Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Baltimore
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-16-2011, 12:52 PM

50 posts, read 171,061 times

Advertisements

I don't know if any of you have heard this yet, but the Newly Re-elected mayor wants to raise taxes again... I am a bit frustrated and wanted to see what other have to say... Sorry for ranting, I am just sick of seeing Baltimore be unfriendly to businesses

The Mayor is currently trying to raise the Baltimore Beverage tax by 150%. A tax increase like this will not only hurt the people of Baltimore, but it will also hurt business, both small and large. Raising taxes in the fragile state of our economy will be a hindrance and will lead to the loss of even more jobs. It is unfair to the people and businesses of Baltimore for the mayor to raise this tax.

Studies have shown that taxes on consumer products such as beverages are regressive to citizens that are in the lower tax brackets. This ultimately means everyone will have less money in their pockets, further straining everyone’s financial situation. Also, with a tax of this magnitude, major Corporations (and small businesses alike) such as Pepsi and Coca-Cola will close their plants/warehouses/stores in the city and relocate outside of the city – this means more job losses and less tax revenue for the city.

We as residents of this city, already pay enough in Income and Property taxes – now is the time to speak up and say “Enough is enough.”

While the proposed tax is going to help renovate schools (which is a great thing), does anyone else feel that this will cause more even more strain on the Baltimore City economy?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-16-2011, 12:56 PM

18,630 posts, read 19,418,524 times
Baltimore, aka Detroit Jr., is on the fast lane to oblivion.

Old 11-16-2011, 03:25 PM

34,090 posts, read 82,975,811 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newlocustpt View Post
Studies have shown that taxes on consumer products such as beverages are regressive
to citizens that are in the lower tax brackets.
Maybe; but they pay so little in taxes otherwise...

We as residents of this city, already pay enough in Income and Property taxes
– now is the time to speak up and say “Enough is enough.”
Well, some do.

...does anyone else feel that this will cause more even more strain on the Baltimore City economy?
Nope. Mostly it's just window dressing.
hth

Old 11-16-2011, 03:50 PM

50 posts, read 171,061 times
I pay a lot of taxes. A tax increase on an everyday consumable would hurt citizens+retailers.

If the city loses more jobs (Pepsi has 300 at their Baltimore Plant, not sure how many at Coke... also think about mom & pop stores that could suffer..)+more tax revenue, it is going to be in a worse position...right?

Old 11-16-2011, 03:55 PM

34,090 posts, read 82,975,811 times
Quote:
If the city loses more jobs (Pepsi has 300 at their Baltimore Plant, not sure how many at Coke... also think about mom & pop stores that could suffer..)+more tax revenue, it is going to be in a worse position...right?
Are you trying to say that the consumption of Pepsi and Coke...
is some sort of a net positive gain for the City and should have tax benefits to promote that?

Old 11-16-2011, 06:51 PM

251 posts, read 721,790 times
To be honest, I was laughing pretty hard when I heard the proposed tax increase in the same week she was re-elected. Of course she didn't mention it during the race, with every single opponent supporting tax cuts, but that she didn't wait a second longer shows a sort of self-assured "I-dare-you-to-challenge-this" mentality that would make me cheer if she were playing a game of chess.

And then I found out the reason for the 150% tax increase: the current rate failed to produce the expected revenue. From what I understand, this was being treated like a vice tax intended to stop people from consuming unhealthy soft drinks. If the tax generated a $1 million less than expected, the vice tax worked!

But the mayor says she still needs that revenue, and she is diverting it to school construction instead of the original purpose of funding (street maintainance? the health department? I don't recall). Of course it is predicted that $2.8 billion is needed for school renovations city-wide, and the bottle tax will only be a drop in the bucket even if brings in as much money as expected. But I have no confidence that funds intended to go to schools will actually get there and predict any revenue raised will disappear into a general fund.

Old 11-16-2011, 07:17 PM

1,802 posts, read 8,163,018 times
I am neutral on the idea of the increase in this tax, but feel compelled to dispute the notion that it would have a negative impact on jobs at a bottling plant. The tax is on the consumer who buys the bottled beverage within city limits and not on the manufacturer or the wholesaler. Yes, it may have an impact on retail sales of these products within the city limits, although I doubt it would be substantial. People will still but these products, and for most the cost of traveling to a store outside the city to buy them would be more expensive than paying the additional tax.

Old 11-17-2011, 04:22 AM

7,301 posts, read 13,516,151 times
I feel like local watering holes have already jacked their prices up. Anyone else notice that?

Old 11-17-2011, 05:00 AM

926 posts, read 1,256,226 times
Quote:
I don't know if any of you have heard this yet, but the Newly Re-elected mayor wants to raise taxes again... I am a bit frustrated and wanted to see what other have to say... Sorry for ranting, I am just sick of seeing Baltimore be unfriendly to businesses

The Mayor is currently trying to raise the Baltimore Beverage tax by 150%. A tax increase like this will not only hurt the people of Baltimore, but it will also hurt business, both small and large. Raising taxes in the fragile state of our economy will be a hindrance and will lead to the loss of even more jobs. It is unfair to the people and businesses of Baltimore for the mayor to raise this tax.

Studies have shown that taxes on consumer products such as beverages are regressive to citizens that are in the lower tax brackets. This ultimately means everyone will have less money in their pockets, further straining everyone’s financial situation. Also, with a tax of this magnitude, major Corporations (and small businesses alike) such as Pepsi and Coca-Cola will close their plants/warehouses/stores in the city and relocate outside of the city – this means more job losses and less tax revenue for the city.

We as residents of this city, already pay enough in Income and Property taxes – now is the time to speak up and say “Enough is enough.”

While the proposed tax is going to help renovate schools (which is a great thing), does anyone else feel that this will cause more even more strain on the Baltimore City economy?

Problem: Revenue is needed.

Question: What would be your solution?

Old 11-17-2011, 10:05 AM

8,357 posts, read 25,240,720 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by janetvj View Post
I am neutral on the idea of the increase in this tax, but feel compelled to dispute the notion that it would have a negative impact on jobs at a bottling plant. The tax is on the consumer who buys the bottled beverage within city limits and not on the manufacturer or the wholesaler. Yes, it may have an impact on retail sales of these products within the city limits, although I doubt it would be substantial. People will still but these products, and for most the cost of traveling to a store outside the city to buy them would be more expensive than paying the additional tax.
Some people just don't want to pay any tax and that is that. I lived in Maine when voters shot down a proposed beverage tax that would have added roughly 1.5 cents per bottle. Pretty damn insignificant if you ask me, but many people claimed that a tax is a tax and we are taxed enough. The tax was supposed to help fund the State's healthcare system...which most Mainer's use....but that got obscured in the anti beverage tax campaign. Ironically, after the vote many Mainer's said if they knew where the tax was going, they would have voted for it. And Maine, as a whole, is a helluva lot poorer than Baltimore City.

But, here is the thing: raising the bottle tax from 2 cents to 5 cents is not that significant, either. If you are so damn poor that you cannot afford the extra few pennies (literally, 3 more cents) on your Mt. Dew or Purple Drink, then you cannot afford those beverages in the first place. Honestly, most consumers will not notice unless they are buying cases upon cases at a time.

Look at cigarette taxes. One of the reasons why cigarette taxes raise so significantly each time is the hope that the new higher price will price a pack of smokes out of reach for smokers. Did that ever work? Maybe for one or two smokers, but seriously it hasn't.

The only reason to be opposed to this beverage tax is on the grounds that the city/county is not managing its money very well. Like it or not, and this would be true under any political party administration, taxes are how the Government makes its money. If you do not like it than the only real solution is to vote in political leaders who know how to run a business. And lets face it, Government is a business (and since we are a Capitalist society, it should be).

Quote:
Originally Posted by HandsUpThumbsDown View Post
I feel like local watering holes have already jacked their prices up. Anyone else notice that?
After living in Minneapolis and Boston, Baltimore bar prices are cheap by comparison. It depends on what you drink, though. Some of the more obscure craft beers can be a bit pricey.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Baltimore
View detailed profiles of: