Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Baltimore
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-28-2012, 06:37 PM

206 posts, read 798,007 times

Advertisements

I think it's been 3 years! I never even see construction trucks any longer and there are speed traps all around the beltway with orange cones every where. It's a cash cow. We all know some corrupt politician is behind this. I think the media needs to step in and address this. There's been incidents of no one in those white trucks and when there is they're asleep. This has to be driving people out of Maryland. Someone call Jane Miller.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-28-2012, 07:35 PM

2,366 posts, read 2,639,870 times
Before each camera vehicle, the speed limit is posted with your speed beneath it. There are several warnings to let drivers know the cameras is up ahead.

Old 01-28-2012, 08:40 PM

781 posts, read 1,196,323 times
I moved to Baltimore in mid-2007, and, I recall when I first arrived they were in the beginning stages of constructing the monster ramps / elevated highways that now help make up the entrances/exits to 695. Used to scare me, hated seeing the roads in the sky leading to nowhere, lol.

I also loathe the speed cameras. I've bit nailed 4x, for going no more than just a few over the reduced speed limit, which I believe is 55 mph. It's a trap and not a nice one at that, especially considering the construction, from what I see, is basically complete. If the cameras continued all throughout 95 in the state, I would feel better about it's 'primary' purpose--ensuring safety. But, when there's only a small snippet of highway targeted, and you require everyone on average doing 70 mph to slow down to 55 mph within a few hundred feet, (and only enforce this for a mile, if that), its rationale becomes quite curious.

Last edited by MobileVisitor09; 01-28-2012 at 08:49 PM..

Old 01-28-2012, 09:15 PM

The cameras are located at work zone. The cameras aren't triggered until you drive 12+ over the limit. Those vehicles with the cameras are located after the "your speed" sign. I'm surprised people actually get caught by these cameras. They're clearly visible.

Old 01-31-2012, 06:38 PM

149 posts, read 270,427 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phyxius View Post
The cameras are located at work zone. The cameras aren't triggered until you drive 12+ over the limit. Those vehicles with the cameras are located after the "your speed" sign. I'm surprised people actually get caught by these cameras. They're clearly visible.
I'm surprised every night when I see that bright flash when someone gets caught speeding especially when the sign is there displaying your speed before you actually reach the cameras.

The construction on 695 is still ridiculous though!

Old 02-01-2012, 04:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by peachgeek View Post
I'm surprised every night when I see that bright flash when someone gets caught speeding especially when the sign is there displaying your speed before you actually reach the cameras.

The construction on 695 is still ridiculous though!
Those overpasses need to be replaced so I'm not complaining.

Old 02-03-2012, 01:43 PM

22 posts, read 51,932 times
"The construction of the Interstate system was initiated by the 1956 Federal Highway Act.
The Baltimore Beltway was completed in 1962 as a 6-lane 36-mile-long circumferential freeway bypass of the city, although it did not become a 53-mile-long full circle until 1977 when the eastern portion was completed across the Outer Harbor."

So, to answer your question, it's been under construction for about 56 years.

In all seriousness, it's been too long, and I'm just glad I don't have to drive it everyday to get to work like I used to.

Old 02-05-2012, 10:40 PM

167 posts, read 426,656 times
All the construction is to expand the northern and western portions of the beltway by a total of two lanes. The SHA has a description of the projects on its website. Of course it could be done faster, but to do that would mean shutting down the roadways (including the local routes crossing the beltway) to all traffic until it is done.

I don't see any happiness in that scenario, unless you like much heavier traffic on Joppa Road.

I 've yet to be nailed by the speed cameras. Of course, I stick to the right lane and drive as close to the speed limit as I can within the construction zones.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Baltimore
View detailed profiles of: