Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Baltimore
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-30-2012, 03:56 PM

61 posts, read 150,489 times

Advertisements

Hi all,

I have perused these forums for a while and am finally getting around to posting! You all are so helpful and knowledgeable, I'm hoping you can give my wife and I some guidance. We currently live near Olney and are looking to move to one of the more affordable neighborhoods near Baltimore proper (my wife currently works in the Inner Harbor area, and I anticipate eventually working near the city soon too).

Here's the "quick and dirty" on what we're working with for our house hunt. We need a house that is:

- A single-family "starter" house (so, no townhouses or duplexes with shared walls) with some decent yard space (we have a dog and have wanted a real yard since we first got her!)
- In a safe, semi-quiet neighborhood, filled with generally nice people
- On the market for no higher than $200k (we can really only spend around $150k)

Now, that last point may have made some people laugh out loud -- but we're young, and that's all we can spend at this point on a starter home. We know we're going to get a house that is older, but are looking for modern insides and minimal repairs and updates given our fairly meager budget.

It would be great to be close to decent restaurants and shopping too -- we are HUGE foodies.

We've identified Pikesville, Nottingham/Perry Hall, and potentially Randallstown as areas that may be worth looking in. Originally I thought Owings Mills was out of the question due to crime, but people on these boards seem to believe that OM is not such a bad area (and there are nice-looking houses online in our price range there).

I've also heard Sykesville/Eldersburg is good. Can anyone give me their two cents and help a young couple out?? Any advice would be *much* appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-30-2012, 05:05 PM

7,301 posts, read 13,516,151 times
Sounds difficult but maybe there's something out there. More importantly, what will happen in 2-5 years when one of you gets married?

Old 01-30-2012, 05:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HandsUpThumbsDown View Post
Sounds difficult but maybe there's something out there. More importantly, what will happen in 2-5 years when one of you gets married?
We are married now....? LOL.

Last edited by PennStater818; 01-30-2012 at 05:28 PM..

Old 01-30-2012, 05:35 PM

280 posts, read 675,012 times
Have you considered Parkville?

Old 01-30-2012, 05:37 PM

We actually did look at a couple houses in the Parkville area, but where we looked it was urban, but without the bonus of the city...the houses seemed very close together! Are there better areas of Parkville than others? We could certainly look there again.

Old 01-30-2012, 06:23 PM

280 posts, read 675,012 times
The older areas of Parkville with small houses on small lots would certainly be in you price range, but from driving around there there seem to be areas with larger lots and homes. Sorry I can't be more specific, other than to say keep checking over Parkville listings and listings for Carney, a neighboring area.

Old 01-30-2012, 06:59 PM

7,301 posts, read 13,516,151 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PennStater818 View Post
We are married now....? LOL.
I mentally merged your post with another one I had been reading. Woops!

Old 01-31-2012, 02:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HandsUpThumbsDown View Post
I mentally merged your post with another one I had been reading. Woops!
HA! No worries, I do the same thing frequently.

Does anyone have any strong feelings about Owings Mills (good or bad)? I know we'll be fighting bad traffic frequently since we'll be right off the beltway there, but how about the area itself? Safety is our number one priority wherever we end up living.

Old 01-31-2012, 02:25 PM

1,757 posts, read 5,138,453 times
DM sent

Old 01-31-2012, 10:50 PM

19 posts, read 53,258 times
It's not everyone's first wish but check out Arbutus and Catonsville. I own a single family house in Arbutus that is 1,500sf and was purchased for $210k about 6 years ago. Helpful tools like zillow.com and phone apps like Trulia can go a long way to help you're search. Also check out VAhomes and see if you can pre-qualify.

The other benefit to Arbutus is that you're property is right outside the city limits thus the taxes are WAY lower than city taxes. That's a big jump for a family with limited income.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Baltimore