Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Baltimore
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-04-2011, 01:50 PM

5 posts, read 9,069 times

Advertisements

my husband and i will be buying a home in baltimore county in 2 years, will be studying at john hopkins university and he will be working downtown, our son will be 5 by that time and will be starting kindergarten, our main concern will be good school for our son, i went to private schools , but we cant afford that for our son, and safe neighborhood as my husband travels for business, and good space at least 2000 sq ft my questions are,

which baltimore county suburb do you think is up and coming?
which particular area has good schools?
we plan on staying for 10 years so of course should be a good investment.

we know ellicott city or columbia in howard county are some of the best areas especially for school and safety, but we are convinced even as much saving as we are doing we wouldnt be able to afford that area in 2 years...

we are looking to spend up to 460,000 and would put down up to 80,000 to 90,000 on a down payment.

any areas that are up to 30 minutes from baltimore city is fine , we didnt chose baltimore city because we prefer the suburbs and schooling is important and well frankly we dont think we'll get the space we need for the pricewe'll be willing to spend.

so up and coming neighborhoods are mostly what we are looking at.

any help will be appreciated. we have a friend who recieved advice on here 1 year prior to moving and it was right on point, she is out of state but in a fabulous neighborhood that was up and coming and now is one of the more sought after neighborhood , hope we have the same luck,...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-04-2011, 02:28 PM

13,371 posts, read 27,044,128 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by msprestige View Post
so up and coming neighborhoods are mostly what we are looking at.
Could you define "up and coming"? It seems to mean that you expect that the the house values will appreciate because it becomes more desirable. I think one would need a crystal ball to predict that, and the economy is very unpredictable right now.

I only have personal knowledge of Catonsville, and the high school has a good reputation. I think it is desirable because it's convenient to both Columbia and downtown Baltimore.

Old 08-04-2011, 02:30 PM

1,757 posts, read 5,138,453 times
At your price range you could very well just pick a place on a map and be able to afford something nice I would say about 80% of the time.

Old 08-04-2011, 02:41 PM

@goldenage1 i have definitely thought of catonsville but i have been hearing mixed reviews.

@davecj would that include newer homes, we are not interested in older homes , we are definitely the kind of buyers who are into granite countertops ,stainless steel appliances etc,...
and in which areas on the map

Old 08-04-2011, 04:04 PM

13,371 posts, read 27,044,128 times
[quote=msprestige;20318360 we are not interested in older homes , we are definitely the kind of buyers who are into granite countertops ,stainless steel appliances etc,...
[/QUOTE]

That's a lot more helpful. Possibly Perry Hall, Whitemarsh, Bel Air and Fallston would fit your needs. Your price range turns up many new homes, and Perry Hall and Fallston get good rating at Greatschools.

Old 08-04-2011, 04:19 PM

251 posts, read 721,790 times
I'm no real estate agent, but I don't think Baltimore county has too many houses above $460k regardless of age. Certainly not if you only need 2000 sq ft. I too would recommend Catonsville, or Owings Mills, but you can pretty much pick your school and not have to worry about price. The only issue is that you want a place that will be a good investment based on nearby development.

Old 08-04-2011, 07:27 PM

1,757 posts, read 5,138,453 times
Unless your plan is to buy something cheap and hedge that it will be worth significantly more in the next few years, you could just purchase in an established community for a safer investment.

Many older homes have been renovated and have all the nice features you're looking for in family oriented neighborhoods especially since competition amongst sellers has increased. Your price range would get you a very nice 3-4 bed, 2-3 bath home with some yardage in most communities in Baltimore County.

Old 08-05-2011, 12:57 PM

thank you very much everyone

@davecj that is exactly what am looking for, something in a planned community with 4 bed 2-3 bath and some yard

Old 08-05-2011, 01:04 PM

1,175 posts, read 2,900,855 times
I agree with Dave, I think New construction is the opposite of "Up and Coming" these days because they have to do whatever it takes to sell the final units, which means immediate loss in your property value.

There are many stable nice communities in North Baltimore County that have been nice for a long time, and there values are very stable and solid. They are quite charming when they are redone, for my money, nothing new compares.

Old 08-05-2011, 01:36 PM

@klynch10 which of those communities in north baltimore county would you recommend
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Baltimore