Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Baltimore
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-29-2011, 07:00 PM

158 posts, read 395,512 times

Advertisements

I have to head to the Dept. of Buildings tomorrow morning to file a Use and Occupancy Permit application for a building I don't even own yet! But my bank, and my loan program, need "proof" that I'm going to renovate the building down from 5 units to 4 units before I can close on the building. (We have a contract signed with a licensed contractor to do this for us after close.)

Has anyone been to 417 E. Fayette before to apply for a U and O permit? Do I just submit my permit and pay the fee and then down the line, they give me a receipt, and then after the work is done, schedule the inspection to actually receive said permit?

(I did call today and confirmed you can submit a U and O permit application before the work begins, or during the work - - but you need to schedule that inspection before 6 mos. b/c that's how long the permit application is good for...)

Any insight would be appreciated... I can't even find the hours of the permit office on the Baltimore City website!!! Do they take personal checks and/or credit cards for the fees? I would love to avoid multiple trips to this likely dastardly place....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-30-2011, 05:05 AM

1,758 posts, read 5,136,194 times
Pretty much yeah. Most of the permit offices are the same. You typically get the occupancy cert after all the other inspections and final inspection.

Old 06-30-2011, 07:39 AM

54 posts, read 139,249 times
We will have to do the same for one of our existing buildings soon, please let us know how it goes - I've heard both good stories and bad about that "One Stop Permit Shop"...

Old 06-30-2011, 10:35 AM

158 posts, read 395,512 times
Well - - surprise!!! It was actually very much "one stop!" Now granted, my permit application was simple b/c it didn't involve any plans or anything... But I waited in line for maybe 4 minutes, then was shuffled from one desk to the next to the cashier and out the door. Things might get confusing when I have to schedule my "housing" and "building" inspections (two separate inspections for one simple permit!) - - but more on that when I actually schedule the inspections.

As an FYI - - they take personal checks and credit cards, but apparently with some bank credit cards you have to pay an extra fee - PNC is one of those checkcards. Hours are 8:30-4:30, except you need to get there before 3:30pm, b/c they won't issue wait tickets after 3:30pm (I guess those employees just have to be out the door at 4:30 on the dot, you know??).

Anyway - apply for the permit was a painless experience! (The one painless experience of my whole home buying process...)

Old 07-01-2011, 07:17 PM

54 posts, read 139,249 times
Thanks!! that's good to know!

Old 07-12-2011, 08:14 AM
(-)

690 posts, read 1,865,182 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sl0622 View Post
Well - - surprise!!! It was actually very much "one stop!" Now granted, my permit application was simple b/c it didn't involve any plans or anything... But I waited in line for maybe 4 minutes, then was shuffled from one desk to the next to the cashier and out the door. Things might get confusing when I have to schedule my "housing" and "building" inspections (two separate inspections for one simple permit!) - - but more on that when I actually schedule the inspections.

As an FYI - - they take personal checks and credit cards, but apparently with some bank credit cards you have to pay an extra fee - PNC is one of those checkcards. Hours are 8:30-4:30, except you need to get there before 3:30pm, b/c they won't issue wait tickets after 3:30pm (I guess those employees just have to be out the door at 4:30 on the dot, you know??).

Anyway - apply for the permit was a painless experience! (The one painless experience of my whole home buying process...)
one thing i've noticed about this city is when it comes to collecting money from citizens/investors they are extremely efficient!

Old 11-02-2016, 02:02 PM

3 posts, read 10,391 times
I have never had an occupancy permit on this rental property I bought about 10 years ago.Now I received a citation and was informed that I have been renting out this property all this time .I have a good tenant in the house and never know that the house needed a occupancy permit .
What shall I do ?

Old 11-02-2016, 02:59 PM

45,323 posts, read 60,500,026 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kiflu shimiles View Post
I have never had an occupancy permit on this rental property I bought about 10 years ago.Now I received a citation and was informed that I have been renting out this property all this time .I have a good tenant in the house and never know that the house needed a occupancy permit .
What shall I do ?
Get the permit/license.

It may involve an inspection for livability. Working plumbing, heat, lead abated, stuff like that.

If you don't you'll be cited, have to go to Court. Fines can vary but municipal information fines, which this likely is, can top out at $1000. A day. For every day you're in violation.

Old 11-02-2016, 06:22 PM

3 posts, read 10,391 times
I was hoping if there is someone with a deep insight regarding an Occupancy permit - on how to avoid this kind of harsh fine .
A house that has a mortgage on it and always rented should never be considered to start with and we have never recieved any notice .
Any legal defense ?

Old 11-02-2016, 06:31 PM

45,323 posts, read 60,500,026 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kiflu shimiles View Post
I was hoping if there is someone with a deep insight regarding an Occupancy permit - on how to avoid this kind of harsh fine .
A house that has a mortgage on it and always rented should never be considered to start with and we have never recieved any notice .
Any legal defense ?
Why shouldn't it be considered? It's a rental property, non-owner occupied dwelling. A business. Having a mortgage has nothing to do with it.

You didn't receive a notice because you didn't apply for a rental license in the first place. Is it listed as owner occupied on the Maryland State Department of Assessments and Taxation website (that can be another fine. The State considers listing a rental dwelling as owner occupied fraud)?

If it was new construction a Use and Occupancy permit is required to move in, it verifies that the construction passed all pertinent inspections for construction. Was that done?

How do you avoid the fines? Become compliant.

I'm not sorry if my "insight" isn't what you want to hear, which is what I think you wanted.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Baltimore
View detailed profiles of: