Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Baltimore
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-06-2008, 04:08 PM

4 posts, read 18,961 times

Advertisements

Fond memories...the ribbon cake.mmmmmmmmm

the horseradish guy outside the door and the smell to clear your nose for days!!!

old baltimore........been away too long!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-15-2009, 08:43 AM

1 posts, read 6,768 times
Default Harley's steak sandwich

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilypine View Post
Does anyone have a receipe for Harley Steak Sandwich????
I came across your note while I was looking up Harley's in a recent visit to Baltimore. I felt the steak sandwich was the best ever mde - I have lived in various places across the country amd have never been able to ge that taste back. I too would appreciate it if anyone out ther has an idea about the receipe, it can't be that hard.
[EMAIL="mjshack@yahoo.com"]mjshack@yahoo.com[/EMAIL]

Old 10-20-2009, 01:03 AM

206 posts, read 794,703 times
There used to be a Pollock Johnny's in Hampden about 25 years ago. On the corner of 36th and Hickory. Were they Hushpuppy Slurpee's? The blue one's?

Old 10-20-2009, 11:50 AM

773 posts, read 2,617,274 times
Anybody remember Tulkoff's horseradish on East Lombard Street?
My uncle Max was the head baker at Stone's for many years.

A few doors away was Louis Blaustein's place where he started the American Oil Company, later to become Standard Oil (Indiana), then Amoco, and now a part of British Petroleum (BP). Yep, Amoco Oil was founded in J-town (no offense intended) in Baltimore. The building was still there when I was a kid.

Old 02-20-2011, 01:08 PM

1 posts, read 6,359 times
It's been a LOT of years since I lived in MD, but when I did, I used to religiously get PJ's with the Works at both locations (the Block...and Lexington Market). The Market was actually more my favorite, because I could get a paper bag full of hot roasted peanuts on my way out. NOBODY makes a polish sausage and "relish" like PJ's, but try the following kinda-sorta recipe for the Works:

The Works (Kinda-Sorta)

3 – 4 Roma tomatoes, chopped
½ onion, chopped
¼ green pepper, chopped
½ cucumber, chopped
1 small celery stalk, chopped
2 cloves garlic, minced
8 oz tomato sauce
1 TBS onion powder
2 tsp chili powder
1 tsp corn starch
1 TBS light corn syrup
1 TBS white vinegar
Salt
Pepper

Combine all ingredients and refrigerate.

Old 02-22-2011, 10:33 AM

1,802 posts, read 8,140,130 times
I realize that this is an old thread, but for what it's worth I have it on good authority that the Polock Johnny's in Ocean City is not affiliated with the two Baltimore locations (Washington Blvd & Lexington Market). I believe that the Ocean City owner also operates a stand at one of the outlet malls just over the Bay Bridge, too. Never tried one of these, but I agree that there's nothing like the original Polock Johnny's with the works.

Note - just noticed that the website also lists a location at Security Square Mall.

http://www.polockjohnnys.com/locations.aspx

Old 07-03-2011, 10:29 PM

1 posts, read 6,173 times
I know how to make the sauce, but am looking for somewhere to buy the links. They used to sell at what is now Cosco on Rt 40

Old 09-27-2011, 12:03 AM

1 posts, read 6,083 times
Smile Polock Johnny's

Hello all...in response to janetvj, I too have some pretty good authority on the Polock Johnny's locations owned/operated in Ocean City and Queenstown, and soon to be Baltimore. You are correct, we are not affiliated, my father was one of the original operators of the Ocean City MD location in 1975; he purchased that location from John Kafka, Baltimore's "Polock Johnny". So, although I would agree with you that we are not affiliated, we do operate using the recipes and traditions which John Kafka taught my father 30+ years ago. At that time Polock Johnny's was growing as a company and locations were spread across Maryland.

Fast forward, Baltimore's original Polock Johnnys faced growing pains in the early 1990's and emerged as the Baltimore locations only while our company/locations on the Eastern Shore remained owned and operated by our family using the same products, recipes and care as the original Baltimore locations. We added great menu items which have expanded on the original menu but you can always get a great "PJ with the Works" or a "Muffinski" made by a family who has prepared them for 2 generations!

Old 07-04-2015, 08:03 AM

44 posts, read 113,075 times
happo - can you post how to make the sauce

Old 07-06-2015, 10:11 PM

5,289 posts, read 7,363,403 times
Baltimoreans, such an odd species!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Baltimore
View detailed profiles of: