
These blanket statements of opinion of Baltimore City Schools are getting annoying. Although I am not familiar with the schools, I understand from many parents in the city that there are some good ones to choose from and not all of them are bad. I also understand that the schools have been making some tremendous progress in the past five years or so. I would suggest doing some research on individual schools before making harsh judgments on the entire system.
^
what he said

Old 05-31-2011, 02:33 PM

251 posts, read 721,790 times
I understand this city doesn't have the most attractive school system, but I don't see why people feel the need to mention it in every single thread. There are in fact good schools in the city, and the current sentiment seems to be that elementary schools are no problem, it is only with older kids that private schools are considered "necesary" for Baltimore. I'd really like to know more about the people who dismiss all public schools out right, but this is not the thread for that.

Old 06-01-2011, 04:53 AM

34,090 posts, read 82,975,811 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by End-User View Post
...but I don't see why people feel the need to mention it in every single thread.
Did you read the OP?
Of the twenty or so basic factors one might consider when making a move to a new city they know nothing about...
what did the OP ask about?

Old 06-01-2011, 07:57 PM

251 posts, read 721,790 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRational View Post
Did you read the OP?
Of the twenty or so basic factors one might consider when making a move to a new city they know nothing about...
what did the OP ask about?
If you notice, I addressed the OP's specific needs when it comes to education based on the ages provided, with slightly more specific information than others have in this thread. It's just that I work with some schools and get tired of the fairly constant "dire warnings" from people that don't seem to have recent first hand knowledge. A positive attitude and community investment could go a long way toward fixing the school system, but instead I see people saying not to bother and just leave the system abandoned and rotting to death.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Baltimore