Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Baltimore
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-02-2011, 06:07 PM

6 posts, read 11,574 times

Advertisements

Just starting a search for possible relocation and would love some info on Blatimore. Grew up in Mont. Co. MD, live in CT now and thinking of moving family to MD to get closer to aging parents and maybe a better cost of living. Need to get husband close to an airport, but otherwise he will work from home. Someone suggested Homeland area as a good one for family with young kids, pretty big old homes, etc. Is this a good place to raise a family? We have two small children and have no problem using private schools...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-02-2011, 06:58 PM

13,371 posts, read 27,034,756 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by northeastmom View Post
Someone suggested Homeland area as a good one for family with young kids, pretty big old homes, etc. Is this a good place to raise a family? We have two small children and have no problem using private schools...
I would find it attractive because of the nice old homes, cultural attractions like the art museums, and good private schools. However, you have to crunch some numbers to see if it fits your budget. Baltimore City taxes are high, tho I don't have the current mill rate.

Old 12-02-2011, 07:28 PM

7,301 posts, read 13,513,021 times
Property tax rate is 2.268%. The area is nice, from what I've seen of it.

Old 12-03-2011, 07:13 AM

866 posts, read 2,628,047 times
You might also like Roland Park, Guilford, and Mount Washington.

Old 12-03-2011, 09:26 AM

22 posts, read 45,118 times
There are good public elementary schools in Roland Park, Mt. Washington, and the western half of Homeland. For this reason, I get the impression that these are the areas with the most young families moving in. Guilford is beautiful, but the public elementary schools are not very good. When I'm in Guilford, I always get the impression that dogs outnumber young children.

If you're thinking of sending your kids to private school anyway, but you want a neighborhood with lots of young families, you can probably get a good deal on a house in the eastern half of Homeland (east of Springlake). I think the houses west of Springlake are zoned for Roland Park -- arguably the best public school in the city. For this reason, they sell for much higher prices (generally at least $100,000 more) than equivalent homes across the street on the east side of Springlake.

Old 12-03-2011, 08:15 PM

99 posts, read 244,060 times
Default ditto homeland

family w/older kids (10-12) to the left
family w/younger kids (newborn + 3) to the right
and even more families moving in/around the neighborhood
great proximity to RPEMS if you're zoned for it
easy proximity for most of the No. Balt area private schools - some within walking distance (Cathedral, Friends), and others a little further out that, which may offer bus service
i fly out of bwi pretty frequently - usually not more than 1/2 hour drive for me door to door - down 83, cut across downtown, and then hop 95 or bwparkway

moved down from new england a few years ago - if it works for your budget and work circumstances, i find it a great place to raise kids

m_b

Old 12-05-2011, 12:24 PM

775 posts, read 1,784,748 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by northeastmom View Post
Just starting a search for possible relocation and would love some info on Blatimore.
Blatimore. Can I use that?

Old 12-05-2011, 05:32 PM

mass_biker, or anyone else who knows:

How do kids get from Homeland to Roland Park Elementary / Middle School? Is there some sort of path through one of the private schools between Homeland and RPEMS?

Old 12-05-2011, 07:41 PM

99 posts, read 244,060 times
Default Homeland to RPEMS

From the Homeland lakes to RP's main drag (starbucks, Eddies, RPEMS) is 1+ mi, closer to 1.25 depending on where you are. It is also:

- gradually uphill to Charles
- noticeably downhill to Stony Run
- sharply uphill to Roland

So it is not an easy stroll to RPEMS from Homeland.

Homeland is however quite close to Friends and Cathedral. I see kids walking there (0.5 mi) fairly frequently.

If you live in Homeland and are zoned for RPEMS, seems to me it will be a drive for the elementary/middle school set. My neighbor has kids in RPCS, across the street from RPEMS, and they get driven.

Old 12-05-2011, 09:03 PM

mass_biker -- thanks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Baltimore