Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Baltimore
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-05-2011, 08:56 AM

759 posts, read 1,356,274 times

Advertisements

Spent plenty of time in North Baltimore. The neighborhoods you mention are all wholly contiguous and overlapping. According to the liveBaltimore website they comprise fewer than 2000 homes, hardly significant in a city of c. 700,000. But I will re-state: There is A single small concentration of wealth in Baltimore city.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-05-2011, 11:10 AM

1,175 posts, read 2,899,371 times
Locust Point, Federal Hill, Otterbein, Canton, Fells Point, Harbor East, Butchers Hill, Mt. Vernon, Bolton Hill, I guess there is no money in those places either?

Old 08-05-2011, 12:11 PM

388 posts, read 848,844 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by B.K. View Post
Spent plenty of time in North Baltimore. The neighborhoods you mention are all wholly contiguous and overlapping. According to the liveBaltimore website they comprise fewer than 2000 homes, hardly significant in a city of c. 700,000. But I will re-state: There is A single small concentration of wealth in Baltimore city.
I'd really have to agree with lynch there...quite a bit of wealth in those areas he mentioned. On the other hand, I think you might have been speaking a bit more broadly as to Baltimore only having a small section of its city being wealthy, I would agree that the wealth is concentrated more into a smaller area than you might find in simiar sized cities. At any rate, as lynch said, North Baltimore is not the only wealthy area of Baltimore.

Old 08-05-2011, 12:33 PM

4,649 posts, read 4,970,942 times
Baltimore is the new Brooklyn:

‪JC Brooks & the Uptown Sound "Baltimore Is the New Brooklyn" on Chic-a-Go-Go!‬‏ - YouTube

Old 08-05-2011, 03:01 PM

158 posts, read 395,555 times
Default !!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by tribecavsbrowns View Post

HAHAHAHAH

This is AMAZING.... Thanks for posting... hahahah

(I love the dude in the shorts and leggings. He's my favorite dancer.)

Old 08-06-2011, 11:25 AM

Zip code 21230: All of Otterbein, Federal Hill, and Locust Point-Adjusted gross income: $49, 188. More than $11,000 less than state average of $60,339, 20.1% received EIC, indicative of earning less than $25K/year. Zip code 21231: All of Butcher's Hill and Fell's Point-Adjusted gross income $45,350. Nearly $15,000 lower than state average of $60,339, 21.3% received EIC. Zip code 21224: Canton- Adjusted gross income: $40,454. Nearly $20,000 less than state average, 22.4% received EIC. Zip code 21202: includes the euphemistically-named "Harbor East" (I guess it sounds better than "Flag House Courts" and/or "Perkins Homes"), and Mt. Vernon- Adjusted gross income $38,263, more than $22,000 less than state average, and nearly 1/3 of residents (32.1%) received EIC. Zip code 21217: Bolton Hill/Reservoir Hill/Mt. Royal/MICA-Adjusted gross income $28,096, more than $32,000 less than state average, and 46% of residents received EIC. These are all pre-recession figures, so I would wager incomes have gone down, not up. Where did I come up with these numbers? Why from the site you're on now, Baltimore city-data.com. If sub-state average income levels are indicative of concentrations of wealth, then we must have very different definitions of "wealth."

Old 08-06-2011, 12:00 PM

Quote:
Zip code 21230: All of Otterbein, Federal Hill, and Locust Point-Adjusted gross income: $49, 188. More than $11,000 less than state average of $60,339, 20.1% received EIC, indicative of earning less than $25K/year. Zip code 21231: All of Butcher's Hill and Fell's Point-Adjusted gross income $45,350. Nearly $15,000 lower than state average of $60,339, 21.3% received EIC. Zip code 21224: Canton- Adjusted gross income: $40,454. Nearly $20,000 less than state average, 22.4% received EIC. Zip code 21202: includes the euphemistically-named "Harbor East" (I guess it sounds better than "Flag House Courts" and/or "Perkins Homes"), and Mt. Vernon- Adjusted gross income $38,263, more than $22,000 less than state average, and nearly 1/3 of residents (32.1%) received EIC. Zip code 21217: Bolton Hill/Reservoir Hill/Mt. Royal/MICA-Adjusted gross income $28,096, more than $32,000 less than state average, and 46% of residents received EIC. These are all pre-recession figures, so I would wager incomes have gone down, not up. Where did I come up with these numbers? Why from the site you're on now, Baltimore city-data.com. If sub-state average income levels are indicative of concentrations of wealth, then we must have very different definitions of "wealth."
One thing you forgot. Since we were contrasting our opinion against yours of Northern Bmore, I would think you wouold add those numbers in as well?? Or did the numbers not quite go the way you wanted to?

If I had to venture a guess, the areas you were talking about in North Baltimore with the small pocket of wealth had similar numbers to the areas we mentioned. The money of the state is not in Baltimore, its around DC. Its like saying the wealth in Buffalo, NY is well below the state average...well no crap when the state includes NYC.

Old 08-06-2011, 01:01 PM

[quote=jifie;20343275]One thing you forgot. Since we were contrasting our opinion against yours of Northern Bmore, I would think you wouold add those numbers in as well?? Or did the numbers not quite go the way you wanted to?

Madam, if you had taken the time to actually read my posts you would have seen that I said there were no large concentrations of wealthy areas. I did say that there was a small concentration of wealth in neighborhoods in zip codes 21210, 21212, and 21218-fewer than 2,000 homes all told. You further would have noticed I was responding to a poster's reply about concentrations of wealth in "downtown" neighborhoods, a contention that simply doesn't hold up. Sometimes the truth hurts.

Old 08-06-2011, 01:27 PM

Quote:
Madam, if you had taken the time to actually read my posts you would have seen that I said there were no large concentrations of wealthy areas. I did say that there was a small concentration of wealth in neighborhoods in zip codes 21210, 21212, and 21218-fewer than 2,000 homes all told. You further would have noticed I was responding to a poster's reply about concentrations of wealth in "downtown" neighborhoods, a contention that simply doesn't hold up. Sometimes the truth hurts.

All right, lady, I see that you still dont understand, so I will see if I can break it down for you even more...you say those zip codes have a small concentration of wealth, ok, I understand that.

You also say that the areas Klynch mentioned do not have a small concentration of wealth, ok, I understand that as well.

You then try and prove your point of the areas that Klynch mentioned not having a small concentration of by pulling up stats of the areas he mentioned against stats from the entire state.

I wasnt contrasting those areas of Bmore with the enitre state of MD, I was contrasting them with the zip codes you mentioned that, as you say, have a small concentration of wealth. So instead of bringing up contrasting statistics between the areas I am saying also have a small concentration of wealth and the areas you say have a small concentration of wealth to make a valid comparison, you post a random set of numbers that does nothing to debate the "contention that simply doesnt hold up" about there being concentrations of wealth in downtown as well.

If this is a foreign line of thought to you, then there is nothing more I can do to help.

Old 08-06-2011, 11:58 PM

1,161 posts, read 2,447,207 times
If you add up all the housing units in the following North Baltimore neighborhoods: Guilford, Roland Park, North Roland Park, Poplar Hill, Orchards, Chatham, Tuscany Canterbury, Homeland, Guilford and Mount Washington, you will get quite a bit more than 2,000 units. Roland Park alone has about 1,000 residences.

Baltimore is not a wealthy city and the metropolitan region only has a small concentration of wealth, although it still has a sizeable upper middle class in both the city and the suburbs. This is typical for most American cities and outside New York only several cities in California, Florida, Texas and Chicago can lay claim to having large concentrations of wealth (if by which you mean genuinely rich as opposed prosperous upper middle class). But if you were talking about comfortable 6-figure income households, Baltimore City has its own share of this demographic group and it's larger than many of you may expect.

[quote=B.K.;20343984]
Quote:
Originally Posted by jifie View Post
One thing you forgot. Since we were contrasting our opinion against yours of Northern Bmore, I would think you wouold add those numbers in as well?? Or did the numbers not quite go the way you wanted to?

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Baltimore