U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Baltimore
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-19-2008, 06:07 AM

43 posts, read 162,592 times

Advertisements

Unfortunately, Mr. Red Sox Fan lived in Fed Hill- which (sorry if I offend anyone here but...) is Frat Boy Central butting up against inner city poverty. I would hate to live down there too. If you're into the bar scene and you're young (it's swarming w/post college grad 20-somethings), that's where you live. If you want peace and quiet and not be prone to the drugs/trash etc... move to the northern end of the city like Wyman or Mt. Washington or even parts of Hampden. This city is a work in progress- unfortunately we have had years of neglect to repair and have only recently begun experiencing the benefits of new resident/tax payers who are aiding in returning the city back to its former glory. Technically, this city is young in its new stages of development- people want to just complain complain complain but not look at the progress that's been made so far. There's no investment. There's no- 'what can I do?' It's only- what can this city give me? I have high hopes for Baltimore and I feel that my experiences here have been great because I've taken the time to develop community, make a lot of friends, LIVE here and find my place. It took time to make this happen- and that can be said about any city. There are half empty and half full people in this world- I choose half full. Call it rose-colored glasses, whatever- it's a much better way to walk through this life than 'this sucks- there's nothing good here...'

Last edited by iknowbaltimore; 02-19-2008 at 06:49 AM..
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-19-2008, 08:06 AM

1,904 posts, read 3,687,404 times
My glass is always half-full and the 'water' tastes so much better now that I'm out of Baltimore.

I lived in Federal Hill so I made comments on Federal Hill - what is so hard to understand about that?

Old 02-22-2008, 10:51 PM

2,236 posts, read 6,758,487 times
Those were some great pictures, I love them! However, what I would really love to see are Baltimore row houses. Baltimore has one of the best collections (if not the best) of rows in the country, and I've had a hard time finding some good shots. Is there a thread on here that you could direct me to or something?

Old 02-28-2008, 03:52 PM

4,180 posts, read 13,506,496 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ainulinale View Post
Those were some great pictures, I love them! However, what I would really love to see are Baltimore row houses. Baltimore has one of the best collections (if not the best) of rows in the country, and I've had a hard time finding some good shots. Is there a thread on here that you could direct me to or something?
Here are a few samples from various neighborhoods:
Patterson Park:

Butchers Hill:

Upper Fells Point:

Downtown:

Fells Point:

Canton:

Federal Hill:

Locust Point:

Mt. Vernon:

Charles Village:

another of Mt. Vernon:

Let me know if you would like to see more. I have a lot of other neighborhoods.

Old 03-03-2008, 03:07 PM
LFF

18 posts, read 111,298 times
Thanks for posting these photos!

Old 04-30-2008, 07:27 AM

156 posts, read 727,634 times
Absolutely gorgeous examples of Baltimore architecture. Thanks for posting.

Old 04-30-2008, 08:27 AM

171 posts, read 582,601 times
Smile Great photos!

Thank you.

Old 05-06-2008, 11:13 AM

12 posts, read 55,643 times
I lived just outside of Baltimore for three years and loved it. When I left, I couldn't wait to return. Well, I've returned and wished it was as inspiring as the skyline leads you to believe. "Believe," the motto of the city...well, I choose to Believe that the East side will repair itself one day from the destruction left by its residents. I must have been so naive to not see before what I see now in the city. Ignorance is bliss. I work in East Baltimore and as I make it to my car unscathed each afternoon, I quickly lock my doors and thank God! I see it filtering further downtown, close to the Harbor and trickling down passed the Hippodrome. Though I am willing to offer that Baltimore does have its better sides. If anyone has not been to Johns Hopkins University and the surrounding area near the Baltimore Museum of Art, I was quite blown away by this area of Charm City! It was gorgeous. My husband and I had lunch at a cute cafe and walked our dog in one of the few parks... it was a great day away from the burdens of the east side!!

Old 06-13-2008, 12:34 AM

2 posts, read 23,981 times
Default I miss it...

Although Baltimore does have its draw backs, and I have always said that I hated living in Maryland because of living so close to Baltimore, ( i was originally from Salisbury, MD; small town compared to B'more)now that I have moved away, to MAINE..... I completely miss it. Im not sure if its because of the city charm or if its cuz all my friends and family are there either way, i totally miss living in Baltimore. What is that saying... you dont know what your missing or have until its gone... thats what i feel like, i feel as if i totally overlooked what the city had to offer me, now more than ever since i have nothing to do out here in the middle of nowhere, where i have to drive over an hour to get to a wal mart super center (we have a regular wal mart here in town but it SUCKS big time!), the university, and over 2 hours to get to a halfway descent mall.... but all in all i moved away to have a better place to raise my kids and thats what i got less crime more small town livin...kind of like when i was growing up in Salisbury (and not like Salisbury is now; my has it grown!!!) I just wish there was at least a bar or a pool hall around... sigh but oh well thats what i get!

Old 06-13-2008, 07:57 PM

485 posts, read 1,838,260 times
These pictures bring back many fond memories.

Thanks to all!

Baltimore may indeed be on the verge of becoming a great city again, but this has happened before, and fallen flat.

Crime, corruption and the municipal motto of, "That's too much like right!" drive many people away.

A dysfunctional Police Department is no help, either.

New York made the turnaround, Baltimore is not beyond hope.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Baltimore