Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Baltimore
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-02-2012, 01:00 PM

31 posts, read 66,053 times

Advertisements

Thats what I saw, but isnt sykesville and eldesburg as fair as bel air? Or I am wrong? i dont know the traffic patterns..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-02-2012, 01:12 PM

13,369 posts, read 27,026,467 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexmed View Post
Thats what I saw, but isnt sykesville and eldesburg as fair as bel air? Or I am wrong? i dont know the traffic patterns..
Yes, about the same 28-32 miles, and 41-42 minutes. I am assuming you would work around the medical campus of UMD downtown.

I am personally more familiar with the west suburbs of Baltimore than with Bel Air, and I find Carroll County quite attractive. It is also possible to drive to the Owings Mill Metro, and ride the train downtown for about 26 minutes. Unless your job comes with parking, the parking situation is a pain around UMD.

Old 01-02-2012, 01:40 PM

Can you make bel air to downtown in 40 minutes? (1 hour in heavy transit or snow?)

Old 01-02-2012, 02:52 PM

6,129 posts, read 6,807,419 times
I wouldn't take the school rating that seriously. Some of the best schools in the city have 7 or 8 ratings as opposed to 9 or 10. Ask around about school quality and add that feedback to your assessment along with the ratings. You can always ask, say, admissions people at a good private middle or high school as well, they will let you know which schools in the area are considered up to snuff.

Old 01-02-2012, 03:16 PM

Thank you everybody that have answered so far. I really apreciated.

Any special thoughts on Perry hall? How it is regarding, safety, entertainement and how it compares to ellicott city?

Old 01-02-2012, 04:25 PM

201 posts, read 589,853 times
Perry Hall is unsafe and the Howard and AA Schools are no good????? What bizarro world is this info coming from?

Old 01-02-2012, 04:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ltong1009 View Post
Perry Hall is unsafe and the Howard and AA Schools are no good????? What bizarro world is this info coming from?
I am asking wheter PH is safe or not.

Regarding AA schools I am just relying on their scores, and the majority are lower than 7

Old 01-02-2012, 05:23 PM

13,369 posts, read 27,026,467 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexmed View Post
I am asking wheter PH is safe or not.
Well, the average income in Perry Hall is higher than the state average, and you house budget is higher than the median. I believe you would be living in a very safe neighborhood.

The one person who mentioned feeling unsafe in Perry Hall is a woman who wanted to sleep with her windows open and her car windows open. But that is crazy in an urban area (and I mean close to a big city). She also complained about police helicopters chasing people two times a month. That just means the local police are doing their work. I compare it to the neighborhood I used to live in, where I heard police helicopters every night.

I don't think you have anything to worry about in Perry Hall. There is a nice neighborhood that backs up to the Gunpowder Falls State Park that might be enjoyable if you like hiking and picnicking. As far as entertainment goes, there are a few bars and restaurants and a bowling alley. I'd rather be in Ellicott City for an interesting brew-pub, but you have already ruled out EC on price grounds.

Old 01-02-2012, 05:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by goldenage1 View Post
Well, the average income in Perry Hall is higher than the state average, and you house budget is higher than the median. I believe you would be living in a very safe neighborhood.

The one person who mentioned feeling unsafe in Perry Hall is a woman who wanted to sleep with her windows open and her car windows open. But that is crazy in an urban area (and I mean close to a big city). She also complained about police helicopters chasing people two times a month. That just means the local police are doing their work. I compare it to the neighborhood I used to live in, where I heard police helicopters every night.

I don't think you have anything to worry about in Perry Hall. There is a nice neighborhood that backs up to the Gunpowder Falls State Park that might be enjoyable if you like hiking and picnicking. As far as entertainment goes, there are a few bars and restaurants and a bowling alley. I'd rather be in Ellicott City for an interesting brew-pub, but you have already ruled out EC on price grounds.

Thanks you very much, thats was very informatiive. I really apreciate. How far us PH to UMB?

Old 01-02-2012, 05:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by goldenage1 View Post

Thanks you very much, thats was very informatiive. I really apreciate. How far is PH to UMB? 40 minutes? 50 with traffic?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Baltimore