Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Baltimore
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-12-2012, 05:47 PM

18,630 posts, read 19,412,427 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by allenk893 View Post
Baltimore can't develop it's youth. Not unless they reinact corporal punishment and put the 10 commandments back into school. Baltimore kids need the fear of God and fear of adult authority put inside of them. There is nothing else that can change them. They are the ultimate depiction of what liberalism does to a community. Disrespect, dishonor, & depravity. No fear of God before their eyes. So they act however they want to act. My little cousin was raised in a relatively strict God-fearing home with loving family all around him. He went to go live in Baltimore for about a year in the public school system and I don't regconize him. He is talking ignorant, walking ignorant, and constantly using the n-word, and acting like he wasn't raised in a normal middle-class home. I had no idea that an inner city school could do so much damage. Considering the fact that I lived in South Chicago for a bit longer as a child and came out normal.

All I have to say to Baltimore residents is if you have kids, please move elsewhere.
It's very important to be an a constructive environment. Inner city Black culture is the opposite. Kids want to fit in with their peers starting around middle school. So if their peers are mostly acting like hooligans most kids will conform to that culture.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-12-2012, 06:54 PM

251 posts, read 721,486 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EdwardA View Post
It's very important to be an a constructive environment. Inner city Black culture is the opposite. Kids want to fit in with their peers starting around middle school. So if their peers are mostly acting like hooligans most kids will conform to that culture.
It'd be okay if kids wanted to fit in with their peers in middle school and high school. Baltimore's kids want to fit in with "adults" they see on television. Reality stars and athletes that make millions of dollars simply for having boisterous personalities.

I've personally witnessed straight A middle school students in the city fail classes by the time they reach high school because they don't want to be seen as "dorks and punks" even though they have peers who are still doing well in school. They aren't comparing themselves to classmates, they compare themselves to role models. And the only role models they are interested in are the ones who get filthy rich without having to work for it. They don't dream of having a job they are passionate about, and I can at least say I've changed a few kids minds about that by showing them the my work.

Old 01-12-2012, 07:56 PM

201 posts, read 589,853 times
There are plenty of good schools in Baltimore City. Too many bad ones, but telling all parents to move out goes way too far. Too many parents moving out is one of the many causes of this problem.

Quote:
Originally Posted by allenk893 View Post
Baltimore can't develop it's youth. Not unless they reinact corporal punishment and put the 10 commandments back into school. Baltimore kids need the fear of God and fear of adult authority put inside of them. There is nothing else that can change them. They are the ultimate depiction of what liberalism does to a community. Disrespect, dishonor, & depravity. No fear of God before their eyes. So they act however they want to act. My little cousin was raised in a relatively strict God-fearing home with loving family all around him. He went to go live in Baltimore for about a year in the public school system and I don't regconize him. He is talking ignorant, walking ignorant, and constantly using the n-word, and acting like he wasn't raised in a normal middle-class home. I had no idea that an inner city school could do so much damage. Considering the fact that I lived in South Chicago for a bit longer as a child and came out normal.

All I have to say to Baltimore residents is if you have kids, please move elsewhere.

Old 01-13-2012, 07:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by End-User View Post
It'd be okay if kids wanted to fit in with their peers in middle school and high school. Baltimore's kids want to fit in with "adults" they see on television. Reality stars and athletes that make millions of dollars simply for having boisterous personalities.

I've personally witnessed straight A middle school students in the city fail classes by the time they reach high school because they don't want to be seen as "dorks and punks" even though they have peers who are still doing well in school. They aren't comparing themselves to classmates, they compare themselves to role models. And the only role models they are interested in are the ones who get filthy rich without having to work for it. They don't dream of having a job they are passionate about, and I can at least say I've changed a few kids minds about that by showing them the my work.
Maybe you're right but if they are mimicking any adults it is those adults who are closer to them not necessarily rap stars. White kids watch and listen to just as much hip hop as Black kids but you don't see the same level of dysfunction among whites even among the poor.

In a normal functioning culture hip-hop and the thug culture would be regulated to teenage angst a simple phase one grows out of.

Also you are dead on about the Straight A students throwing classes. I visited a PG County Middle School recently and the administrator there said he has students who complete there homework because their parents are on top of them at home and then not turn it in. He'll go through their lockers and find all the work. Or the kids will throw the exams.

What's maddening is the "experts" say that there is no more or less of a social stigma for black kids to do well in school as opposed to whites but that simply flies in the face of my personal experiences and the experiences of many others.

So the problems continue.

Old 01-13-2012, 07:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ltong1009 View Post
There are plenty of good schools in Baltimore City. Too many bad ones, but telling all parents to move out goes way too far. Too many parents moving out is one of the many causes of this problem.
I'm sorry most parents don't want their kids to be some experiment in a social program. Their kids' education is simply too important to be put to chance. So when the time comes they will simply vote with their feet.

Old 01-13-2012, 12:38 PM

226 posts, read 363,653 times
i agree with many of your posts especially in reference to role models, many kids do not live in reality, the things they see on tv and hear in music they really believe these things are real to a certain extent, others see poverty and dysfuntion as normal because they are living in communities of concentrated poverty where drug use and incarceration are acceptable outcomes, i think that the cycle can be broken but the answer will not be simple, my solution would focus on taking the kids outside of their comfort zone to a different environment maybe a few times a month atleast to show them that what they see in their neighborhoods is not normal behavior, focus on education...college for those that want it and vocational for those who choose...i think illustrating how the skills they learn in school will translate into earning money would go a long ways towards getting people to realize the importance of education, lastly i would have them doing some kind of community service like working at soup kitchens, shelters, or doing community building projects...maybe have them working for habitat for humanity...to the person that said that the kids cant be developed thats basically a lie and im living proof of it
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Baltimore
View detailed profiles of: