Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Baltimore
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-25-2011, 06:46 PM

41 posts, read 117,268 times

Advertisements

I've been in search of a neighborhood in Baltimore that have a combination of aspects that I am seeking for quite some time now. I stumbled upon the Falls Village of Mt Washington apartments when investigating potential neighborhoods/apartments in the Baltimore area and saw they are in the Mt Washington neighborhood which I had never heard of and know nothing about. It seems like an overall nice area but I still have a few unanswered questions regarding the area that I am HOPING someone on here could assist in providing me with some additional information.

My questions-

Is this an area that a young person (college aged) would enjoy?

Is this area at all walkable and/or bike friendly?

Is there a diverse amount of things to do?

Is this a diverse community (race, age, etc) ?

Thanks in advance for any answers/additional info!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-25-2011, 06:59 PM

3,879 posts, read 8,382,136 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by frozenpie View Post
My questions-

Is this an area that a young person (college aged) would enjoy?

Is this area at all walkable and/or bike friendly?

Is there a diverse amount of things to do?

Is this a diverse community (race, age, etc) ?

Thanks in advance for any answers/additional info!
I live in Bonnie Ridge (off Smith Ave) and I love Mt. Washington. Its quiet, clean, pretty and close to major highways, easy to get to downtown and other things.

To answer your questions:

1) There aren't a lot of young college aged people in my development, but I'd say teh demographic here is 20's, 30's and up. Its definitely NOT a party area but a good area if you prefer the peace and quiet and having a large apartment with free parking. I do have some new neighbors over me who seem college age and judging by their noise, they are enjoying it.

2) Definitely bike friendly. The Light Rail is close by and I've seen many people bike to it. Its very suburban so you can bike nearly everywhere. Not as walkable but there are a few buses that run on Smith Ave. Not sure about Falls Village.

3) The only "hot spot" Mt. Washington had was the tavern but it burned down a few weeks ago. But Mt. Washington is close enough to 83 and 695 to quickly get anywhere like downtown. This is nor really a social community. Its mainly families.

4) I don't know about Falls but I'm assuming its similar to Bonnie Ridge which is very diverse. This is the most diverse building I've ever lived in; blacks, whites, Indians, Filipinos, Asians, its got everybody. And lots of dogs and pets.

Hope that helps. If you like the 'burbs, Mt Washington is great!

Old 12-27-2011, 12:15 PM

6,129 posts, read 6,809,038 times
Yes to diversity and bike friendly, walkable only if you live in specific sections and don't mind hills, and as far as young people and things to do it depends. It is definitely full of young families around here as opposed to college students, but I wouldn't say there are no young singles around. And if you are the type who likes arty stuff, spas, outdoor fun, eateries and coffee shops you will be entertained. If you want a bar and club scene, movies, malls, pick up spots etc you are going to have to drive for that. All that is easily accessible by car, not far at all, but then you have the hassle of having to park the car, designated drivers, etc. I don't know what the cab situation is like in Baltimore.

Old 12-27-2011, 12:25 PM

1,175 posts, read 2,900,139 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinawina View Post
I don't know what the cab situation is like in Baltimore.
There is not much I dislike more in Baltimore than the Cab Situation. It is unregulated anarchy run by a bunch of scumbags. It can literally cost you $20 to go anywhere in Baltimore if you get stuck with the right driver. Never take a checker cab, always make sure they run the meter.... or else they are about to rip you off. Last time I rode a cab the guy charged us $30 to go from Harbor East to Federal Hill... about 1.5 miles. Then wanted a tip.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Baltimore