Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Baltimore
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-17-2011, 07:49 AM

206 posts, read 472,514 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Fairfaxian View Post
Funny thing is my definition of "diverse" and "integrated" are swapped. But I will say that the nearby neighborhoods of National Harbor, Fells Point, and Federal Hill were highly integrated from my view (or in your perspective, diverse).
hehe, interesting what observations you've formed in your time over state lines ...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-17-2011, 09:58 AM

51 posts, read 121,904 times
The Baltimore Neighborhood Indicators Alliance has demographic profiles by neighborhood that may be of interest. The city planning department used to have this information in an easy-to-navigate excel sheet online, but I couldn't find it. These data are from the 2000 census; I haven't seen anything like this yet for 2010.

Neighborhood Statistical Area (NSA) Profiles::Baltimore Neighborhood Indicators Alliance

Old 06-17-2011, 11:21 AM

4,180 posts, read 14,593,147 times
I'll weigh in on this one. I really do believe Patterson Park may be the most "diverse and integrated" neighborhood in the city. One, it has a lot of Hispanics (almost a third of the neighborhood) which I doubt Pigtown has. It also has a well-represented portion of both white and black of all incomes. Attending the association meetings and working with the neighborhood association on projects seems to verify that.
I won't get into the "diversity vs. integrated vs. gentrified" discussion. So much of that is so subjective it's not worth it.

Old 06-17-2011, 12:48 PM

8,230 posts, read 13,345,033 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Fairfaxian View Post
Funny thing is my definition of "diverse" and "integrated" are swapped. But I will say that the nearby neighborhoods of National Harbor, Fells Point, and Federal Hill were highly integrated from my view (or in your perspective, diverse).

The reason why I chose the wording "diverse" versus "intergrated" is because diversity is the more PC word that everybody loves...people always say that they want to live in a diverse community when referring to various neighborhoods..and in the workplace etc.. So most people that use this word that way view it as a positive thing. Intergration though it could mean the exact same thing has the stigma associated with other social issues such as school busing of the 1970s, the Civil Rights (Jim Crow) struggle, and blockbusting in various neighborhoods such as Edmonson Village which were viewed as negatives, not necessarily because that they happened, but the way that they happened and the experience was traumatizing for many...In these examples people simply just lived together, went to school together etc..Of course eventually, intergration achieved some levels of diversity in many circumstance.. not so much in others..such as in the evolution of 'white flight'.

Old 06-19-2011, 12:04 PM

81 posts, read 238,504 times
I don't understand what you people are talking about. One of my main beefs with the city of Baltimore and the county is that there is no integaration among people of different ethnic backgrounds. Go to any neighborhood even Patterson park people of different backgrounds don't talk to each other and you feel the tension. There is one neighborhood though as the original poster mentioned where it is not like that in any way and that is Washington Village. I don't ever want o come back, however if I had a choice it would be Washington village. I understand most of you refer folks to some of the yuppish neighborhoods in the city, or the suburbs but it is sad that you are telling people to avoid an area just because you have people with a specific socioeconomic background. Not only that they are connecting as well, something you see in Philly, NYC and other cities. Race relations in Baltimore are the worst IMO in the country. There was a post not to long ago where a person whobwas new to the area just did not understand why it was white vs black, and hardly in cultural diversity. One person mention the jhh area give me a break once they there jobs I can assure you they are trying to get out of that area and head down to the suburbs. Most of you people here mislead a lot. The Baltimore area in my opinion is a headache and not even worth trying to figure out.

Old 06-19-2011, 01:08 PM

1,175 posts, read 2,899,371 times
Race relations in Baltimore worst in the Country? That is one of the funniest things I've ever heard! I don't think there is much of a Race problem at all in this City and area. City's were set up a certain way a long time ago, and many people stay put, that doesn't mean they don't get a long with people of a different race, just means they live where they live. Personally I think Patterson Park is a great example of all the different races enjoying each other, but I guess you see things through a different lense.

You should go to Richmond or anywhere south of there sometime, you'll be in for an eye opener!

Old 06-19-2011, 02:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KLynch10 View Post
Race relations in Baltimore worst in the Country? That is one of the funniest things I've ever heard! I don't think there is much of a Race problem at all in this City and area. City's were set up a certain way a long time ago, and many people stay put, that doesn't mean they don't get a long with people of a different race, just means they live where they live. Personally I think Patterson Park is a great example of all the different races enjoying each other, but I guess you see things through a different lense.

You should go to Richmond or anywhere south of there sometime, you'll be in for an eye opener!
If you do not see that there is a problem with race relations in Baltimore you are the one who needs to open your eyes. If you are not originally from the city an just a transplant, than don't talk.

I think Baltimore is a very poor version of Atlanta. One because it appears ignorance is supported among the populous, which disappoints me. Two, because instead of popular and trendy neighborhoods that still have some semblance of diversity, it is filled with Caucasian people who feel that they are entitled, and don't feel the need to interact with other residents because of what there friends and the media tell them. There is rarely no mingling among ethnic backgrounds in the city and the county. Race relations are very poor and I don't find anything else that is special about Baltimore other than it's central location to other cities in the east. So please stop trying to tell people that there is a grea connection between people like you see in NYC or the Delaware valley. It is practically non existent, and when I first came there it was one of the first things I noticed.

Last edited by prinessdanika99; 06-19-2011 at 03:21 PM..

Old 06-19-2011, 04:18 PM

4,180 posts, read 14,593,147 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by prinessdanika99 View Post
If you do not see that there is a problem with race relations in Baltimore you are the one who needs to open your eyes. If you are not originally from the city an just a transplant, than don't talk.

I think Baltimore is a very poor version of Atlanta. One because it appears ignorance is supported among the populous, which disappoints me. Two, because instead of popular and trendy neighborhoods that still have some semblance of diversity, it is filled with Caucasian people who feel that they are entitled, and don't feel the need to interact with other residents because of what there friends and the media tell them. There is rarely no mingling among ethnic backgrounds in the city and the county. Race relations are very poor and I don't find anything else that is special about Baltimore other than it's central location to other cities in the east. So please stop trying to tell people that there is a grea connection between people like you see in NYC or the Delaware valley. It is practically non existent, and when I first came there it was one of the first things I noticed.
Your opinion and thank you for sharing. Personally, I've lived in quite a few places for quite a few periods of time and I don't see Baltimore's race relations as better/worse than anywhere else. Also, I find it offensive that you generalize about the Caucasian people in Baltimore. That reeks of racism to me and sparks the idea that your feelings about Baltimore were brought on by yourself.

Old 06-19-2011, 04:24 PM

1,175 posts, read 2,899,371 times
I am from here, I work with people of all different backgrounds, and things seem pretty solid. I've been to many different places. Clearly you're bitter about something, we'll agree to disagree. You should go out in Federal Hill sometime, it's not quite as "White and Entitled" as you think, same with Canton, Fells, and Mt. Vernon. Sure Baltimore has an Ivy league thing going on at times.... but didn't NYC invent that?

You don't like this City, that's fine, there are plenty of people that do, and the downtown population has grown by 130% so clearly there are a lot new young people that don't agree with you. I guess you are somewhere that people treat you like a Princess?

Old 06-19-2011, 04:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KLynch10 View Post
I am from here, I work with people of all different backgrounds, and things seem pretty solid. I've been to many different places. Clearly you're bitter about something, we'll agree to disagree. You should go out in Federal Hill sometime, it's not quite as "White and Entitled" as you think, same with Canton, Fells, and Mt. Vernon. Sure Baltimore has an Ivy league thing going on at times.... but didn't NYC invent that?

You don't like this City, that's fine, there are plenty of people that do, and the downtown population has grown by 130% so clearly there are a lot new young people that don't agree with you. I guess you are somewhere that people treat you like a Princess?
Many of them are Caucasian, right? City used to be 70% black 25 percent white,now it is probably 60/35 percent. Caucasians are making up the new residents. Similar to what is going on in Dc, and Atlanta. The new folks moving in are not mingling with other people, that is all I m saying. It is obvious, and what I am trying to get at. I rarely saw a diverse group of friends in any shopping centers and malls in the city and county. I saw a great deal of this in Columbia and Washington village. I saw people of different ethnic backgrounds helping each other out in washington village, like help for a flat tire. Same scenario in Baltimore county and I believe in canton where I saw an aa ind just waiting at a receive help for his broken car. Not one Caucasian came out to assist him. I know because I came back that same hour and there he was. I thought interracial dating between black men and white women is fairly common did not see it at all in the city or county until I went to Washington village and finally saw what appeared to be an interracial relationship.

You might get along great so you say, but this city has a huge problem with race. there is segregation and it seems like everyone sticks to thereown clique. I am pretty sure those of you who are disputing my opinion have done this to other posters who said the exact same thing about what i am trying to point out.
It seems like if you go to a certain event it will practically be too black or too white. No middle ground, even with other ethnic backgrounds and the Baltimore area is one of the first places in which I have seen this travesty.

Last edited by prinessdanika99; 06-19-2011 at 05:13 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Baltimore