U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Baltimore
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-14-2012, 09:21 AM

9 posts, read 15,370 times

Advertisements

I know, this line of questioning is far less than original, but hopefully the very kind members of this forum will indulge me .

I am considering relocating to Baltimore for a very good career opportunity. Part of my consideration will be ensuring that I can have a good quality of life, and all in all I think I can. But my living arrangements will have a lot to do with that, and thus my questions to the group are:

1. One option that I think I would enjoy is living in an urban environment. It seems like Federal Hill, Falls Point, Butchers Hill and possibly some other neighborhoods would make sense. The job is located close to Eastern Ave & S Central Ave, and it'd be great to walk to work every day. But the parking seems very prohibitive. Is there the possibility of renting a reserved parking spot on a monthly basis? Does anyone have a ballpark idea about what the monthly costs would be?

2. Another option is to live not too far away, but somewhere a little bit outside of the city where I can have a driveway. I'd still want to be able to use public transportation to go to the city though (I can't stand rush hour traffic!). What are some good neighborhoods on the light rail that might fit this criteria? I'd have a preference for places in the direction of Wash DC, as I have friends there and would want to be able to get down there as easily as possible.

3. The employer would pay for my relocation, but I am not yet certain if that means providing me real estate services or just a lump sum of money to figure it out on my own. In case of the latter, what are generally the best ways to search for a residence? Is it common to use agents? Are there reputable web sites in addition to craigslist that I ought to review?

Your thoughts and comments are much appreciated. Many thanks in advance!

Jiggles
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-14-2012, 09:26 AM

1,175 posts, read 2,624,230 times
From that location, Living in Fells Point, Canton, Butchers Hill, Harbor East, Little Italy would all be very close. Try to find a house that comes with a parking spot, there is a lot of them.

There are rental spots available as well. Here is a new site, but I would also check craigslist.

https://www.parkingpanda.com/

Old 01-14-2012, 09:57 AM

274 posts, read 606,722 times
Columbia, MD is in the direction of DC but in my opinion, it's a strange suburban area...too commercial and planned out for me...but people like it.

Old 01-14-2012, 02:51 PM

201 posts, read 542,401 times
Parking is less of a concern if you walk to work. There is a small population in Bmore that go car free. Zip car is a great resource for those folks. I'd love to have that option.

Old 01-14-2012, 03:22 PM

1,759 posts, read 4,701,857 times
A number of homes have dedicated parking but it usually tacks on a hundred or so to the rental price. Frankly it's worth it.

Old 01-14-2012, 09:18 PM

Default Thanks Everyone...

I appreciate the replies. If anyone can comment on good neighborhoods along the light rail, I'd still really appreciate that as well.

Many thanks again.

Jiggles

Old 01-15-2012, 10:50 AM

805 posts, read 1,910,892 times
Mt Washinton, Cold Spring, Wood Berry, Mount Vernon, and Bolton Hill are nice neighborhoods close to the light rail.

Old 01-15-2012, 12:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrboltonman View Post
Mt Washinton, Cold Spring, Wood Berry, Mount Vernon, and Bolton Hill are nice neighborhoods close to the light rail.
Thank you as well for your reply. I'll research each of these towns. Additionally, it seems like Towson is a place worth investigating (Lutherville and Falls Road stops close by?). This is some great starter information - thanks again!

Jiggles

Old 01-15-2012, 05:19 PM

98 posts, read 220,652 times
Default Neighborhoods

Sounds like you are working in/around Harbor East and want proximity to that area - for context, where are you moving from? The choices listed so far range from quite urban/apartment oriented/walkable to more suburban - are you looking for something similar/different to where you currently are?

m_b

Old 01-16-2012, 12:57 PM

7,312 posts, read 11,986,149 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mass_biker View Post
Sounds like you are working in/around Harbor East and want proximity to that area - for context, where are you moving from? The choices listed so far range from quite urban/apartment oriented/walkable to more suburban - are you looking for something similar/different to where you currently are?

m_b
M-B is right. If you're looking for an urban setting, your job's location is surrounded by a few really great neighborhoods to live in (fells Pt, little italy, harbor east, Jonestown to some extent), from which you can walk to work. There'd be no reason to go any further if urban is what you're looking for.

However if you want something else - there are options.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Baltimore