Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Baltimore
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-25-2012, 01:13 AM

1 posts, read 1,441 times

Advertisements

I'm a single guy relocating from Cleveland, OH (yeah, like the Browns, LOL) for a job in Towson next month. I've done quite a bit of research about Baltimore, but words and pictures can only give you so much. I love city life, but the most desirable parts of town seem to be out of my desired rental price range (Fells Point, Canton) or not too many vacancies (Hampden, Patterson Park). I want to live in an area that doesn't have too bad of a commute to Towson (the Town Center area), good freeway access, is safe, affordable (like $1000 a month or under), and have a good local restaurant/bar scene that's kind of hip, trendy and young. I see places like Union Square, Charles Village, and Pigtown that seem great, but are rough around the edges, which I don't necessarily mind. How safe and affordable are these areas? Are there any other areas in the city like those, maybe that are under the radar? Currently I live in Lakewood, OH, a suburb or Cleveland that is safe, very walkable from small eateries, bars, and the grocery store, and kinda hip and socialable. If all else fails in the city, I'm kinda looking at the Mt. Washington area of town and Parkville/Carney/White Marsh areas. Are those areas pretty good. I would prefer a more local feel, but that is safe. Sorry about all the questions, but any suggestions?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-25-2012, 07:36 AM

13,374 posts, read 27,059,851 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MyndSkape View Post
I see places like Union Square, Charles Village, and Pigtown that seem great, but are rough around the edges, which I don't necessarily mind. How safe and affordable are these areas?
I would recommend Charles Village and Pigtown (AKA Washington Village) to you as affordable. I don't know Union Square well enough to comment, but see the recent post by KLynch10. Also see my response to another young man, "Job In Columbia". Maybe you two could team up?

Have you read the sticky thread, "Neighborhoods in Baltimore"? Mt Washington is very good, but maybe out of your budget. White Marsh is too far to commute to Towson, IMO. Carney/Parkville may be affordable, but I doubt if they have much nightlife.

Last edited by goldenage1; 12-25-2012 at 07:44 AM..

Old 12-26-2012, 07:15 AM

187 posts, read 364,403 times
Safe is a relative term. Not even Towson is safe in certain situations.

I don't see Union Square or Pigtown being a practical commute to Towson. I'd guess you want something either on the 83 corridor or in north Baltimore.

$1000 seems like a lot of money to me. My mortgage is less than that. I'm sure you could find something for that amount in any neighborhood you want. Are you only checking craigslist? In my day we used the Baltimore Sun and Citypaper classifieds.

Towson is a pretty cool place. I wish I could live in Towson. There's young people and a little downtown. You can get anywhere in the city (or countryside) in 15 minutes.

If you are an absolute fashionista then go with Hampden/Remington or Mt Vernon.

Old 12-26-2012, 07:25 AM

201 posts, read 590,242 times
Charles village or Hamden for the shortest commute from the city. Fells Pt for the best bars and restaurant. I'd recommend splitting a row house with a roommate(s) to make it more affordable. Try this bulletin board for finding a roommate. Baltimore Sports & Social Club, Inc.

Old 12-26-2012, 09:33 AM

7,301 posts, read 13,521,960 times
Another vote for Charles village. Depending where you work on Towson, there may be frequent bus service.

Old 12-29-2012, 08:00 AM

4,180 posts, read 14,602,502 times
Charles Village. But, parts of Remington are also okay. Hampden is another option. For 1 grand a month, I would think you could find something in most areas.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Baltimore