Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Baltimore
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-13-2011, 03:42 PM

3 posts, read 9,245 times

Advertisements

Dear All,

I am moving to Baltimore, am female, british and 29, any ideas where i should live. My only proviso is that Right wing christian funadmentalist and Republicans scare me. I would also like to be in the City rather than the county, thanks

Any ideas?

British Girl
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-13-2011, 03:54 PM

34,088 posts, read 82,920,234 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by britishgirl29 View Post
Any ideas?
In close, or at least reasonable, proximity to your work.
btw... What would that be?

Old 09-13-2011, 04:34 PM

6,998 posts, read 11,293,992 times
Quote:
Dear All,

I am moving to Baltimore, am female, british and 29, any ideas where i should live. My only proviso is that Right wing christian funadmentalist and Republicans scare me. I would also like to be in the City rather than the county, thanks

Any ideas?

British Girl
BOO! Did you jump?

WSB
Registered Republican

Old 09-13-2011, 05:19 PM

4,383 posts, read 16,759,177 times
I take it the media in Britain paints republicans as extremists (far from the truth)? In any circumstance, there are not many republicans in urban areas of the United States.

Old 09-13-2011, 11:24 PM

1,161 posts, read 2,446,723 times
One would hope that moving to a new country would lead to new experiences and mind-broadening viewpoints.

I'd suggest you put down the Guardian and the Independent and not be so scared about some of the people you might meet in the US. It may surprise you that Republicans are quite nice people who live nice, quiet lives and are little different from Democrats, who are nice people who live nice, quiet lives.

But the good news for you is that it's easy to avoid Republicans in Baltimore. The voter registration is heavily lopsided in the Democratic party's favor. The one downside for you is that the Democrats in Baltimore tend to be fairly religious.

Good luck with the move.

(Word of warning: be on your guard. You'll never know if that nice couple next door are actually secret Republicans until it's too late. Just be careful of unexpected invitations to cocktails or a Saturday afternoon barbecue otherwise
the next thing you'll remember is waking up tied and gagged in a van and being secreted to a Republican/Right wing/Fundamentalist re-educating center. After all, where do you think Republicans get their new recruits from?)

Quote:
Dear All,

Any ideas?

British Girl

Old 09-13-2011, 11:28 PM

19 posts, read 30,703 times
You'll love it. It's just like The Wire everywhere you go.

Have fun!

Old 09-14-2011, 05:20 AM

3 posts, read 9,245 times
Dear All,

I should have been clearer, I am back in the UK having spent 15 months working in Kentucky, Georgia and South Carolina, and I was invited for BBQ and Dinner, but it always ended in tears.....I do not think that being poor is something to be ashamed of, and that health care should be free. I do not believe that every word of the bible is true either. So I do not wish to be inadvertently offensive to my new neighbours.

You are right that I do wish to broaden my horizons and as I have a Muslim father and Jewish Mother I am aware that I have to be careful in the areas that I live. I was in Kentucky in 2010 for 9 months and it was tough to be not truthful with people who extended their hospitality to me, whilst knowing if they knew my father went to a Mosque I would not be welcome or my mother was a "Jewess" (I have not heard that word used by anyone other than in Films about Nazi germany, yet in Kentucky it was part of the Vocabulary).

But I stand by my original statement, I am sadly white and middle class London Girl who grew up with tonnes of diversity in my life, and I would like to find a diverse area to live in. I grew up in Brixton, I would like the same feel. I am scared by the Westbro Baptist Church lot and my grandmother is religious but is not a lunatic.

As for where I am working, I am working for some large Corportations providing IT solutions, and three of the comapanies are in Baltimore, two are in NY and one in Boston. So Baltimore seemed like and option.

As for Republicans, well I don't do Tories either (our equivilant). So from the comments so far, once I have recovered from being scared by Westside Boy, I need to find an area full of heathans! So any ideas ?

Old 09-14-2011, 06:04 AM

1,161 posts, read 2,446,723 times
My daughter lives in London and is married to a bright young man whose father is a former Tory MP, so you may want to take what I say with a grain of salt...

You will be fine in Baltimore or Boston or New York. It's all about finding a community you feel comfortable in. Mount Vernon, Bolton Hill, Charles Village and Hampden are older Baltimore neighborhood popular with young hipsters and artists and people who like to go to the farmers markets on the weekends. The waterfront neighborhoods of Canton and Federal Hill are a bit more professional but you'll be fine too.

Baltimore is not rural Georgia or Kentucky. It's about as far removed from the deep South as Brixton and Tottenham are from Tunbridge Wells, albeit in a different way.

Old 09-14-2011, 08:08 AM

34,088 posts, read 82,920,234 times
Quote:
As for where I am working, I am working for some large Corporatations...
Perhaps I wasn't clear enough. There are a LOT of area's in the region where a 29yo SWF will be just fine...
and with virtually no risk of them being overrun by the roaming hoards of rabid Conservatives.

That leaves the other aspects of your life as the determining factors
for which of the compass points or even specific neighborhoods to choose among.

Work being #1 on that list of other factors....
most people find that being near the actual physical location of the job,
which will tend to help them avoid wasted hours commuting, is a GoodThing.
Perhaps you will agree?

Quote:
So any ideas ?
Not enough information provided to be even marginally specific.

Regarding the out of town assignments...
If that requires travel on any sort of regular basis then you should include the train station
or airport in the overlapping Venn diagram you're making (you *are* doing this, right?)...
to further narrow down the area's to choose among.

hth

Last edited by MrRational; 09-14-2011 at 09:19 AM..

Old 09-14-2011, 09:42 AM

1,175 posts, read 2,898,980 times
Live in Federal Hill, Canton or Fells Point..... safe, fun, young and full of pubs, singles and activities. There are many "Football" Bars if you are a soccer fan too.

Baltimore is also the type of city where talking Politics is considered rude if your are not amongst your closest friends, so I wouldn't worry much about politics. Many young people in Baltimore are pretty middle of the line on the surface.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Baltimore