Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Baltimore
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-01-2012, 05:28 AM

7,301 posts, read 13,513,021 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PennStater818 View Post

We'll check out the property tax situation too. Just curious, why would the previous owner have enjoyed tax breaks there?
I don't understand that, either.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-01-2012, 08:01 AM

61 posts, read 150,440 times
I've discovered the home is in the Cedmont neighborhood, and they have a website! Cedmont Community Improvement Association - Home

Thoughts on this neighborhood, anyone? We're working up a bid with our realtor now...

Old 10-01-2012, 08:07 AM

Quote:

Thoughts on this neighborhood, anyone? We're working up a bid with our realtor now...
I don't know the neighborhood that well, but get yourself on the board of that improvement association. It's good to be involved in an area you've just invested heavily in.

Trust me, these groups love to see young couples move in and you will be the subject of much adoration and maybe even some "welcome to the neighborhood" cookies!

Old 10-03-2012, 06:49 PM

Haha...I love cookies. I may have to do that.

Well I can't believe I'm typing this...but we officially have the house under contract! We're excited, but know we aren't done yet. Inspection is yet to come. Any advice from my favorite peanut gallery on what to pay special attention to during this process?

It still doesn't feel real...can't believe we're under contract!

Old 10-03-2012, 07:59 PM

5,724 posts, read 7,481,772 times
Yeah! Congratulations! Pay attention to the plumbing and the basement.

Old 10-04-2012, 04:16 PM

5,328 posts, read 6,016,928 times
Quote:
Haha, good to know about "Belair." Gotta fit in!

We'll check out the property tax situation too. Just curious, why would the previous owner have enjoyed tax breaks there?
Sorry, missed your post. I'm guessing you learned that Maryland has a homestead tax credit that tends to grow each year you reside in the home. For example: I purchased my home in 2007. For this tax year, I received a $130.53 credit towards my tax bill. My neighbor, OTOH, moved into an almost exact same home in 1994, and receives a $1,686.04 credit. My home is assessed at $286,000, the neighbor's home is assessed at $280,800. I pay $3,341.85 in taxes, she pays $2,346.32. This is true for most of the homes in my neighborhood. You just need to be aware what YOUR tax will be, not the former resident's tax.

BTW, Congratulations!

Old 11-01-2012, 02:09 PM

So it's been a few weeks since my last post--well, that's because we were closing on the house!! As of yesterday, my wife and I have successfully closed on our first home. The process was long and arduous, but our patience paid off and we found a great home in a nice neighborhood. Thanks to everyone on here who has given advice since I started this little thing!

I now have another question...regarding commuting! I am still going to be working in the Bethesda area for the time being, so my commute from NE Baltimore -> Bethesda and back every work day will be longer than it was going from Silver Spring. (that's an understatement, I know!) I'm hoping that someone familiar with the 695/95/495 highways, and the ICC, can provide some needed advice. I'm hoping to keep working my 9-5 hours...any tips and tricks to getting as pain-free of a commute as possible?

Old 11-01-2012, 02:47 PM

Quote:
So it's been a few weeks since my last post--well, that's because we were closing on the house!! As of yesterday, my wife and I have successfully closed on our first home. The process was long and arduous, but our patience paid off and we found a great home in a nice neighborhood. Thanks to everyone on here who has given advice since I started this little thing!

I now have another question...regarding commuting! I am still going to be working in the Bethesda area for the time being, so my commute from NE Baltimore -> Bethesda and back every work day will be longer than it was going from Silver Spring. (that's an understatement, I know!) I'm hoping that someone familiar with the 695/95/495 highways, and the ICC, can provide some needed advice. I'm hoping to keep working my 9-5 hours...any tips and tricks to getting as pain-free of a commute as possible?
Congrats!

Can you work 7-3 instead? I would say that could save you at least an hour of sitting in traffic each day.

MdTA toll rates: Baltimore Harbor Tunnel, Fort McHenry Tunnel and Francis Scott Key Bridge Get yourself a commuter discount EZ Pass (for use in the Ft McHenry tunnel).

Is your job near a Red Line station in Bethesda? If you must keep the 9-5 hours it might actually be a wash, time wise, to use MARC and the Red Line. It's a long commute either way, for sure.

Old 11-01-2012, 03:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HandsUpThumbsDown View Post
Congrats!

Can you work 7-3 instead? I would say that could save you at least an hour of sitting in traffic each day.

MdTA toll rates: Baltimore Harbor Tunnel, Fort McHenry Tunnel and Francis Scott Key Bridge Get yourself a commuter discount EZ Pass (for use in the Ft McHenry tunnel).

Is your job near a Red Line station in Bethesda? If you must keep the 9-5 hours it might actually be a wash, time wise, to use MARC and the Red Line. It's a long commute either way, for sure.
Holy...yikes. I knew it would be bad, but that bad?? I could probably adjust my hours but would like to ideally keep them as close to 9-5 as I can. A colleague of mine lives in Cockeysville and commutes into Bethesda daily, and gave me several routes he takes (he works a 7-3 schedule). Sounds like taking 695 to 70 to 29, and then the ICC to Georgia Ave, may not be doable everyday, but hopefully that's the easiest way most of the time?

With the EZ Pass, do I have to specially request the commuter discount version, or is that something I activate when I apply for it? Sorry, total newbie on the EZ Pass thing.

Lastly, does anyone have recommendations for a great up-to-the-minute traffic website to use? I have Google Maps on my phone but don't always trust it to give me the best route when I search for "alternate routes"...

Old 11-02-2012, 04:53 AM

Quote:
Holy...yikes. I knew it would be bad, but that bad?? I could probably adjust my hours but would like to ideally keep them as close to 9-5 as I can. A colleague of mine lives in Cockeysville and commutes into Bethesda daily, and gave me several routes he takes (he works a 7-3 schedule). Sounds like taking 695 to 70 to 29, and then the ICC to Georgia Ave, may not be doable everyday, but hopefully that's the easiest way most of the time?

With the EZ Pass, do I have to specially request the commuter discount version, or is that something I activate when I apply for it? Sorry, total newbie on the EZ Pass thing.

Lastly, does anyone have recommendations for a great up-to-the-minute traffic website to use? I have Google Maps on my phone but don't always trust it to give me the best route when I search for "alternate routes"...
This is not a drive I make often, and that is with good reason.

I hadn't considered 695-70-29. It might be better, I'm not sure. It seems like it would add a few miles. There are plenty of unpredictable things that happen on 695, but one thing you can count on is very heavy traffic from 795 to Security Blvd every morning.

When you order your EZ-Pass, I'm pretty sure you can choose a plan based on frequency of use. I don't have one, either.

I don't commute on the highways so hopefully someone else can be of more assistance.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Baltimore