Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Baltimore
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-10-2012, 07:49 AM

1,175 posts, read 2,887,968 times

Advertisements

It is still in the works and should happen, but I'm told some things were screwed up in the process. Getting rid of "affordable housing" is never easy or pretty but they'll get it done. Reservoir Hill's potential is endless if they redevelop that land and make North Ave very pedestrian friendly! Could be a good spot for retail with new MICA housing across the street!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-10-2012, 10:00 AM

8,150 posts, read 13,212,823 times
Prince George's County had a rather aggressive campaign to force the owners of problem housing complexes to either clean them up or risk them being condemned. I am not sure if they had more flexibility than Baltimore because they are a County.. but it allowed the County to relocate the tenants using vouchers and basically seize the complex. I am not sure how many complexes (if any) were taken but it did get the owners attention at the targeted complexes and improvements were made. Relocating folks from MPN elsewhere should not be a problem.. so I wish the City would get aggressive with this and other problem complex owners.. I guess one challenge that the City has is that many of the public housing complexes owned by the City are not much better or even worse so they cant justify taking someone elses crap if their crap is not in order.

I would agree.. North Ave between Pennsy Ave and Charles Street could be a different place without MPN and Linden Liquors.....

Old 12-10-2012, 10:53 AM

I don't know how DC does it so quickly and easily, probably because they don't have a state to worry about, but they sure redevelop section 8 and public housing quickly.

Old 12-10-2012, 11:40 AM

18,630 posts, read 19,347,192 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KLynch10 View Post
I don't know how DC does it so quickly and easily, probably because they don't have a state to worry about, but they sure redevelop section 8 and public housing quickly.
There's enough money to be made on the private market equation to pay for "affordable housing". So the developer promises to build a certain amount of affordable units, other folks get vouchers and the developer gets to sell his $300K+ homes.

Of course after all the units are sold and people move in the predictable happens. The project people make life unbearable and dangerous for the working people and development spirals downwards. Be careful Baltimore.

SE Henson Ridge Experiment Continues to Be a Nightmare | NBC4 Washington

Old 12-10-2012, 01:04 PM

7,305 posts, read 13,454,904 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EdwardA View Post
Of course after all the units are sold and people move in the predictable happens. The project people make life unbearable and dangerous for the working people and development spirals downwards. Be careful Baltimore.
I dunno. I've seen this model work elsewhere.

Old 12-10-2012, 01:40 PM

1,831 posts, read 4,421,845 times
Quote:
There's enough money to be made on the private market equation to pay for "affordable housing". So the developer promises to build a certain amount of affordable units, other folks get vouchers and the developer gets to sell his $300K+ homes.

I am going to be paying attention to the Uplands development to see if the above happens. What is going up looks nice so far. I believe Uplands includes affordable options.

It would be nice to see MPN develop. I see real potential there.

Old 12-10-2012, 01:44 PM

I think Uplands should be fine. They cleared that community out pretty good before starting. Bozzuto is about as big as it gets in the real estate game right now, so I'm sure they'll screen the crap out of the affordable tenants to make sure their market rate homes and apartments get the #'s they want.

Old 12-10-2012, 06:42 PM

18,630 posts, read 19,347,192 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HandsUpThumbsDown View Post
Hmmm I guess. Some demographers have studied some of the affects of dispersing Section 8 tenants and it wasn't pretty. Of course some liberals cried foul but the evidence was pretty damning.

American Murder Mystery - Hanna Rosin - The Atlantic

Quote:
About five years ago, Janikowski embarked on a more ambitious project. He’d built up enough trust with the police to get them to send him daily crime and arrest reports, including addresses and types of crime. He began mapping all violent and property crimes, block by block, across the city. “These cops on the streets were saying that crime patterns are changing,” he said, so he wanted to look into it.

When his map was complete, a clear if strangely shaped pattern emerged: Wait a minute, he recalled thinking. I see this bunny rabbit coming up. People are going to accuse me of being on shrooms! The inner city, where crime used to be concentrated, was now clean. But everywhere else looked much worse: arrests had skyrocketed along two corridors north and west of the central city (the bunny rabbit’s ears) and along one in the southeast (the tail). Hot spots had proliferated since the mid-1990s, and little islands of crime had sprung up where none had existed before, dotting the map all around the city.

Janikowski might not have managed to pinpoint the cause of this pattern if he hadn’t been married to Phyllis Betts, a housing expert at the University of Memphis. Betts and Janikowski have two dogs, three cats, and no kids; they both tend to bring their work home with them. Betts had been evaluating the impact of one of the city government’s most ambitious initiatives: the demolition of the city’s public-housing projects, as part of a nationwide experiment to free the poor from the destructive effects of concentrated poverty. Memphis demolished its first project in 1997. The city gave former residents federal “Section8” rent-subsidy vouchers and encouraged them to move out to new neighborhoods. Two more waves of demolition followed over the next nine years, dispersing tens of thousands of poor people into the wider metro community.

Old 12-11-2012, 10:25 AM

8,150 posts, read 13,212,823 times
Quote:

I noticed that this video is about three years old.. I wonder how things are now? Baltimore has what appears to be a few successful examples Jonestown and Frankford Estates are two that come to mind.. Orchard Ridge in NE Baltimore behind Archbishop Curley Highschool seems pretty nice and quiet as well but its the newest so time will tell. Jonestown is probably the most successfull given its proximity to downtown.. THough I like Frankford Estates and even considered purchasing there.... there are not many amenities near it.. You still need a car to get to most shopping and what is nearby is mostly dollar stores and discount outlets. You are right on 95 so you can get out to White Marsh or over to Rosdedale/Golden Ring quickly for shopping.. not to mention downtown...Some of the housing near Frankford Estates is somewhat questionable.. but overall it is a nice community.

Old 12-11-2012, 01:38 PM

8,868 posts, read 12,512,537 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HandsUpThumbsDown View Post
AFAIK its worked better in the more desirable higher income parts of DC. That may be due to demand and zoning making possible a much larger number of market rate units relative to the number of guaranteed affordable units.

Its also my strong impression that there are studies indicating better outcomes for poor people who are dispersed vs concentrated with other poor people.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Baltimore
View detailed profiles of: