Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Baltimore
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-26-2011, 02:53 PM

12 posts, read 29,002 times

Advertisements

Hey guys, posted awhile ago asking for suggestions of areas around Baltimore that would work well with my family and I. After driving around for a few days we have decided to look further outside of the surrounding area of Baltimore (up to about an hour commute) for price reasons.

The areas we are currently looking at are:

Westminster Area
Shrewsbury/New Freedom PA Area
Perryville/North East Area

They are all roughly the same distance via MapQuest but they all take completely different routes into Baltimore. Hearing things like "Baltimore has some of the worst traffic in the country" makes me think that these areas might differ greatly for commuting purposes.

I will be working all over Baltimore City and not in one particular area but I guess downtown Baltimore would be the best place to use as a destination. My work shift would be from 8:30 to 4:30 pm with a rotating schedule to 4:30 to 12:30pm the other half of the month.

How do the commuting conditions for these areas differ? If they do differ that is. Any help would be greatly appreciated!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-26-2011, 05:24 PM

388 posts, read 848,844 times
With 95 being the only one I have driven, I can say that the commute from there is ridiculous, especially with all of the construction going on the now.

I can imagine your best bet would be Westminster since you would be mostly not be on highways. I think out of the three of them, Westminster has the nicest vibe to it. I also don't think of Westminster as having a lot of commuters, but once you get in towards owings mill on the highway itll back up.

PA would be a lot better for you if you are looking for something cheaper. The overall cost of living and housing market is better in PA, though I am not sure of that exact area. You would have to contend with 83 on your drives in, which would start backing up as soon as you got to timonium or Towson.

Either way you look though, just because it shows an hour on map quest, it'll be well over that once you hit the traffic of the northern suburbs. But for my opinion the easiest commute would be Westminster.

Old 07-27-2011, 09:08 AM

187 posts, read 363,809 times
PA is probably the worst option since not only is there a mass exodus in/out everyday, there aren't any real backroads heading straight north. While Cecil County might open up the option of back-road alternatives to 95, these will definitely add up in terms of time. Also, the East side of 695/City is always chaotic and more dense than the west side. I commuted from Westminster a few years back and while 140 starts getting dense pretty early, there are numerous options in terms of country roads that head straight to the city, e.g., you could take Greenspring right to I-83S below the beltway and avoid that entirely. Of course, getting downtown from there will be the same mess regardless of which direction you arrive from.

Old 07-27-2011, 02:58 PM

12 posts, read 29,002 times
Thanks guys, yea I have heard nightmare stories of the 95 commute and from what we are looking at Westminster looks real nice as well. While you can get more house in PA, the taxes are generally a lot less, from what we have seen, in Westminster.

Thanks a lot for the advice, going to go take a look at that area in person soon. Much appreciated!

Old 07-27-2011, 07:28 PM

1,758 posts, read 5,136,785 times
I would generally try to avoid anything that would have me taking 83 everyday or most of 695. The drive on 295 into the city seems to be the least worst of what is available.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Baltimore