Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Baltimore
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-12-2012, 10:55 AM

781 posts, read 1,196,427 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger Beer View Post
That must also be dependent on the future state accepting them?

I use to regularly follow the Las Vegas forum, and it seemed a week wouldn't go by without a couple of section 8 types wanting to move out there with their section 8.

Regular theme if the board strongly discouraging and always mentioned they'd be on a 5-year waiting list and have to register again. That being said, I can see other states just potentially taking them in, although I'd hope not. Florida seems like a place that might though.
Portability is a wonderful feature of the Housing Choice Voucher, but, as others have mentioned, the housing authority in the new county, city, or state, must 'accept' the voucher holder, and, go through all of the required paperwork. Most housing authorities are poorly managed, and, their staff are taxed. Further, many housing authorities do not have up-to-date Section 8 listings either online or in paper, and provide little to no mobility counseling, meaning, voucher holders are constrained to find housing in new areas with little resources. On average, voucher holders have 60-90 days to find a new home and complete the entire lease up process, including the finalization of the rental contract and inspection, which, leaves little wiggle room and usually prohibits the individual from moving out of the area. There's also more incentives for housing authorities to retain their voucher holders in their area, less incentive for portability...

I don't have time to review the entire thread but another issue driving the problem is the fair market rent calculation. Landlords are also allowed to deny / not accept HCV holders in most cities and states--Massachusetts and certain counties in MD prohibit discrimination based upon form of payment. Although, there's always ways to get around it, unfortunately.

From the research I've conducted in this city, most of the S8 housing is concentrated in high-poverty, crime-ridden areas, not palatial neighborhoods as many may assume. Further, landlords often game the inspection system, and keep the homes incredibly poor condition, exposing young children to lead, mold, vermin, etc. The entire inspection system / landlord selection needs an entire overhaul, but, that's another story for another day.

And, to the last post, Section 8 is a 'market-driven' program--less government involvement and intervention as compared to public housing or mixed income development--it's left to the forces of the market. Not always the best method, endless pages of comments attest to that... Hence, abolishing HUD, oy, or its housing programs is not going to be the panacea, the easy fix.

Last edited by MobileVisitor09; 05-12-2012 at 11:03 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-12-2012, 06:25 PM

18,630 posts, read 19,418,524 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MobileVisitor09 View Post
Portability is a wonderful feature of the Housing Choice Voucher, but, as others have mentioned, the housing authority in the new county, city, or state, must 'accept' the voucher holder, and, go through all of the required paperwork. Most housing authorities are poorly managed, and, their staff are taxed. Further, many housing authorities do not have up-to-date Section 8 listings either online or in paper, and provide little to no mobility counseling, meaning, voucher holders are constrained to find housing in new areas with little resources. On average, voucher holders have 60-90 days to find a new home and complete the entire lease up process, including the finalization of the rental contract and inspection, which, leaves little wiggle room and usually prohibits the individual from moving out of the area. There's also more incentives for housing authorities to retain their voucher holders in their area, less incentive for portability...

I don't have time to review the entire thread but another issue driving the problem is the fair market rent calculation. Landlords are also allowed to deny / not accept HCV holders in most cities and states--Massachusetts and certain counties in MD prohibit discrimination based upon form of payment. Although, there's always ways to get around it, unfortunately.

From the research I've conducted in this city, most of the S8 housing is concentrated in high-poverty, crime-ridden areas, not palatial neighborhoods as many may assume. Further, landlords often game the inspection system, and keep the homes incredibly poor condition, exposing young children to lead, mold, vermin, etc. The entire inspection system / landlord selection needs an entire overhaul, but, that's another story for another day.

And, to the last post, Section 8 is a 'market-driven' program--less government involvement and intervention as compared to public housing or mixed income development--it's left to the forces of the market. Not always the best method, endless pages of comments attest to that... Hence, abolishing HUD, oy, or its housing programs is not going to be the panacea, the easy fix.
It's this last part why the GOP was on board with the program in the first place. It's not market driven but market distorting. It stimulates demand pushing rents higher for those of similar incomes or slightly higher who do not have vouchers.

If abolished, landlords of marginal properties would see the demand of their properties plummet to a point that even the poorest would be able to afford them. These properties may not be the best but they serve a need.

Old 05-13-2012, 10:33 AM

342 posts, read 912,709 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pnello View Post
A realtor friend of mine was talking about secton 8 being a good deal for the landlord, a good deal for the tenant participating in the program and a bad deal for regular renters competing for similar size and price units.

He says that it artificially keeps the rents of low to average quality housing high due to the government subsidy and pushes renters who would qualify based on credit and income into higher priced units due to competition for the lower priced ones.

He says this is prime driver behind high rents in Baltimore and Howard County. I disagree with Howard County, not sure about Baltimore

What are your thoughts on this ?
Baltimore's rent has always been to high in my opinion, you pay 2,000 a month in rent for a property that may only be worth 200k depending on the neighborhood. Baltimore is a buyers market if your renting your getting screwed.

Old 05-13-2012, 01:16 PM

759 posts, read 1,357,226 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmorefella View Post
Baltimore's rent has always been to high in my opinion, you pay 2,000 a month in rent for a property that may only be worth 200k depending on the neighborhood. Baltimore is a buyers market if your renting your getting screwed.
Actually, in the past I always found Baltimore to be dirt cheap to rent in. It's only been since the recession and the housing slump began that rents have skyrocketed. Right now, either nobody can afford to buy, or is uncertain about the possible continued devaluation of the market and chooses to ride it out by renting. Thus the city truly has become a landlord's market.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Baltimore