Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Baltimore
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-12-2011, 04:40 AM

1,081 posts, read 2,266,949 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYMTman View Post
Yea but Baltimore has way, way more crime than the average city. There are entire blocks in Baltimore abandoned and boarded up.
I take it you've never been to Cleveland?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-12-2011, 04:41 AM

1,081 posts, read 2,266,949 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AirDavon1 View Post
nyc?
You mean $1500 per month/share a bathroom, roach infested dumps NYC? New York sucks.

Old 07-12-2011, 06:59 PM

251 posts, read 721,486 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NCOriolesfan View Post
You mean $1500 per month/share a bathroom, roach infested dumps NYC? New York sucks.
NYC isn't that bad. You can find many affordable places that are in areas, especially if you look for apartments near colleges. I'd say that the cost of housing is much more reasonable than Baltimore if you consider the easy access to public transportation, so you don't even need to bring a car and worry about parking.

Old 07-13-2011, 09:40 AM

14,798 posts, read 17,676,840 times
Quote:
Sorry, did't mean to jump off on you.
Those three cities have some serious crime issues.
Cleveland is pretty cheap to live, but the wages will reflect that and the weather is bad.
Chicago has high crime, high taxes, very hot summers, cold ass winters, and Rom Emanuel.
Atlanta, with the exception of it's skyline, sucks.

Chicago has average crime. Philly is much worse. Plus, bad crime is really concentrated in certain areas. Taxes in IL are probably lower than MD, though I'm not certain.

I agree about Atlanta sucking though!

Old 07-14-2011, 01:15 AM

1,153 posts, read 4,557,726 times
Quote:
I take it you've never been to Cleveland?
I said Baltimore has way, way more crime than the average city, which is statistically correct. I did not say that Baltimore has the most crime of any city, nor did I say it was the most blighted. It is up there however.

Old 07-15-2011, 04:18 AM

5,724 posts, read 7,480,512 times
How is Inner Harbor?

Old 08-07-2011, 08:14 AM

15 posts, read 20,024 times
its ok but on major holidays or concerts (4th of July etc) it can be brutal because of the mix of peolple being there at the same time

Old 08-07-2011, 03:27 PM

3,765 posts, read 4,100,265 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sl0622 View Post
I vote Austin, Texas! Although - it's not super city-ish. It's more suburban-ish feeling to me - - but still has a cute downtown and some taller buildings. But good weather, young, hip, lots of culture.

My other vote would be for Portland! It's my FAVORITE city. Fair weather (i.e., there aren't extremes), but tends to be overcast (similar to Seattle). Lots going on... Job market can be tough though - - lots of young homeless people that make the pilgrimage there and then can't find a job... So there are lots of very educated people working at Baja Fresh, Starbucks, etc., and there are like homeless camps - small communities of young people living in parks, etc.

My third suggestion would be Philadelphia... But the crime is similar to Baltimore so maybe not.

I've heard Nashville is fun....

Good luck! I envy folks that can just pick up and head out to a new city!

I've heard so many wonderful things about Portland, Oregon (clean, green, educated citizens, great vibes, etc.), but I've never been there. So there are camps of homeless people in city parks?? You mean just like a third world country with a rotten economy? Thanks for enlightening me; it sounds like a great place to stay away from. As a matter of fact, I'd rather vacation in the ghettoes of Detroit in the winter than go to Portland in the summer.

Old 08-07-2011, 03:30 PM

3,765 posts, read 4,100,265 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by davecj View Post
Am I the only one that read this and thought why on earth would you want to move there then? Is it hipster cool to be homeless now?

No, I read it also and agree with you completely. Young agressive panhandlers are a big problem in US cities, particularly Baltimore.

Old 08-07-2011, 07:12 PM

8,357 posts, read 25,233,983 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYMTman View Post
Portland, Denver, Minneapolis.
I've spent ten years in Minneapolis by-way-of California. I loved the weather, it was actually one of the reasons I moved there, but it is not for everyone. Most people will think it is a little too cold, yet, the real harsh winter comes in the summer time when it gets humid as heck. But yeah, I'd suggest Minneapolis to anyone who has the cojones to stick through a winter. The winter carnival alone is worth it.

I would shy away from Portland, though, unless you it is Portland, ME. Portland, OR. is not that great of a place. And, it will be hard to find a job there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by james777 View Post
I've heard so many wonderful things about Portland, Oregon (clean, green, educated citizens, great vibes, etc.), but I've never been there. So there are camps of homeless people in city parks?? You mean just like a third world country with a rotten economy? Thanks for enlightening me; it sounds like a great place to stay away from. As a matter of fact, I'd rather vacation in the ghettoes of Detroit in the winter than go to Portland in the summer.
Yes, there are many homeless who camp in parks. But it is not like they camp in every park, usually a few that have been "designated" e.g., they know the cops won't hassle them for sleeping there.

It is also not like a tent city. For the most part, the parks look like normal parks during the day, then, late in the evening, they come out to set up camp.

But what ever, stay away if you like.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Baltimore