Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Baltimore
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-30-2011, 09:25 AM

87 posts, read 204,182 times

Advertisements

Hi, been checking out rentals in Baltimore city. a place Im interested in has a lease with a clause saying the landlord (LL) requires one of the two visitor permits that go with the rental (it is an area with restricted parking permits).

Since the clause is right there on the lease, it would seem it's something the BPA could note and deny if they wanted, but at least the intended use is not camouflaged. The LL claims their request is for the convenience of repair staff etc stopping in, despite being told that those folks could always ask for and get the permit from me in such a case. There is one off-street spot, and there would have been 2 visitor permits that went with the rental.

When they were asked on the phone, it seems that the BPA does not intend the visitor pass to ever be handed off like this, to anyone except the person holding the lease; but the LL claims prior renters have done so without any issues and that specific individuals spoken with at the BPA may have mistaken views on this.

Earlier i thought the LL was being slightly underhand but being that they put this provision in the lease I suppose this stipulation is out in the open 'legally'.

THe place is attractive. Don't know that leasing from this person is but since i do currently live in another state I do not know yet how irregular this sort of thing is. Other joys in the leadup to moving would be having to scuttle about getting a temp parking pass even before moving so I can park there to move in(when usually getting the mover to leave the stuff and review damages is usually the first objective, not to say headache) and getting a 65$ temp parking permit for the mover's truck to be able to pull up to unload.(this last is not upto the landlord, it's the baltimore authority's rule)

The LL supposedly lives in Fed Hill and prob just wants a pass for their own use, repairs or not. Perhaps that' s a perk of ownership vs renting?

Any experience with this sort of thing in the wider readership?
thanks very much,
w.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-30-2011, 10:04 AM

805 posts, read 2,116,093 times
I remember reading somewhere (maybe on the visitor's permit) that a landlord can't require a tenant to give them one. It seems kinda weird to me for using for repairs. How many repairs is the landlord going to be making? I think it's for them to use to park in the neighborhood for other things.

You probably shouldn't rent from this place if you are bothered by what the landlord is asking. It seems like you and the landlord are going to have problems.

Old 10-30-2011, 11:00 AM

34,090 posts, read 82,988,469 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whirledpease View Post
...despite being told that those folks could always ask for and get the permit from me in such a case.
Even on Ravens game days... with enough notice.

There is one off-street spot, and there would have been 2 visitor permits that went with the rental. .. The LL supposedly lives in Fed Hill and prob just wants a pass for their own use, repairs or not.
I say hold the line.
If you expect to have any sort of social or personal life then your guests will need a place to park.
Without that... what do you have?

hth

Last edited by MrRational; 10-30-2011 at 11:33 AM..

Old 10-30-2011, 11:41 AM

6,319 posts, read 10,347,241 times
From the "Rules and Regulations" tab:

Parking Authority / Residential Parking Permits / General Rules and Regulations

Quote:
Visitor permits are issued solely to the residents for the use of their visitors. Visitor permits must be displayed face up on the vehicle's left side of the dashboard. Please refer to the reverse side of your Decal or Visitor Permit for information and regulations.
I don't think the landlord is considered a "resident," and thus I wouldn't think they can legally require you to give them the pass. As mrboltonman mentioned, if you can get a hold of the pass it may say something more specific on the back.

Old 10-30-2011, 05:38 PM

87 posts, read 204,182 times
Thanks much, all. Very helpful to have a sounding board-
best regards,
W.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Baltimore
View detailed profiles of: