Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Baltimore
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-28-2011, 01:55 AM

661 posts, read 1,248,048 times

Advertisements

This rowhome i'm looking into needs rehab. It needs to be paid off in cash. Anyway, so the yearly payment I'd have to worry about is: annual property tax and home insurance. Correct? This rowhome I'm looking into does not have a yard, therefore no outside maintenance (like mowing the lawn/gardening). I'm curious about trash collection. Is that included in the annual property tax? Here in Montgomery County I think there is a trash collection fee every 3 months or so (maybe for recycles not regular trash). Not sure how Baltimore works. Then there's monthly HOME utilities: water, electric, gas. What else did I miss? I just want to make sure that there's no surprises!

Last edited by thealfa; 05-28-2011 at 02:10 AM..

Old 05-28-2011, 04:01 AM

4,180 posts, read 14,595,746 times
Trash collection is included with you tax. No special fee.

Old 05-28-2011, 07:35 AM

1,175 posts, read 2,900,139 times
Taxes, insurance, electric, water, cable, and possibly a ground rent like $50 a year.

Old 05-28-2011, 12:10 PM

158 posts, read 395,678 times
oooh - yes. Don't forget ground rent. Not all houses have ground rent - - go to the MDSDAT website, look up your property, and if there are links to "ground rent redemption" and/or "ground rent registration" you likely have to pay some amount of ground rent. It's not much.

Some areas of Bmore have special "benefits district" taxes, too - again, not much - although if you're looking to buy in West Bmore I don't think any exist over there. Midtown, Charles Village are the two areas I can think of off the top of my head.

Old 05-28-2011, 10:38 PM

757 posts, read 2,554,115 times
You should be careful when considering the property tax. If the previous owner lived there for a while and benefited from the homestead property tax credit, you might end up having a much larger annual payment than they did if the house has appreciated in value, especially if you do renovations that improve the property. I know people who found that they had a higher tax bill than anticipated after closing.

An alarm system fee, if you think it's warranted, and a residential parking permit (which is only about $30 per year, if applicable) are the only other fees I can think of.

Old 05-29-2011, 02:01 AM

No gas?

I'm not a TV person so no cable. LOL. Ground rent is? Does that mean I'd be paying for the ground the house sits on? Is that what it is for?

Quote:
Originally Posted by KLynch10 View Post
Taxes, insurance, electric, water, cable, and possibly a ground rent like $50 a year.

Old 05-29-2011, 02:08 AM

I think I was told the annual property tax is under $300, is this about right for certain parts of the city? How is the property tax determined anyway, by how much the house cost or by zip code? The homestead property tax credit was never mentioned anywhere so I'm not sure it applies.

Alarm system I could consider so are iron bars. Are there any rules regarding iron bars for doors and windows? I've seen these on some homes but not all. How do I know if I need residential parking permit?

Quote:
Originally Posted by rudy_d View Post
You should be careful when considering the property tax. If the previous owner lived there for a while and benefited from the homestead property tax credit, you might end up having a much larger annual payment than they did if the house has appreciated in value, especially if you do renovations that improve the property. I know people who found that they had a higher tax bill than anticipated after closing.

An alarm system fee, if you think it's warranted, and a residential parking permit (which is only about $30 per year, if applicable) are the only other fees I can think of.

Old 05-29-2011, 08:19 AM

Ground rents are stupid. I have one and it's like $60 a year. It means someone else owns the land. The only reason people own them is so they can seize properties if people default on the payments. Just make sure you pay it if you have one. Find the tax record on the house to gett all this info. Look out for liens as well, you don't want to buy a house and find there is a 20k lien on the property. A good title company can go figure all of this out.

The taxes should be 2.26 per $100 of assessed value. So 300k would have an annual tax of $6,780. The big game is, what does the city think your homes is worth? Buy low because they can only raise it 4% a year. At $300, the city thinks the home is worth $13,274. If it's worth much more, it's a great deal for taxes.

Old 05-29-2011, 08:30 AM

If you get an alarm system you also need a phone line. So you are looking at $70 extra bucks a month. I've never found it worth it. I live in fed hill and a home burglary would be nearly impossible with the all the neighbors and pedestrians around all the time. In a good rowhome block, people really keep an eye on your house.

Old 05-29-2011, 11:47 AM

4,180 posts, read 14,595,746 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KLynch10 View Post
If you get an alarm system you also need a phone line. So you are looking at $70 extra bucks a month. I've never found it worth it. I live in fed hill and a home burglary would be nearly impossible with the all the neighbors and pedestrians around all the time. In a good rowhome block, people really keep an eye on your house.

A phone line is not required for an alarm system.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Baltimore
View detailed profiles of: