U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Baltimore
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 01-29-2012, 12:04 PM
 
1,021 posts, read 2,103,199 times
Reputation: 1470

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by barante View Post
For several decades now, by a legislative action, Baltimore City has been specifically prohibited from annexing any more land from adjoining counties. So it ain't gonna happen, if you are worried. If you are not worried, it still ain't gonna happen.
Exactly. The poor inner-city conditions you see in Baltimore, Washington D.C., cities of Virginia, and even St. Louis, Missouri are a lack of 19th century foresight and a now 60+ year trend of revenge on the behalf of the suburbs. Baltimore became "independent" from Baltimore County in 1851. Their rationale, like those of these other independent cities (Norfolk, Richmond, D.C., etc.) was so they would not have to bear the burden of extending infrastructure out into these counties and the "wealthy" inner-city residents wouldn't have to bear the tax burden of supporting their country bumpkin county neighbors; 100 years later the tide certainly shifted when inner-city development all but ceased and Brown v. Board created the white flight panic that shift all "urban" development out into these suburbs.

Had Baltimore not declared itself independent it would have been able to annex county land indefinitely so long as the city wasn't trying to annex massive swaths of low-density land just to keep a white majority (Atlanta tried that strategy in the 1950s but by the 1970s it began to be struck down in the courts). But just think, Towson, Pikeville and Parkville could all feasibly have been annexed into the city of Baltimore. Think of how much better off D.C. would be if it hadn't given away Arlington and Alexandria back to the state of Virginia. Maybe the city of Baltimore needs to do some groveling back toward the county or when the inner ring suburbs of Baltimore become bad off enough maybe they will rethink their position as well.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 01-30-2012, 04:32 AM
 
Location: North Beach, MD on the Chesapeake
38,421 posts, read 49,990,991 times
Reputation: 50702
Even if the City had the ability to annex the unincorporated areas of the County there are significant hurdles.

The County Council has to approve a move to annex by the City.
Then the City has to get 20% of the registered voters in the proposed annexation area to request it through petition.
Then there has to be a series of public hearings held in the proposed area.
Then there has to be a vote in the general election where 50% + 1 voters in the proposed area approve the annexation.
Depending on the form of annexation there also has to a be a vote by City voters approving the annexation, although that isn't always required.

That doesn't take into account the questions of the value of public land (schools, parks, etc.) to be transferred and for which the County would likely request compensation.

As a note, it's almost impossible to annex already developed land into an incorporated area in MD. Where it typically happens is for undeveloped property to be annexed in order to receive services like water and sewer and/or to increase density. People in already developed areas don't like the prospect of paying higher City taxes.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-30-2012, 09:25 AM
(-) (-) started this thread
 
690 posts, read 1,748,544 times
Reputation: 487
Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
Even if the City had the ability to annex the unincorporated areas of the County there are significant hurdles.

The County Council has to approve a move to annex by the City.
Then the City has to get 20% of the registered voters in the proposed annexation area to request it through petition.
Then there has to be a series of public hearings held in the proposed area.
Then there has to be a vote in the general election where 50% + 1 voters in the proposed area approve the annexation.
Depending on the form of annexation there also has to a be a vote by City voters approving the annexation, although that isn't always required.

That doesn't take into account the questions of the value of public land (schools, parks, etc.) to be transferred and for which the County would likely request compensation.

As a note, it's almost impossible to annex already developed land into an incorporated area in MD. Where it typically happens is for undeveloped property to be annexed in order to receive services like water and sewer and/or to increase density. People in already developed areas don't like the prospect of paying higher City taxes.
Doesn't Baltimore city own undeveloped land in surrounding counties like Anne Arundel & Baltimore? I thought I had read that somewhere. A few city owned parks were in blighted condition or something like that.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-30-2012, 09:39 AM
 
Location: North Beach, MD on the Chesapeake
38,421 posts, read 49,990,991 times
Reputation: 50702
Quote:
Originally Posted by (-) View Post
Doesn't Baltimore city own undeveloped land in surrounding counties like Anne Arundel & Baltimore? I thought I had read that somewhere. A few city owned parks were in blighted condition or something like that.

I don't know. But one of the rules when drawing incorporation lines is that areas must be contiguous.

Last edited by North Beach Person; 01-30-2012 at 10:12 AM..
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-30-2012, 09:57 AM
 
1,175 posts, read 2,672,994 times
Reputation: 537
I'd love to see Baltimore City become part of Baltimore County. There is too much wealth and power that travels outside of the city lines at the end of the work day and leaves the residents with the tax burden. Baltimore County can't prosper without Baltimore City, yet they don't contribute much to it. Will probably never happen, but it would be great for straightening out politics, budgets, policies and taxes, and would be a really powerful county.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-30-2012, 11:36 AM
 
Location: Burlington County, NJ
8,559 posts, read 11,660,933 times
Reputation: 5595
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steelers10 View Post
Exactly. The poor inner-city conditions you see in Baltimore, Washington D.C., cities of Virginia, and even St. Louis, Missouri are a lack of 19th century foresight and a now 60+ year trend of revenge on the behalf of the suburbs. Baltimore became "independent" from Baltimore County in 1851. Their rationale, like those of these other independent cities (Norfolk, Richmond, D.C., etc.) was so they would not have to bear the burden of extending infrastructure out into these counties and the "wealthy" inner-city residents wouldn't have to bear the tax burden of supporting their country bumpkin county neighbors; 100 years later the tide certainly shifted when inner-city development all but ceased and Brown v. Board created the white flight panic that shift all "urban" development out into these suburbs.
I guess that applies to cites like Philly and Chicago in regards to why they can't annex more land also?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-30-2012, 12:58 PM
 
Location: North Beach, MD on the Chesapeake
38,421 posts, read 49,990,991 times
Reputation: 50702
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwillyfromphilly View Post
I guess that applies to cites like Philly and Chicago in regards to why they can't annex more land also?
Probably.

MD especially makes it tough.

And think of it another way, let's use PA. What solvent suburban Township with a fairly successful school system (and I know PA school systems are organized differently from MD) is going to vote to become part of an insolvent city?

Annexation is a 2 way street, the annexers and the annexees. If there is no value to annexation why would an area agree to be annexed? Many people see this as a way for the city to gain more tax revenue on the cheap.

This was tried in the South with school systems (merging of city and suburban) and it was a disaster.

As far as Philadelphia goes, doesn't it have a commuter tax on suburbanites who commute to the City to work? This is something neither MD municipalities nor the District of Columbia has.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-30-2012, 05:09 PM
 
Location: NYC
7,311 posts, read 12,311,213 times
Reputation: 3714
Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post

As far as Philadelphia goes, doesn't it have a commuter tax on suburbanites who commute to the City to work? This is something neither MD municipalities nor the District of Columbia has.
Half of Baltimore city hall would have to pay it.

I too don't think annexation is a reasonable option, and certainly politically impossible in the forseeable future.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-30-2012, 06:39 PM
 
Location: Burlington County, NJ
8,559 posts, read 11,660,933 times
Reputation: 5595
Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
Probably.



As far as Philadelphia goes, doesn't it have a commuter tax on suburbanites who commute to the City to work?
Yes.

Quote:
This is something neither MD municipalities nor the District of Columbia has.
I did not know that. I thought that was the rule for commuters of all major cities.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-30-2012, 06:48 PM
 
1,175 posts, read 2,672,994 times
Reputation: 537
Man, Philly has all the right ideas when it comes to Taxes!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Baltimore

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2021, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top